Another rescue...;)

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
Wife told me this was going to happen.. Well I have been looking for a new cage for the new GW..and answered an ad for a corner cage..when I got to the house they showed me the cage with a really sick looking BG.. Feathers were missing and tail was mutilated.. I asked her if the bird was sick.. (didn't want to buy a cage that might have kept a sick bird) .. She stated she had her checked and vet says it stress related... I asked her what the vet recommended and she stated that he needed more interaction.. Which she obviously couldn't do.. As she was really scared of him...Needless to say..I ended up with the cage and the bird....

Took bird to the avian vet this morning and he tells me he had seen the bird recently and he did in fact do some test all came back fine..he looked him over again ..and I asked him to do blood test again.. When I got home I placed him in my hospital cage and I disassemble her cage and scrubbed every section down with a bleach solution (it was filthy)

She is settling in fine ..brought her a ton of toys..It's been almost two days.. And not one feather at the bottom of her cage...she is eating fine, poop looks good.. But I have one concern.. Previous owner tells me she thinks she's around 1 1/2 yrs old..But she looks and acts a lot younger.. She makes those soft noises baby birds do and she looks very unsteady on the perches.. She climbs to the top of the cage and flaps her wings like my other birds did just before they took there first flight(she is fully flighted)..

Any info or help on how to help her with the plucking and mutilation... The toys seem to be working... But she is confined to her private room until I get the thumbs up from the Vet and am afraid she might get lonely in there..

Thoughts opinions??

Thank you

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
It sounds like you are already helping! Not one feather and a complete scrub of the nasty cage is a great start. Love, attention, lots of toys, frequent baths and a healthy diet but I'm sure you know all that! How long will you have to wait for test results? What exactly are they testing for?

So far as looking younger, is it her size? her eyes? Or is it her behavior? Could it be that she's never had a chance to develop beyond the baby stage?

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
well sounds like you are off to a great start. As you may have seen my post about baby girl my one rescue macaw that has a huge plucking issue. I stated lots of love and toys will stop plucking. Keep her stimulated teach her tricks and things like that and plenty of preening toys. As preening something else instead of them is what may help.

As for the mutalation watch this closesly she may need a colour around her neck to stop it as it can be life threaten, but i believe in this situation she may just need the love you are giving her:).

I personally think the bird will be just fine in that room as long as you go in and play and let her out. My macaws are pretty independent like i put them on a play gym with toys and they are content until i get around to them. They love there time with me but most macaws ive met love there play gym time to.

As for the age a picture may help. The dark eyes dont always mean a young bird. my blue throat macaw has dark eyes and is 9 years old. Theres a blue and gold at the rescue that is 10 years old and has dark eyes. If she is this young or younger you have to re wean her to straighten her out. It seems these people were very uneducated sadly and the bird payed for it not them...

OP
G

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
My other computers are on a VPN and I cannot access most sites..so I'm on my iPad and tapatalk doesn't seem compatible with this forum..so I can't post pics..

The previous owner seemed nice but she stated that she(lucy)ended up bonding with her boyfriend who is away for weeks at a time he is the only one that can handle him..She went on to say she hand fed it for a few month during that time she kept her in a lg rubbermade container... I really don't think the birds over a yr old.. Her behavior reminds me of my macaws when they were really young....

I really don't know what they are exactly testing for.. I explained to him..I wanted full test to make sure she doesn't have anything that can be passed on to any of my other birds as well as a full blood count with liver functions..(basically I told him to run any test he felt necessary to make sure the bird was healthy)..He said they will call me by the middle of the week if there were any issues...but he doesn't expect anything since she was just tested less that 2 weeks ago...

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
o i see greenwing when i am on my ipad i cant do pictures ether. Maybe i will address that on technical support and see if that could change.

sounds like all the tests will come back just fine and you are doing great.

Thank you for rescuing.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
At least she was being honest on her word about taking her into the vet. The cage was filthy probably because she's too scared to even go in to clean the cage. I have a hard time going to clean Java's cage so I know how she feels. Java is so unpredictable, if you take your eyes off him, he'll be coming up to your face and doing something evil. So the bottom of his cage isn't as clean as I want it to be. The only time I can go at it is IF my partner is home with me so someone can watch Java while I scrub the bottom of his cage. He HATES play stands for some reason so he will NOT go on there. So I can only clean while he's in his cage or on his cage. IF partner is around, he MUST be in his cage cause he will fly attack anyone other then me. It's not easy to clean a cage when you constantly have to keep an eye on the bird. He is my only bird that I must keep full focus on him when I do anything with him around. He gets mad if I'm not.

Most Reactions