Are these pellets fine?

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I'm a dump when it comes to pellets and I'm thinking what to try for Bourkes - currently Fela has vitamin A/E deficiency and I see that Allpet Fruit seems to have a lot of vitamin A. I had never heard about Allpet before, maybe because here we have different pellets available than in US.

Anyway, here's what's written about it:
Warning: the part below is translated through Google translator because 1. I'm lazy 2. many words I wouldn't even know how to translate.

Composition: grains, fruit (min. 20% hazelnuts, peeled peanuts, dehydrated apple, raisins, bananas, dates), vegetable by-products, vegetable protein extracts, minerals, oils, vitamins, oligosaccharides, l-lysine, methionine, flavors , yucca extract, food colorings and preservatives eec.

Analysis: Vitamin A - 21,000 IU; D3 - 800 IU; E - 52.5 mg; K1 - 75 mg; B1 - 2.8 mg; B2 - 4.2 mg; B6 - 2.8 mg; B12 - 0.04 mg; H - 0.14 mg; hydrochloride 350 mg; Magnesium 70mg; Iron 140mg; Copper 17.5mg; Cobalt 0.7mg; Zinc 105mg; Potassium iodide 1.4mg; Selenium 0.21mg; dl-pantothenic acid 8.75 mg; Vitamin PP 28 mg; Folic acid - 0.52 mg
Humidity: 6.1%
Crude protein: 17.1%
Crude fats: 10.8%
Crude fiber: 3.6%
Ash: 4.1%

Edit: I just noticed it's a wrong subforum. Can supermods move it to "Parrot Food, recipes and diet"?

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yep! Iā€™ll move it for you! šŸ˜Š

As far as pellets go, I think the ingredients are good.
Do your Bourkes eat vegetables? For vitamin a, any veg thatā€™s orange or dark leafy greens and for vitamin E you could crush sunflower seeds or drizzle a little palm oil on fruit or veg.

If they will eat the pellets that would be helpful too.
So the vet did a blood test? What did they recommend you do?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Do your Bourkes eat vegetables? For vitamin a, any veg thatā€™s orange or dark leafy greens and for vitamin E you could crush sunflower seeds or drizzle a little palm oil on fruit or veg.

I wonder kind of grains?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Regardless of where in this World the Pellet is manufactured, it is important that it is produced in a Human Grade certified facility as the cleanliness and ingredients control is much higher. Sadly, manufactured in China still remains problematic as controls still are sub-standard.

The process of producing Pellets require that the mixture be sterilized (cooked at high temperature) to assure shelf life (limit spoilage). As a result, the food contain is very low. What separates one Pellet from another is what chemicals they add to the mix prior to forming, but after heating. What you are left to compare is the added Vitamins and minerals.

Things to avoid are: Added colouration, sugar (remember there are several terms for sugar) and salt.

What are the foundations of a healthy diet remains natural, fresh foods, Fresh Veggies, tree based nuts and grains with pellets added as a supplement based on recent blood tests.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots

Thank you all.

About veggies - yeah, they eat veggies.

About vet - I was at vet but she didn't do a blood test so I'm not sure if she was 100% sure about what exactly kind of deficiency Fela has (sadly no typical avian vet near me, this vet is the only one who treats parrots in available for me area) - from my googling it looks like vitamin A deficiency.
The vet recommended using Nekton-S (I'm not sure if you have such thing in US) and trying with pellets by crushing them and mixing with seeds. She also gave me sodium nitrate (name by Google translator again) to give 0.1 ml to water before I get Nekton-S (I have to order it)

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Today the order arrived and first I gave a single pellet to Zenek to see his reaction... I asked him if it's good and he answered "Not good":confused:
It's nice that he answered me but it's sad that he doesn't like it. (unless he just said so, later I'll try again)

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I believe it was a vitamin a or d deficiency Nico had when I first got him. The first vet I brought him to (non avian) recommended a supplement. They were just trying to help. When I finally got to an avian vet they took him off the supplement. They recommended him getting these things through fresh foods, and lighting to avoid overdosing. Itā€™s always been recommended that I donā€™t use pellets with a lot of additives even with vitamins. I use roudybush pellets accept for my one conure whoā€™s an extremely picky eater. I do give lafeber avi-cakes, and nutri-berries as treats. I always have pine nuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds on hand as well but I only use them as treats.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When test new foods (pellets), I recommend that it be ground
and sprinkled over the current (acceptable) offering. With time, one allows the new pellet to become ever larger until it is severed in its natural size.

Last edited:

Most Reactions