Any red rump owners here?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hey yā€™all! I have the opportunity to possibly get a two and some change year old male opaline red rump. Heā€™s real sweet but hand shy; but I was helping around at the shop heā€™s at and he let me clean his cage and water/food with no fuss. Heā€™s also disease tested which is great for us.

Problem is, I know next to nothing about them. Been googling them this evening -I met him today; I spontaneously volunteered to prep for a sidewalk sale and got to talking about how weā€™d been on and off thinking about another little bird and they suggested him. Google info seems really generic though!

As yā€™all know, I have his highness Kirby. I managed to get a nice yaheetech cage on a steep discount and itā€™s just kind of hanging out in our bird room at the moment, empty. I figure itā€™ll give his highness time to get used to it being in his room - heā€™s quite curious about it, haha.

IMG_0766.jpeg

Itā€™s not a huge cage, I think itā€™s 26.5x17x52. Parakeet sized at best I think? Construction quality is pretty good other than the sliding doors and cheap plastic food trays.

Is this ok? We also have kids, and I plan on having him meet the kids and Kirby before we decide anything.

I know theyā€™re grass parakeets - Kirby only eats pellets and chop (and bird bread) with seeds or nuts only as a reward or treat. I assume though these little fellas need seed in their diet in addition to pellets and chop? The store has him on seed/pellet/chop. Whatā€™s their temperament like? Are they trainable? Do they like being handled, and do they do ok sharing a room with other birds (not in the same cage, and separate out times)?

At first we thought about another cockatiel but theyā€™re too dusty for Kirby with his sinus issues. I assume red rumps are not a powder down bird.

Any info or firsthand accounts would be great. Sorry for the word vomit! Just kinda working it out in my head as I type, haha.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I have a family member with a Red rump. I try not to be too heavily involved with him because of a few reasons (If I was able to handle the work load of another bird, I'd probably have another bird...). He's not tame or overly friendly due to his background. From my understanding they are not too keen on physical interactions (like petting). They can be very territorial towards other birds, I've heard of them killing other birds (in aviary environments).
Diet wise, the one I know is crazy picky still currently a seed junky. If he was mine and I was in complete control of his diet (and he actually ate what we give him) he would receive similar, if not the same, as my budgies. Veggies, pellets, and seed. We're still working with him though.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I have a family member with a Red rump. I try not to be too heavily involved with him because of a few reasons (If I was able to handle the work load of another bird, I'd probably have another bird...). He's not tame or overly friendly due to his background. From my understanding they are not too keen on physical interactions (like petting). They can be very territorial towards other birds, I've heard of them killing other birds (in aviary environments).
Diet wise, the one I know is crazy picky still currently a seed junky. If he was mine and I was in complete control of his diet (and he actually ate what we give him) he would receive similar, if not the same, as my budgies. Veggies, pellets, and seed. We're still working with him though.

Well, the good news is there is basically zero chance of him being able to hurt Kirby, LOL. Heā€™s like, four times the size of a red rump. But thatā€™s good info - I already plan on introducing Kirby to any bird we are thinking about bringing home first. Heā€™s already met a couple potentials (sadly, all cockatiels, which have had to give up on). While I donā€™t expect them to be friends, I donā€™t want to have to police the smaller one and keep it from trying to start stuff by climbing all over Kirbyā€™s cage with him in it during out time! That would be bad.

(By that I mean, if itā€™s so aggressive it wants nothing but to storm over to Kirbyā€™s cage and start crap every time, that would be a no go. I donā€™t mind redirecting when the need arises.)

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I don't have red rumped parakeets but I had been thinking about getting them somewhere in the future and it still isn't crossed out - if I get another bird, it will be the most likely this species.
I have Bourkes and I read somewhere that their character is something between of genera Nephema ("real" grass parrots) and Psephotus (red rumped parrots) so there are some similarities between these two but I know that there are some differences...

I know theyā€™re grass parakeets - Kirby only eats pellets and chop (and bird bread) with seeds or nuts only as a reward or treat. I assume though these little fellas need seed in their diet in addition to pellets and chop? The store has him on seed/pellet/chop. Whatā€™s their temperament like? Are they trainable? Do they like being handled, and do they do ok sharing a room with other birds (not in the same cage, and separate out times)?
I'm for seeds addition but I know that people in US feed in different way so I don't really want to talk about diet because of possible totally different views

I'm not sure what's their temperament like because as I had said - I don't own them but I'm pretty sure it's very hard to train them just like Bourkes. I think I read somewhere that they don't really like touching (like Bourkes). Once time I stayed two days at a small house and we shared the yard with the owner who had red rumped parrots so I could observe them a bit - they weren't tamed so they were afraid of us but I saw them allopreening (Bourkes unlike other parrots don't do it) so maybe they are less "anti-touching"

About sharing rooms with other birds - I think they should be fine but I'm not sure if they are as nice as Bourkes. I would be more worried how your amazon would react

As I have said - most info I wrote is based on Internet and that I found some things similar to Bourkes so it's not 100% reliable info but I decided to write because I noticed that this species is rarely seen on this forum (it's a bit interesting for me because I'd say it's one of top 5 most common parrot species in Poland)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hey yā€™all! I have the opportunity to possibly get a two and some change year old male opaline red rump. Heā€™s real sweet but hand shy; but I was helping around at the shop heā€™s at and he let me clean his cage and water/food with no fuss. Heā€™s also disease tested which is great for us.

Problem is, I know next to nothing about them. Been googling them this evening -I met him today; I spontaneously volunteered to prep for a sidewalk sale and got to talking about how weā€™d been on and off thinking about another little bird and they suggested him. Google info seems really generic though!

As yā€™all know, I have his highness Kirby. I managed to get a nice yaheetech cage on a steep discount and itā€™s just kind of hanging out in our bird room at the moment, empty. I figure itā€™ll give his highness time to get used to it being in his room - heā€™s quite curious about it, haha.

View attachment 50890

Itā€™s not a huge cage, I think itā€™s 26.5x17x52. Parakeet sized at best I think? Construction quality is pretty good other than the sliding doors and cheap plastic food trays.

Is this ok? We also have kids, and I plan on having him meet the kids and Kirby before we decide anything.

At first we thought about another cockatiel but theyā€™re too dusty for Kirby with his sinus issues. I assume red rumps are not a powder down bird.

Any info or firsthand accounts would be great. Sorry for the word vomit! Just kinda working it out in my head as I type, haha.
I have four of those cages and used to keep my budgies in them (two compatible budgies in each cage) but I didn't use those food cups. I like them and my birds did too as far as I could tell. I wish they were bigger but I didn't have room for larger ones in my small house. I replaced them with 24x24x24 plexiglass "cages" that my birds and I love. Now I use these extra cages to protect my lettuce plants from being eaten by critters. I put the bottomless cages over the plants and reach in the door to pick the lettuce.
I see you have a Honeywell air purifier next to the cage. I have several of those and love them. Do you like it?

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Yeah, I am loving the Honeywell. I think Kirby would be way more stuffed up from all the keratin dust from molting without it!

Yeah, what I have read online about these little guys aligns well with what you all have said. The shop owner says he is hand shy but will give him kisses and take millet from his mouth (I know that sounds crazy but when he said hand shy, my first thought was ALSO to try holding millet with my lips, LOL) , so I do think he potentially could tame up or be convinced at least that hands arenā€™t always spooky!

Well, they have a room set aside we can let him out and meet him in. Like I said, he was quite polite about having a stranger do his cage clean. And of course, Kirby will meet (in his Pak O for safety) any bird we are thinking of bringing home. There was also a male white bellied caique who seemed to like me but Iā€™ve heard those guys do NOT tolerate other birds well, so thatā€™s a no go.

I agree the cage is on the smaller side! But I got it for $75, so I couldnā€™t pass up the bargain! I figure if we decide on a parrot whoā€™s too big for it we can resell it locally and get something larger, but it fits perfectly in the space we have for it, heh. Plus, theyā€™d have the rest of the room to play during their ā€œoutā€ time.

Thanks for the info everyone! We have definitely not decided on anything yet, but I feel more equipped with yā€™allā€™s knowledge.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I
Yeah, I am loving the Honeywell. I think Kirby would be way more stuffed up from all the keratin dust from molting without it!

Yeah, what I have read online about these little guys aligns well with what you all have said. The shop owner says he is hand shy but will give him kisses and take millet from his mouth (I know that sounds crazy but when he said hand shy, my first thought was ALSO to try holding millet with my lips, LOL) , so I do think he potentially could tame up or be convinced at least that hands arenā€™t always spooky!

Well, they have a room set aside we can let him out and meet him in. Like I said, he was quite polite about having a stranger do his cage clean. And of course, Kirby will meet (in his Pak O for safety) any bird we are thinking of bringing home. There was also a male white bellied caique who seemed to like me but Iā€™ve heard those guys do NOT tolerate other birds well, so thatā€™s a no go.

I agree the cage is on the smaller side! But I got it for $75, so I couldnā€™t pass up the bargain! I figure if we decide on a parrot whoā€™s too big for it we can resell it locally and get something larger, but it fits perfectly in the space we have for it, heh. Plus, theyā€™d have the rest of the room to play during their ā€œoutā€ time.

Thanks for the info everyone! We have definitely not decided on anything yet, but I feel more equipped with yā€™allā€™s knowledge.
I Read up more on red rumped parakeets and it said that they are very active birds the size of cockatiels that one needs a cage at least 36x24x30 for one and that's with lots of out of cage time. Should not be kept with other birds because they are territorial.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Those cage measurement are inches, right? I have a hard time visualizing measurements and stuff, but if you think a tiel would be happy in there (with plenty of out time) I reckon it is an ok size. If i did all my measurements correct your's is smaller then the one my family member has for their bird, but we purposefully went for a big one because out of cage time with this bird isn't likely anytime soon.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
That appears to be the same cage I keep Romeo my elderly tiel in. He has enough to move around and doesnā€™t hit his tail or anything on the bars.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
That appears to be the same cage I keep Romeo my elderly tiel in. He has enough to move around and doesnā€™t hit his tail or anything on the bars.

Yep, I looked it up before we got it and I saw photos of tiels in it that seemed to have some space, but itā€™s definitely on the small side.

Those cage measurement are inches, right? I have a hard time visualizing measurements and stuff, but if you think a tiel would be happy in there (with plenty of out time) I reckon it is an ok size. If i did all my measurements correct your's is smaller then the one my family member has for their bird, but we purposefully went for a big one because out of cage time with this bird isn't likely anytime soon.
Itā€™s definitely on the smaller side. I was hesitant to grab it but it was so inexpensive and itā€™s brand new. Itā€™s empty now anyway, haha.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I

I Read up more on red rumped parakeets and it said that they are very active birds the size of cockatiels that one needs a cage at least 36x24x30 for one and that's with lots of out of cage time. Should not be kept with other birds because they are territorial.

I read the territorial thing too, but it seemed to mostly apply to aviary birds. I did not read that about cage space though. Where did you find that info? The cage itā€™s in at the store is a parakeet cage so what we have is colossal by comparison, but Iā€™m surprised to hear thatā€™s not sufficient for a little dude!

He didnā€™t seem too enthusiastic about us sadly. Iā€™m not sure. We said weā€™d bring Kirby in and get a gauge of how heā€™s feeling about the birds have in a general sense. The owner offered to let us take him home for free to see if he works out and pay for him if he does or return him if heā€™s not feeling the space. Iā€™m not sure about that. In the mean time we made a bunch of toys at their toy making station and got some free ones they werenā€™t using and said we could have! So, the baby cage will at least look cute and well appointed, albeit empty.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I've been trying to find some more info for you but it is definitely scarce! Red rumps are some of my favourite native birds around me, but because of their territorial tendencies I doubt I'll own any myself.
I do know of someone on another forum who keeps a pair of red rumps and a pair of cockatoos, I did actually find one comment about them dive bombing the 'toos (in a none aviary environment).

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Oh my gosh, I mean, thatā€™s hilarious and a little terrible.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Ok, I brought Kirby in and he didnā€™t give a flip about him or her, haha. The little parakeet was scared of him until they realized he was way too busy taking treats from me, and they settled down. I read a book to both of them and when I finished I think they werenā€™t happy I stopped because they started contact calling! That did startle Kirby, and he wanted to go over and see what the fuss was about, but I kept him in his Pak O and let her ā€œBEEPā€ her little heart out, haha. She did finally take millet from me but isnā€™t food motivated.

Anyone wanna guess gender? She is not very brightly colored so I am thinking a female. Sheā€™s two years and three months old.

IMG_0788.jpeg

IMG_0789.jpeg

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
To clarify- one owner thinks it is a male whoā€™s dull colored due to a mutation, the other thinks itā€™s a female and that the male would have been even more lurid.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ok, I brought Kirby in and he didnā€™t give a flip about him or her, haha. The little parakeet was scared of him until they realized he was way too busy taking treats from me, and they settled down. I read a book to both of them and when I finished I think they werenā€™t happy I stopped because they started contact calling! That did startle Kirby, and he wanted to go over and see what the fuss was about, but I kept him in his Pak O and let her ā€œBEEPā€ her little heart out, haha. She did finally take millet from me but isnā€™t food motivated.

Anyone wanna guess gender? She is not very brightly colored so I am thinking a female. Sheā€™s two years and three months old.

View attachment 51002
View attachment 51003
@ravvlet, I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess at gender, but s/he is absolutely gorgeous šŸ˜ Congratulations!!

Most Reactions