Are Quakers really 'too loud' for an apartment?

DAislandR

Nov 28, 2017
Galveston Island
Parrots
Grew up with African Grey & Eclectus.
Waiting on a baby Quaker Parrot... His name will be "Aziah Kaide"
Hi everyone! I'm not new here, I pop in every now and again.
I've been debating for a couple of years on adopting a parrot. We had a few while growing up but they came and went. We had a cockatoo, a grey, and the last was an Ekkie. ( My mom still has her.)
All that being said, I've really been wanting to get a parrot for myself now that I'm settled into my career and have an adorable, one bedroom here on the beach. So, after some research and knowing what I want in a (lifetime) companion pet, I have my heart set on a Quaker but... I keep reading and hearing that they may be too loud for an apartment. Regardless, I have the confidence, knowing what a Quaker needs and demands. I have the time to bond and teach, etc. I truly feel that I can keep my baby stimulated enough to keep his noise level/intervals controlled. Most of my neighbors work the same schedule as me, so I think the routine could work out. I just need experienced advice from Quaker parents so I can better assess the possibilities. I am also looking into more apartment friendly species like the Pionus and Senegal but I really want a talker. I'm going to be spending a lot of time with whichever baby I adopt. I just need to decide and its hard... Every bird is amazingly unique and beautiful. How can anyone decide??... Help! LOL
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions ahead of time. This is going to be my first, very own parrot and I can't wait to hear everyone's point of view!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Are quaker parrots loud? Although it obviously all depends on your definition of loud, the short answer is yes, quaker parrots can be very noisy.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We had a quaker parrot many years ago. When they use their full voice, yes, pretty loud and insistent. Also, there is a feral colony of Quakers by my sons house in Queens NY, and you can hear them chattering away several city blocks from the flock.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
It depends on the personality of the individual Quaker. Some Quaker parrots are very loud and persistently vocal, but that isn't true of all QPs. My QP Ralph is actually on the quiet side and is only really loud when he does a Quaker alarm call, which doesn't happen often. He's been an apartment dweller for 11 years with no complaints. There are children and dogs in our building who are routinely much noisier than Ralph at his loudest.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome back with intriguing question! Other variables include apartment construction/layout and quality of sound proofing between adjacent dwellings. Can you network to determine whether other neighbors have birds, history of noise complaints, attitude of managers? A fine reading of rental agreement or lease mandatory to sleuth attitude towards "disturbing peace and tranquility" or similar phraseology. Good luck!!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Theoretically, since you cannot fully know a bird's true personality before you get it, and from what I've read here on other threads, Quakers do have high Chance of high Loudness, would you be able to potentially add soundproofing to a room if bird did indeed turn out to be Too Loud?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
i think you can have a quaker, especially if that's your dream parrot!
I love them and have 3.
They can be plenty loud, but the actual volume ( loud enough to drown out a loud TV action series, isn't ear breaking loud.
The issue is quaker can be continuously loud for hours straight. They like being vocal... but they easily turn to screaming when bored, when in the cage and not with you ..when unhappy. During breeding season there is an uptick in vocals for me.
But when you are meeting their needs, providing plenty of time out of the cage, plenty of social time. A stimulated environment, foraging, all good basic parrot stuff. They are smart, social. And active species.

A person who understands what having a parrot means, and works to include them in their life, isn't likely to have the non stop screaming. People who expect a parrot go be in a cage all day, and just gotten out when convenient, will quickly have a screaming and even plucking quaker...

Many quakers are re homed for screaming. But I feel that is because the people are not providing the right home.

I've taken on a rescue screamer, and deliberately bought a pet store baby that had turned into an unhappy non stop screamer..it had become her go to for self soothing, and frustration. Wow was she ever the most difficult parrot I've worked with ! Screaming from light on till lights off 8 -10 hrs a day utterly non stop......it took a few months to overcome this, with a layered approach, and creating habits of not screaming, and work to prevent screaming sessions from getting started. I'm proud of our success and her now normal parrot noise. Tho she occasionally will want to scream if caged ( during times health issues keep me from letting her out ) the rescue quickly quit screaming once she received a better quality of life with me. And I have one that is just really quiet always. Even when she speaks its whisper quiet.

Like GCC are known to be nippy, a quaker should be known to easily turn to screaming. But both can be great species when taken into account those tendencies.

If you under parrots, and provide for them. I think you would be very happy with a quaker or 3 lol . They are very social, perhaps some of my success is having more than one. Tho 2 can easily be more noise.. I'm pretty sure my re home and my rescue would have been fine as solo birds, my pet store girl I think would not have been happy as a solo bird. But they are all happy to have a bird friend, and I benefit from them having interaction with each other and not always demanding my attention. Tho they get tons of attention from me ..

Well Im blabbering ... hope it helps, feel free to ask anything.

flyingron

Jan 3, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Parrots
Bacca (Quaker)
Laurasea is right. Bacca makes rather cute and quiet vocalizations unless she fears she's being ignored and then squawks mightily. The usual cause is if there's a party going on and she's not invited.

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
Hi everyone! I'm not new here, I pop in every now and again.
I've been debating for a couple of years on adopting a parrot. We had a few while growing up but they came and went. We had a cockatoo, a grey, and the last was an Ekkie. ( My mom still has her.)
All that being said, I've really been wanting to get a parrot for myself now that I'm settled into my career and have an adorable, one bedroom here on the beach. So, after some research and knowing what I want in a (lifetime) companion pet, I have my heart set on a Quaker but... I keep reading and hearing that they may be too loud for an apartment. Regardless, I have the confidence, knowing what a Quaker needs and demands. I have the time to bond and teach, etc. I truly feel that I can keep my baby stimulated enough to keep his noise level/intervals controlled. Most of my neighbors work the same schedule as me, so I think the routine could work out. I just need experienced advice from Quaker parents so I can better assess the possibilities. I am also looking into more apartment friendly species like the Pionus and Senegal but I really want a talker. I'm going to be spending a lot of time with whichever baby I adopt. I just need to decide and its hard... Every bird is amazingly unique and beautiful. How can anyone decide??... Help! LOL
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions ahead of time. This is going to be my first, very own parrot and I can't wait to hear everyone's point of view!
Mine is very quiet. Aside from a polite squawk when he wakes up “mom! I’m awake! Time for sunshine and breakfast and clicker training!” And a few squawks if I make the mistake of making a phone call with him in the room (hey! Attention on me, not on that strange little black thing!”) he just whistles or talks or laughs or whatever. But I don’t think that’s normal. Lol!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts