Any advice regarding 1 year old CAG destroying feathers? Please need help

Reem12

Aug 14, 2020
Bahrain
Parrots
African Grey Parrot
Heyy Everyone,

Jusy a quick summary on my Annie (CAG) history. She hates to sit inside her cage, but started to get used to it. I dont keep her inside unless i will go out. She have a lot of toys there which she loves to destroy. She also scared of water so couldnt bathe her.

But ive noticed her destroying her feather 4-5 months ago and now she completely destroyed her feathers in the tummy area. And once ive noticed her starting with this behaviour, ive started bathing, lets say forcing her (new a cage and misting/showering her)

I dont feed her seeds, she doesnt like it, so most if her food is veggies, some of zupreem's pellets and fruits. She gets bathed once a week.

Ive also noticed that when i give head scratch she immediately scratch her head as its itiching her, so she might have an itichy skin (note that i dont touch her if i have applied cream or any other products on my hands)

I need some help/afvice on how i can make her stop/reduce the destroying behaviour.
Now she molting and changing her destroyed feathers, especially in the tummy area theres alot of pin feathers coming out there and i dont want her to destroy them again.

Someone have recommeded me to use this product after give her a bath, so i would appreciate it if someone have used this product or no. Im abit worried on using products on her.

https://www.exoticwings.ca/products...nti-feather-picking-first-aid-formula-8-fl-oz

Thanks alot.

26322d1626703457-any-advice-regarding-1-year-old-cag-destroying-feathers-please-need-help-aloe_spary_600x600_crop_center.jpg

Attachments

• Aloe_spary_600x600_crop_center.jpg
    Aloe_spary_600x600_crop_center.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by a moderator:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
More frequent baths, daily or eve 2x a day, and remove all feathers as soon as they are found, to prevent her from getting used to 'playing' with them. Molting is scratching time, so anything that eases the itchiness is good. Not sure about this product though.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I noticed your location.
Is the humidity very low there.
If so adding humility could help.

OP
R

Reem12

Aug 14, 2020
Bahrain
Parrots
African Grey Parrot
I noticed your location.
Is the humidity very low there.
If so adding humility could help.

More frequent baths, daily or eve 2x a day, and remove all feathers as soon as they are found, to prevent her from getting used to 'playing' with them. Molting is scratching time, so anything that eases the itchiness is good. Not sure about this product though.

Thanks for your advice.
The product is supposed to reduce the itchiness but idk if i can trust this product or not

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Increased bathing may help, but I'd be very cautious using sprays. Unless from a trusted brand with verified ingredients, perhaps more harm and expense than good?

Destroying feathers to the point of "plucking" is very difficult behavior to manage. Sometimes illness or parasites, often an emotional response. Please read this informative thread for background and advice: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
My IRN had her wings cut very short and was feather mutilating even after her ankle healed and got a clean bill of health. I purchased feather supplements that seemed to help a lot!! A year later she’s flying!!! I really think the vitamins helped her

Most Reactions

Latest posts