Another outing..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
….As many of you know,my recent obsticles of life haven't been too kind to me,and I was feeling I was treating my fids terribly not giving them the much needed human contact they so desperately need and deserve.

So today,I said !@#$ &^ and did something about it,with Amy at least. We all know how she just LOVES adventures with her favorite parront so I asked if she would like to go out and visit...no complaints from her!

So I packed up her portable table-top T stand and went to my brothers,to show her where we will be staying for a spell. I set her and her stand on the table and went into David's office to have a chat. Amy almost immediately started in with chatter...hello's...zon gibberish..whatch doings and such.

David was getting ready to go to church so we had to leave. My best friend Joe (BB's and Amy's "uncle") is in a rehab place trying to learn to walk..he has terrible diabetic nerve pain and his legs are SOO red and swollen he literally can not walk.
So we went to visit for a spell.Ethel, Joes wife was there.and Joe was out on the floor with a PT and walker helping him.
Amy was on my shoulder making sweet amazon noises and talking a bit to Joe's roommate. Of course they asked many questions. Joes toommate's wife asked if Amy was friendly and if she could hold her.
Amy showed zero aggression so I brought Amy to her and said "don't act nervous and slowly move your closed fist to her belly while softly saying "step up Amy"

That awesome bird turned and looked at me and I said "go ahead Amy,step up,she wont hurt you" and don't you know,with zero hesitation,she stepped right onto that womans fist :D The lady was beside herself! ( she later said she had NEVER had a bird on her hand!) Then to top it off,Amy lowered her head and the woman asked what she was doing. I said she is askink for head scratches. I told her to use her index finger and gently scratch her head.Then Amy lowered her head even lower,until her face was laying sideways on her hand,with eyes closed and beaky open! I told the woman you have just now made a friend for live and she had a huge :D on her face!
I am SO proud of that bird! That's what socialization can do!

We stayed with Joe and Ethel for an hour or so,Amy on my shoulder,she did say a couple words..hello's..called "Ellen" my moms name and made a few Amazon noises.

A guy who was visiting his dad across the hall and asked if he could photograph her. He said he does wild life pictures then makes paintings of them. He scrolled thru his phone and showed me hummingbird pictures the pictures of his paintings that were amazing. He even told me he'll do one of Amy and send it to me!

On the way out,the girl at the reception desk said "Bye Amy" and Amy responded with a very clear HELLO! lol

We then met my brother at his usual dinner location as Amy sat on my shoulder just checking out the customers. David offered her a piece of his lasagna and she clearly made a mess of my sweatshirt lol.

On the way home,we stopped at the local Mookie Mart and TJ (Jonesy's parront) was there and she was so excited to see Amy out with me. We chatted about "Bob" Jonesy's new name now and as we left Amy said again HELLO!
On the way back to the house,Amy started to nibble my ear,my beard,chew my glasses and mumble sweet zon things in my ear..I am positive it is her way of saying "awesome day dad...THANKS!"
She is even warming up to David now.

I love this pretty,intelligent,fiesty,friendly fid with all my being. Thank You Amy for being in my life and being my BEST friend :40: :60: :)

Jim

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What a wonderful day! You shared Amazon love with so many! I'm sure she brought joy! Abd your good karma paid off with getting a portrait wow!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Jim, I can only hope to have the same long term love affair with Salty as you do with Amy . 32 years. Amazing, buddy, simply amazing.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Al my friend,that bird NEVER ceases to amaze me,honestly. Its all do to socialization. You and your Salty Boy have surpassed Amy and I in many ways,and with Salts being such a young dood,you are going to have a life time of suprises,laughs,and unconditional love. I only wish I could/did half the things with Amy as you have done with Salty..YOU are our hero my friend!

PS..I hope you are recovering splendidly..I will be calling you for an update my friend!

Jim

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Jim: Great going for both you and Amy!
Everybody needs a bit of sunshine in this crazy life; I am grinning with happiness Amy brings this to you.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Love hearing about Amy and her outings! Amazons do seem to love going where we do and experiencing the wider world huh? You are lucky she is trustworthy enough to allow strangers to handle. A true ambassador to parrots and amazons everywhere!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What an awesome outing, Jim! Amy is amazingly socialized and brings so much goodness to your life. Best friend indeed!!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I love hearing Amy's outings, if only all parrots could be as well mannered as him!

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots
Parakeet named Blue. Adopted from a Humane Society 5 years ago.

Kirby Cockatiel adopted from a humane society 2018.

Also a slew of other small birds that span my entire childhood.
I love that Amy gets to go out to explore. I have a question for you... Does Amy wear a harness? If so what kind and how did it go adjusting him to wearing one. I'm intrigued by avian harnesses and training one to use them. It would be great to get our current and (possibly a new member) to wear one so we could go outside.

MikeD91

Oct 10, 2018
Media
Conneaut Lake, Pa
Parrots
Bill, Yellow Naped
Amazon.
Banker, Muloccan Cockattoo
What a great story of a day that I hope I can have with my Billy. I can't wait till summer time so I can take my feather friend with me on travels. I never knew that was ok until I seen your stories, now I can't wait. I'm sure that by warmer weather my guy will be ready to venture out and he will love it.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
….As many of you know,my recent obsticles of life haven't been too kind to me,and I was feeling I was treating my fids terribly not giving them the much needed human contact they so desperately need and deserve.

So today,I said !@#$ &^ and did something about it,with Amy at least. We all know how she just LOVES adventures with her favorite parront so I asked if she would like to go out and visit...no complaints from her!

So I packed up her portable table-top T stand and went to my brothers,to show her where we will be staying for a spell. I set her and her stand on the table and went into David's office to have a chat. Amy almost immediately started in with chatter...hello's...zon gibberish..whatch doings and such.

David was getting ready to go to church so we had to leave. My best friend Joe (BB's and Amy's "uncle") is in a rehab place trying to learn to walk..he has terrible diabetic nerve pain and his legs are SOO red and swollen he literally can not walk.
So we went to visit for a spell.Ethel, Joes wife was there.and Joe was out on the floor with a PT and walker helping him.
Amy was on my shoulder making sweet amazon noises and talking a bit to Joe's roommate. Of course they asked many questions. Joes toommate's wife asked if Amy was friendly and if she could hold her.
Amy showed zero aggression so I brought Amy to her and said "don't act nervous and slowly move your closed fist to her belly while softly saying "step up Amy"

That awesome bird turned and looked at me and I said "go ahead Amy,step up,she wont hurt you" and don't you know,with zero hesitation,she stepped right onto that womans fist :D The lady was beside herself! ( she later said she had NEVER had a bird on her hand!) Then to top it off,Amy lowered her head and the woman asked what she was doing. I said she is askink for head scratches. I told her to use her index finger and gently scratch her head.Then Amy lowered her head even lower,until her face was laying sideways on her hand,with eyes closed and beaky open! I told the woman you have just now made a friend for live and she had a huge :D on her face!
I am SO proud of that bird! That's what socialization can do!

We stayed with Joe and Ethel for an hour or so,Amy on my shoulder,she did say a couple words..hello's..called "Ellen" my moms name and made a few Amazon noises.

A guy who was visiting his dad across the hall and asked if he could photograph her. He said he does wild life pictures then makes paintings of them. He scrolled thru his phone and showed me hummingbird pictures the pictures of his paintings that were amazing. He even told me he'll do one of Amy and send it to me!

On the way out,the girl at the reception desk said "Bye Amy" and Amy responded with a very clear HELLO! lol

We then met my brother at his usual dinner location as Amy sat on my shoulder just checking out the customers. David offered her a piece of his lasagna and she clearly made a mess of my sweatshirt lol.

On the way home,we stopped at the local Mookie Mart and TJ (Jonesy's parront) was there and she was so excited to see Amy out with me. We chatted about "Bob" Jonesy's new name now and as we left Amy said again HELLO!
On the way back to the house,Amy started to nibble my ear,my beard,chew my glasses and mumble sweet zon things in my ear..I am positive it is her way of saying "awesome day dad...THANKS!"
She is even warming up to David now.

I love this pretty,intelligent,fiesty,friendly fid with all my being. Thank You Amy for being in my life and being my BEST friend :40: :60: :)

Jim

Oh Jim, This is indeed a lovely story. Sorry I missed it the first time around. I hope you can do more of these special inspirational outings that are so helpful to so many, staff included. :heart:

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I love that Amy gets to go out to explore. I have a question for you... Does Amy wear a harness? If so what kind and how did it go adjusting him to wearing one. I'm intrigued by avian harnesses and training one to use them. It would be great to get our current and (possibly a new member) to wear one so we could go outside.

You'll find a lot of information about harness training here! Training - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

Most Reactions