Avian companionship

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
My bird is a softbill and not a parrot, but I still want to be an active member here.

I encourage you to participate in the discussion of avian companionship.

I think about my relationship with my canary a lot. I have owned many pets throughout the years, several species, and there wasn't a single one I failed to bond with.

They all provided me with great and fulfilling companionship, which I will always fondly remember.

I appreciated them equally, each in his own way and had no preference for any single one, until I bought a bird.

I haven't been a bird owner for a significant amount of time, my canary is the first pet bird I've had, but in this short time I've had him I formed a stronger attachment to him than with any of my other pets.

Taming a bird requires patience, confidence, calmness and an understanding of what the bird is like. It's not something that happens without effort, as it would with a different pet.

Taming a bird is often a process of making mistakes and learning. The bird's reactions tell us everything.

This is why it's fulfilling when the bird approaches you on his own.

I think this way of taming creates a stronger, more meaningful bond with your pet.

Owning a bird, I can now say that I have a clear preference for them, especially my canary, who is the most interesting bird I have ever seen.

This kind of relationship built on respect and understanding, no matter how much effort is required, is worthwhile.

Let me know what you think.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Oh I think you are right.
Bird companionship is like no other...

Just wait until you fall in love with an Amazon!

Are canaries singular birds?
is he hand tamed?

I'd like to have a few canaries in the future I think, maybe...

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
Oh I think you are right.
Bird companionship is like no other...

Just wait until you fall in love with an Amazon!

Are canaries singular birds?
is he hand tamed?

I'd like to have a few canaries in the future I think, maybe...

Canaries are territorial and aren't suited for being with other birds unless they have a large aviary.

Yes my canary is hand tame and enjoys spending time on my hands. He isn't fearful of my hands and doesn't mind if I reach for him.

He allows me to pat him as well but doesn't enjoy it so I don't.

Canaries are great birds, I think you would find they're very similar to parrots once you get to know them.

But as they aren't naturally social, taming them requires more patience and repetition. Nothing too difficult.

They are more docile than parrots in the way that they won't bite to show you when they've had enough, or if they do, they can't harm you in any way.

You will spend more time learning to understand your canary's calls and posture to determine his comfort.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It's so nice to see another member with softbills! I don't currently have any canaries, but I sure do love them. We have Zebra Finches, Gouldians, a Chinese Hwamei Laughingthrush and a Bearded Barbet:)

They are incredible birds, and I definitely have a bond with ours, even the finches.
I'm really glad you joined us!

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
It's so nice to see another member with softbills! I don't currently have any canaries, but I sure do love them. We have Zebra Finches, Gouldians, a Chinese Hwamei Laughingthrush and a Bearded Barbet:)

They are incredible birds, and I definitely have a bond with ours, even the finches.
I'm really glad you joined us!
I've looked through all your softbill pictures, they seem like great birds. Your bearded barbet immediately caught my attention, his colors and beak are beautiful, the name suits him as well, Dactyl.

Thanks for having me, the community is very friendly.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
My bird is a softbill and not a parrot, but I still want to be an active member here.

I encourage you to participate in the discussion of avian companionship.

I think about my relationship with my canary a lot. I have owned many pets throughout the years, several species, and there wasn't a single one I failed to bond with.

They all provided me with great and fulfilling companionship, which I will always fondly remember.

I appreciated them equally, each in his own way and had no preference for any single one, until I bought a bird.

I haven't been a bird owner for a significant amount of time, my canary is the first pet bird I've had, but in this short time I've had him I formed a stronger attachment to him than with any of my other pets.

Taming a bird requires patience, confidence, calmness and an understanding of what the bird is like. It's not something that happens without effort, as it would with a different pet.

Taming a bird is often a process of making mistakes and learning. The bird's reactions tell us everything.

This is why it's fulfilling when the bird approaches you on his own.

I think this way of taming creates a stronger, more meaningful bond with your pet.

Owning a bird, I can now say that I have a clear preference for them, especially my canary, who is the most interesting bird I have ever seen.

This kind of relationship built on respect and understanding, no matter how much effort is required, is worthwhile.

Let me know what you think.
I feel exactly the same way. I find it hard to describe how special it is to love a bird and have it love you.
I love those little canaries and finches as well they have beautiful songs and move at 2 times the speed of usual birds. Unfortunately they don't mix well with parrots otherwise I would get one like a zebra or gourdian or these little orange ones that are so bright they almost appear fluorescent.
If you can post some pics that would be great

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
I feel exactly the same way. I find it hard to describe how special it is to love a bird and have it love you.
I love those little canaries and finches as well they have beautiful songs and move at 2 times the speed of usual birds. Unfortunately they don't mix well with parrots otherwise I would get one like a zebra or gourdian or these little orange ones that are so bright they almost appear fluorescent.
If you can post some pics that would be great
My canary is orange but a more muted color with white spots.

Attachments

• IMG_20240206_150540.jpg
    IMG_20240206_150540.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 16

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
My canary is orange but a more muted color with white spots.
Ahhh he/she is adorable.
I always wondered how much different to parrots they are. I didn't think you could tame them, I always thought they were more aviary birds than pet birds.
I'm a typical bird lover that shows interest in many kinds of birds not just parrots. I have a huge fascination with raptors, birds of prey as well

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
I always wondered how much different to parrots they are. I didn't think you could tame them, I always thought they were more aviary birds than pet birds.
This is a common misconception.

A lot of the times it depends on the owner and his efforts to tame the bird. There aren't many discussions regarding the taming of finches as with parrots but even if there were, following someone's taming path may not always be successful.

I think it's possible to tame any species by providing them food, safety and respect.

There are times when Hulu doesn't want to be social with me and I respect it.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This is a common misconception.

A lot of the times it depends on the owner and his efforts to tame the bird. There aren't many discussions regarding the taming of finches as with parrots but even if there were, following someone's taming path may not always be successful.

I think it's possible to tame any species by providing them food, safety and respect.

There are times when Hulu doesn't want to be social with me and I respect it.
It helps if the bird has been hand raised

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I LOVE softbills! I would have more birds to my 4 parrots, but.... looking for a new, larger parrot and all that. I have an especially soft spot for zebra finches. I'm sure I would love canaries if I ever got some!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I've looked through all your softbill pictures, they seem like great birds. Your bearded barbet immediately caught my attention, his colors and beak are beautiful, the name suits him as well, Dactyl.

Thank you! His name came from his looks, and then someone pointed out that he was Terry's Dactyl - I hadn't even realized it was a great pun too!

I also love the name Hulu!
Thanks for having me, the community is very friendly.
Glad you're enjoying yourself!

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
Thank you! His name came from his looks, and then someone pointed out that he was Terry's Dactyl - I hadn't even realized it was a great pun too!

I also love the name Hulu!

Glad you're enjoying yourself!

Are all of your softbills handtame? How did you go about getting a barbet?

I named Hulu after a food, because I thought his colors reminded me of it. It suits him very well, though many think the name is unusual.

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
I LOVE softbills! I would have more birds to my 4 parrots, but.... looking for a new, larger parrot and all that. I have an especially soft spot for zebra finches. I'm sure I would love canaries if I ever got some!
Zebra finches are great birds, though a bit more fearful than canaries, if handtaming is a priority for you.

Java finches are commonly domesticated and handraised.

You could always get your softbills their own section of the house, if you're in a house, that is.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Are all of your softbills handtame? How did you go about getting a barbet?

I named Hulu after a food, because I thought his colors reminded me of it. It suits him very well, though many think the name is unusual.
The finches are in a huge flight and not tame. MaSuka (my laughingthrush) will jump onto our finger when we're changing her water and food, which is a huge improvement over her terror when we used to walk in the room when she first came to us.

We got Dactyl from a bird breeder I know from local bird shows, and apparently Dactyl originally came from the Calgary zoo when his mate passed away. I'm not sure how many homes he had between my show friend and the zoo, though. I looked for a mate for him for the first few years after we got him, but couldn't find a single one here in Canada, unfortunately:(
Dactyl also isn't tame.

I've never heard of Hulu food, and when I Googled it all that came up was the Hulu streaming
service:( Would you mind describing it for me? I'm really interested! Hulu is a great name, and definitely unusual to me. I love it!

OP

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
I looked for a mate for him for the first few years after we got him, but couldn't find a single one here in Canada, unfortunately:(
Dactyl also isn't tame.

I've never heard of Hulu food, and when I Googled it all that came up was the Hulu streaming
service:( Would you mind describing it for me? I'm really interested! Hulu is a great name, and definitely unusual to me. I love it!
Sad to hear Dactyls story, but it's great you took him.

If you write Bingtang hulu you will see it.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Most Reactions

Latest posts