Anyone Buffalo NY, Take parrot out for a walk together?

Wei

Sep 7, 2022
Parrots
Hyper red factor pineapple conure
Is there anyone near Buffalo that would like to take their birds outside for a walk?
My parrot conure Liang is looking for a bird friend, we could take them hiking and camping together! Liang loves going outside and exploring the nature, I thought it would be nice if he could have a company with :)
If you like this idea, feel free to contact me.
WechatIMG1471.jpeg
WechatIMG1472.jpeg
WechatIMG1473.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi there. Yes taking your parrot out to enjoy the world is a lot of fun. However, I see you are using a leg shackle on your SUn Conure. This method, while still very common in Asia ( I saw lots in my travels in Hong Kong and CHina), can severely hurt your parrots leg if he decides to try and fly off, or even just falling from your hand/shoulder or perch. Leg shackles are OK for raptors like hawks and falcons - their leg bones and muscles are designed for grabbing prey and holding onto it during flight, and ripping it apart to eat it. Parrots on the other hand have much weaker leg bones and aren't designed to do that. Instead, the safest method is to use a harness of various designs, attached to a light bungee type leash. Please consider switching over to that type of restraint, its much safer for your sunnie.

I had my Amazon out the other day in his Aviator Harness, and at a car wash he got spooked by a car coming out of it. He took off like a bat out of hell, only to be YOINKED up short when the leash became tight. No harm to him, but had it been a leg shackle, I am sure he would have broken his leg.

OP
W

Wei

Sep 7, 2022
Parrots
Hi there. Yes taking your parrot out to enjoy the world is a lot of fun. However, I see you are using a leg shackle on your SUn Conure. This method, while still very common in Asia ( I saw lots in my travels in Hong Kong and CHina), can severely hurt your parrots leg if he decides to try and fly off, or even just falling from your hand/shoulder or perch. Leg shackles are OK for raptors like hawks and falcons - their leg bones and muscles are designed for grabbing prey and holding onto it during flight, and ripping it apart to eat it. Parrots on the other hand have much weaker leg bones and aren't designed to do that. Instead, the safest method is to use a harness of various designs, attached to a light bungee type leash. Please consider switching over to that type of restraint, its much safer for your sunnie.

I had my Amazon out the other day in his Aviator Harness, and at a car wash he got spooked by a car coming out of it. He took off like a bat out of hell, only to be YOINKED up short when the leash became tight. No harm to him, but had it been a leg shackle, I am sure he would have broken his leg.
No worry, I already considered of that, the leash is a specially designed leash that could stretch for several meters! And Liang is being trained since a baby, he's very used to it, and every time when we go out he only stays on my shoulder and doesn't go anywhere else!

OP
W

Wei

Sep 7, 2022
Parrots
No worry, I already considered of that, the leash is a specially designed leash that could stretch for several meters! And Liang is being trained since a baby, he's very used to it, and every time when we go out he only stays on my shoulder and doesn't go anywhere else!
As you can see the curves on the leash it works like a spring that is stretchy, it is biologically designed for events like trying to fly unexpectedly! The force would be evenly separates even if in some cases that really happens, so won't hurt him :)

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Oh, boy! Taking one's parrot(s) outside for a walk, especially without a carrier, is awfully risky! I would never, ever do that!

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
I know a few people that do, some with no tether or anything else. Bird doesn't go anywhere. I would never do it, for me and my bird. My sister took our orange wing Amazon outside, no tether no wings clipped, bird flew away late October NY gone. I hoped someone got him but he probably died. So scared, hungry and alone, I was heartbroken 💔.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good luck to you and Liang then.

miki

Jun 26, 2014
I know a few people that do, some with no tether or anything else. Bird doesn't go anywhere. I would never do it, for me and my bird. My sister took our orange wing Amazon outside, no tether no wings clipped, bird flew away late October NY gone. I hoped someone got him but he probably died. So scared, hungry and alone, I was heartbroken 💔.Ouvh

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Ouch!! I'm so sorry about your loss. That was rather irresponsible and inconsiderate of your sister to take your orange-wing Amazon parrot outside without a tether, or clipped wings. I've also read and heard of birds with clipped wings that were taken outside, without even a tether, who ended up flying away, also. I have to admit, that, as somebody who finds my pet Congo African Grey parrot important, and I had that happened, I'd be so pi**ed off, that I'd be spitting tacks! Your sister never, ever should've done that. I hope you told her off good, because that's what I would've done, regardless of whether or not s/he was a family member.

Anyway, here's hoping that you get another exotic bird that you like, and that your sister learned a lesson from her irresponsible behavior. Take care, stay safe, and all the best.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
Ouch!! I'm so sorry about your loss. That was rather irresponsible and inconsiderate of your sister to take your orange-wing Amazon parrot outside without a tether, or clipped wings. I've also read and heard of birds with clipped wings that were taken outside, without even a tether, who ended up flying away, also. I have to admit, that, as somebody who finds my pet Congo African Grey parrot important, and I had that happened, I'd be so pi**ed off, that I'd be spitting tacks! Your sister never, ever should've done that. I hope you told her off good, because that's what I would've done, regardless of whether or not s/he was a family member.

Anyway, here's hoping that you get another exotic bird that you like, and that your sister learned a lesson from her irresponsible behavior. Take care, stay safe, and all the best.
This was years ago and I was spitting tacks. I wouldn't take mine out with clipped wings either, that would be tempting fate. It shows you how I felt about it because I remember it vividly and I don't think I ever got over it. He was a really cool and personable bird too. People with wings. I still miss him. No one will ever take my birds outside, just me. In a cage or bird leash and harness. This coming late spring I want to start training my ringneck and superb on harnesses and leashes to get them used to it.

OP
W

Wei

Sep 7, 2022
Parrots
Oh, boy! Taking one's parrot(s) outside for a walk, especially without a carrier, is awfully risky! I would never, ever do that!
Well, not risky if you're well prepared. Liang started go out with us since he was a baby, he is well trained and practiced in going outside, the leg leash we chose is also a good protection specifically designed for take outs. We've went many places with him, the Niagara falls watch fire works, or cool out door events. :)
Liang loves explore outside and have fun, he trust us and feel very comfortable going out with us, I believe these are awesome experiences and meaningful memories for us.

OP
W

Wei

Sep 7, 2022
Parrots
I know a few people that do, some with no tether or anything else. Bird doesn't go anywhere. I would never do it, for me and my bird. My sister took our orange wing Amazon outside, no tether no wings clipped, bird flew away late October NY gone. I hoped someone got him but he probably died. So scared, hungry and alone, I was heartbroken 💔.
Sorry for your loss. We would never take Liang out without the leash on, that would just be irresponsible. We always respects Liang's opinion, we could tell weather he's uncomfortable at certain place or enjoying certain places through his attitude and behavior, we wouldn't force him to do things that he doesn't like ;) and we avoids any factors that might be potentially dangerous(always at a safe distance)
Liang really have fun going out, we go pick up pine cones together and Liang loves cuddling with me after walks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts