Are these ok to give..??

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Are these apricots ok to feed as a treat.? Also, for sprouting seeds...is this apple cider vinegar ok or does it have to be the bragg one.? Seems to be the one I see everyone use

Attachments

• 510104011_0_1280x1280.jpg
    510104011_0_1280x1280.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 46
  • ZNG877.jpg
    ZNG877.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 46

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Also not sure about apricots. Haven't looked into them but I suspect in general they're okay. Someone please feel free to correct me though.

I will say, I'm not a fan of any of the dried fruits, as they're a much higher concentration of sugar. Can't see from the package in your picture, but many dried fruits have some kinds of chemical additives for various purposes... Maintaining freshness, moisture content, texture, keeping them from sticking together, etc.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
It seems that may be an Aldi store brand, but their site's pages for the product are broken. So, I found another page, and it shows the apricots are preserved with sulphur dioxide. Some parrot sources say to avoid that ingredient for parrots.

A “sulphuring” process is sometimes used to preserve the color and flavor of the fruit while preserving some nutrients and destroying others. Sulfur dioxide is a gas that is created by burning coals or oils that contains sulfur. It is TOXIC and trace amount can be found in dried fruits having endured that process. Look for the words “sulphur”, “sulphites” or “sulphur dioxide” on the label to identify which have been treated and AVOID them.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Some people don’t like eating or feeding sulfured dried fruits because of the sulfur. My thought is that dried fruits are high in sugar and should only be a special treat whether sulfured or not.

So, I had some bird treats of dried mango that I was using to reward my birds for coming out, stepping up, etc. i only gave tiny portions to the birds. For example, there was a 1/4” cube of dried mango and I used my fingernail or a knife to cut 1/3 off for the Quaker and 2/3 for the Meyers parrot. Just because fruit is natural doesn’t mean a lot is the best for you or your bird (not speaking of lorises and other special diet parrots).

Most Reactions

Latest posts