Any tips for a pellet conversion?

CharlieChick

Dec 7, 2020
Hello everyone, I will be changing my lutino lovebirds pellets from ZuPreem fruit blend to Roudybush. I had planned to do this from a long time, but Roudybush pellets weren't able here due to the coronavirus situation here, thankfully they are now. I am fully aware of the dyes and sugars they use in the ZuPreem fruitblend, which is the reason why I want to switch. I have been doing research but wanted some personal advice from bird owners, who may have dealt this in the past or have some insights to share. My lovebirds are both a really picky eater. I can already sense the trouble coming (hahaha). Anyway thank you for reading and I am thankful in advance for your reply!
:rainbow1:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah -- patience. Some parrots take months and months to finally even try pellets or different ones.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have zero experience with lovebirds but well understand the frustrations of dietary changes and agree with desire to shift from Zupreem Fruitblend. Avians are incredibly stubborn and primary technique is to never starve a bird into submission.

Best transition advice I've used is Harrison's protocol for parrots. Not pushing the brand, but might try their techniques for small birds. Should work regardless of pellet: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Interesting one... I did do conversion from seeds to pellets with all of my birds, some took 3 days, some took 7 years, lol. Also, sorry for the upcoming wall of text.

I know that Roudybush have an apple flavour so I did read from others that they were more successful with roudybush than Harrison's for example. I am guessing they will be more bland compared to your current pellets.

First step would be is to stick to the same sized pellet - if it's for lovebird, if they love millet I would suggest to try with "nibble" size first. They are quite small so maybe the bird will be more drawn to it.

Treat the new pellet as a well... treat. See if the bird accepts from you directly. The bird should first understand that what you are offering is a food, since it already eats pelleted food, it might be possible it will accept it immediately.

My Pascal sometimes has to eat at least a few bites from Harrison's Power Treats because lord, his beak is flaky. The power treats contain lots of fats so it's a good and safe way to offer him something oilier, but he is to my shock not a fan of it. Sometimes he accepts, sometimes not, but if I mix it with his pellets, he will eat it.

So, even if your bird doesn't accept the pellet from you, try putting in another bowl and see if the bird will eat it. You can also mix with the old pellets.
Another way what other people do is in the morning, put for an hour old pellets, then swap with Roudybush. Monitor to see if the bird eats. Never leave the bird without food for more than 6h. Good timing would be for start around 2-3h before putting back the old pellets. If they do not want to eat Roudybush at all, that's ok, you can try introducing it back every couple of weeks, once day they might get interested for it.

johnbirds

Dec 11, 2020
Hello everyone, I will be changing my lutino lovebirds pellets from ZuPreem fruit blend to Roudybush. I had planned to do this from a long time, but Roudybush pellets weren't able here due to the coronavirus situation here, thankfully they are now. I am fully aware of the dyes and sugars they use in the ZuPreem fruitblend, which is the reason why I want to switch. I have been doing research but wanted some personal advice from bird owners, who may have dealt this in the past or have some insights to share. My lovebirds are both a really picky eater. I can already sense the trouble coming (hahaha). Anyway thank you for reading and I am thankful in advance for your reply!
Roudybush ,Zeilger,Dr Ds are true Pellets you can crumble a pellet with your fingers. Diets like Harrison,ZuPreem are extruded diets much like dog kibble. I have fed and converted many birds to pelleted diet over 30 yrs. The pelleted diet is the best for me. The biggest problem is over feeding they will almost never choose a pellet when they have so much food to pick from. I measure the food daily on singles and breeding pairs this will help in the birds eating almost everything in the dish. By cutting back just a little and the bird find nothing in the dish and still wanting to eat they will try what you place in there dish,it may take a day or more of this but it always worked for me.When the are hungry and food is in a limited amount they will try and eat other foods. And that is how I converted many hook bills on to pellets and veggies. It is important to by birds from breeders who feed pellets and veggies the all babies from the start they have a better start in life and you have a a easy time with feeding great food.

Most Reactions

Latest posts