Another biting thread

Inverse

Nov 16, 2012
Exmouth, Western Australia
Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeet
I'm having all manner of problems with Hollis biting.
She's a lovely bird, full of character and is coming along nicely, she's responding well to clicker training, has never been shy and never bites out of fear or anger.
The problem is that she's a pushy little b***h and nips and bites if she doesn't get her own way.
I was an idiot when I got her and allowed her to sit on my shoulder and I'm now trying to discourage that by stopping her climbing up, result? A bite. Same with if you move an object somewhere she doesn't want or do something she's not happy with.
Any nibbles I say "no biting, Hollis" and gently remove the body part and if she bites she gets put back in her cage.
The problem is that she is out for five minutes at a time maximum before she goes back in again for biting and this is reducing the time we are spending together it's also really quite upsetting.
I'm learning to read her body language but there and I know they can be nippy birds but it's getting a bit out if hand.
What can I do?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
All young birds nibble and bite, as if they are teething.

Many times, birds use their beaks as a third "hand". While being "beaked" may not be the most pleasant experience, it is much different from being bitten, and anyone who has ever really been bitten by a bird will tell you the same thing!

Birds will bite now and then if they are frightened or feel cornered. The bites are often quick and hard -- and the bird's body language will let you know that the did it with the intention of causing pain. Many times a true bite will break the skin, or at least result in a painful "dent".

If you are being beaked, the only real option is to put up with it. It's a fact that birds use their beaks in this way and the most experienced bird owners understand that it's all just part of
owning a bird.

This is just me two cents, hopefully other members will give their valued input.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Beaked, climbing and balance nips I can accept, grinding away on my finger I have issues with :)

Mishka my AG, 5 years old is hormonial at the moment, wants to bite anything and everything, even my fingers.
When handling him now, I always keep some object in my hand to distract him.
Give it a try, you got nothing to lose.
:grey::grey:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey inverse, i don't have the magic answer but offer some insight. Wild fledglings like yours play/fight with other birds who bite back when biten. It's a way of learning what is too much and what is tolerated. it's also part of the process to see if the flock needs a new leader or if the strongest bird is leading the flock. I'd make a big deal when she bites. You need to "nip it in the bud" before it becomes a life long issue. I'm not suggesting you physically punish the bird but find a way to get the message across. Immature birds will test their boundaries ,much like a teenager. Be vocal , turn your back, put her away. Try different approaches but don't give up. And don't forget to praise when she is good. My 40 yr old pet will use her beak to say NO or i don't want too, but she has learned not to bite hard.I suffered many bites when she was younger but she was able to learn what is OK and what is not. It's part of the learning how things work in your flock, teach her . Good luck, hope some of that helps.

Most Reactions

Latest posts