Ave

Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
Ave all. My name is obvious from my username. Some call me that, some call me other names.

That aside, I found this forum on a google search. At the moment, I have 2 birds. A conure, and a green wing. The conure hates everyone who is not me. When I went to buy her, she had bonded with me before we even got out the door. She's sweet as hell, but also a pain in the fingers. The macaw I have is a green wing. I feel really bad for her. The people that had her before she was surrendered to the pet store where I got her were abusive. They left her in her cage for years and never interacted with her. The only time she saw them was when they fed her. As a result, she started picking at her feathers. A large part of her body is permanently featherless. I had to bring her home. I love on her and she loves on me. I don't mind having a bird that is bald in places. She's one of the sweetest birds I have ever seen.

As for a little about me, I'm 41, live in Missouri, love video games when the conure isn't out, and I love to write. At the moment I have written 2 full length novels, several short stories and a hell of a lot of unconventional poetry. I have also written 3 songs. Nothing is published, and no songs are recorded. But they're written.

I don't know what else to say. I have always sucked at introductions, so if there's anything I left out, just ask.

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Ave all. My name is obvious form my username. Some call me that, some call me other names.

That aside, I found this forum on a google search. At the moment, I have 2 birds. A conure, and a green wing. The conure hates everyone who is not me. When I went to buy her, she had bonded with me before we even got out the door. She's sweet as hell, but also a pain in the fingers. The macaw I have is a green wing. I feel really bad for her. The people that had her before she was surrendered to the pet store where I got her were abusive. They left her in her cage for years and never interacted with her. The only time she saw them was when they fed her. As a result, she started picking at her feathers. A large part of her body is permanently featherless. I had to bring her home. I love on her and she loves on me. I don't mind having a bird that is bald in places. She's one of the sweetest birds I have ever seen.

As for a little about me, I'm 41, live in Missouri, love video games when the conure isn't out, and I love to write. At the moment I have written 2 full length novels, several short stories and a hell of a lot of unconventional poetry. I have also written 3 songs. Nothing is published, and no songs are recorded. But they're written.

I don't know what else to say. I have always sucked at introductions, so if there's anything I left out, just ask.
Welcome!

I commemorate you for taking in your green wing! And you conure!

Two novels? What genre?

Also, we love pics on this forum 😁

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Parrot Forum!
Although I am an Amazon Snob, Macaws seem to seek me out! They are just such lovers and when they come out of their shells, they love being loved on. and also returning it!
Enjoy!!

OP
Jennifer RachaelAnn
Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
My heart went out to her when we saw her. I couldn't have left without bringing her home. She needed someone who would love on her and show her unlimited kindness and love. She bonded with me immediately, just like the conure did. For which I am grateful.

As for my books, they're obviously fiction. The first one was in the same style of story as The Outsiders. About a group of friends, and the issues they end up facing. I guess it's kind of a drama.
The others are more like a thriller type stories. There are two things that are a constant in my stories. Someone dies, which is actually not intentional, it's just where the story led me. And I use the name of my imaginary friend when I was a child.
The drama one, I have taken down because I'm revamping a huge part of the story. I didn't like it when I wrote it, and have no idea why I kept it. But it's on its eighth draft anyway, while the other book is on its seventh. I've been slacking off though, and haven't worked on either of them in ages. I just haven't been hit by that itch to write. Forcing it will put out a story that is 100% worthless. You have to wait until the creative bug bites you. And one thing to remember is that the first sentence is the hardest part of the book to write. For me, my stories write themselves. I'm just the idiot behind the keyboard.

OP
Jennifer RachaelAnn
Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Parrot Forum!
Although I am an Amazon Snob, Macaws seem to seek me out! They are just such lovers and when they come out of their shells, they love being loved on. and also returning it!
Enjoy!!
I know what the snob thing is like.;) I'm a Citizen snob (wrist watches) and I'm also a pitbull snob.
I can't say anything on Amazons, as I can't actually remember if I have even encountered one.

One thing I debated on telling, is that this isn't the first macaw we've had. The first one was a blue throat, named Dante's Inferno, or just Dante. He bonded with my wife instantly. He was kinda weird, as he absolutely hated men. He didn't particularly like me either. But the thing that breaks my heart is that when Covid hit, we were forced to give him up, because we simply couldn't afford to take care of him. We both cried for days.

But we have Maxine and Apple, so things are looking up.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I know what the snob thing is like.;) I'm a Citizen snob (wrist watches) and I'm also a pitbull snob.
I can't say anything on Amazons, as I can't actually remember if I have even encountered one.

One thing I debated on telling, is that this isn't the first macaw we've had. The first one was a blue throat, named Dante's Inferno, or just Dante. He bonded with my wife instantly. He was kinda weird, as he absolutely hated men. He didn't particularly like me either. But the thing that breaks my heart is that when Covid hit, we were forced to give him up, because we simply couldn't afford to take care of him. We both cried for days.

But we have Maxine and Apple, so things are looking up.

COVID resulted in vast changes across families, friends and sadly even our Parrots. We where freshly retired when it hit and that allows us stability, but the lose of contact with family and friends are tradition that we are working at regaining. May we as a nation, never do that again..

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
COVID resulted in vast changes across families, friends and sadly even our Parrots. We where freshly retired when it hit and that allows us stability, but the lose of contact with family and friends are tradition that we are working at regaining. May we as a nation, never do that again..
What do you mean when you say that you're an Amazon snob?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In my opinion, there are far too many individuals that have a want to refer to themselves as experts. They read a few books, copy the writings of others, spend just a few years around Parrots and then self-proclaim their status as an expert.

I have been nose to bill with Amazons for near 50 years, have worked with individuals with a lifetime of knowledge with Parrots that have provided writings with supporting footnotes to support their writings. I have also worked with parrot field researchers with funding from Universities and Corporations of size and who provided their studies of South American Parrots in their natural environments.

So, what does that have to do with my calling myself an Amazon Snob? I have a long and deep love for Amazons. My wife and I have dedicated ourselves to caring for Older Amazons, those best described as old, ill, abused, nothing more then yesterdays trash and no want to ever trust Humans again. That as supported with my knowledge base, I have come to refer to myself as an Amazon Snob, as it covers our love for Amazons, our continued increase in knowledge over the years and the reality that we continue to learn ever more. Some how, the term expert just does sit and being a lover of Amazon, a snob, if you will, just made more sense.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
In my opinion, there are far too many individuals that have a want to refer to themselves as experts. They read a few books, copy the writings of others, spend just a few years around Parrots and then self-proclaim their status as an expert.

I have been nose to bill with Amazons for near 50 years, have worked with individuals with a lifetime of knowledge with Parrots that have provided writings with supporting footnotes to support their writings. I have also worked with parrot field researchers with funding from Universities and Corporations of size and who provided their studies of South American Parrots in their natural environments.

So, what does that have to do with my calling myself an Amazon Snob? I have a long and deep love for Amazons. My wife and I have dedicated ourselves to caring for Older Amazons, those best described as old, ill, abused, nothing more then yesterdays trash and no want to ever trust Humans again. That as supported with my knowledge base, I have come to refer to myself as an Amazon Snob, as it covers our love for Amazons, our continued increase in knowledge over the years and the reality that we continue to learn ever more. Some how, the term expert just does sit and being a lover of Amazon, a snob, if you will, just made more sense.
Good explanation. I can see you are very passionate about Amazons! The word "snob" just threw me because I associate "snob" with something more negative, like an "Amazon snob" would be someone who thought Amazons were so much superior to other kinds of parrots.

OP
Jennifer RachaelAnn
Mar 23, 2023
Parrots
Green Wing - Maxine
Conure - Apple
Good explanation. I can see you are very passionate about Amazons! The word "snob" just threw me because I associate "snob" with something more negative, like an "Amazon snob" would be someone who thought Amazons were so much superior to other kinds of parrots.
That's a very easy association, as most people would think the same. I had seen the phrase used before, so I adopted it about my watches. It's a bit of a joke in this context, but it's almost always just an adjective as opposed to something negative.

Most Reactions

Latest posts