Aviary birds and birds of prey?

choccymilk

Dec 16, 2022
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can offer advice about my current situation.

We have two conures that live in an outdoor aviary, bought from someone who was urgently rehoming them, they have been aggressive toward people since I got them. Recently a medium-sized bird of prey has been hanging out around the aviary, we have never had this problem in the 5 years we've owned them. The conures are terrified of it. The first day I noticed it I scared it off and it didn't come back for months, however, that night I noticed the male conure's nose had a small wound.
I decided to leave it be and to keep a close eye on it because he was acting his usual self. Getting him to the vet would have been extremely stressful for him, I didn't think it was worth it, but I was ready to do so at any time if he wasn't doing well. The small wound healed, he is ok.
It is impossible for the large bird to get inside the aviary, I don't know how my conure got hurt.

I saw the bird of prey again today, I kept an eye on the aviary but never saw it land near it. Tonight when I went out to feed them, he was bleeding again this time on his face between his beak and his eye. The wound is as small as it was last time but I am worried for him if he keeps doing this. I want to do the best for him.
Is it worth stressing him out and taking him to the vet this time? Has anyone had trouble with this before, how can I keep the predator away or the conures calm?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With Birds of Prey activity in your area, what you need to consider is moving them indoors away from the (I am guess a) Hawk, which will continue returning until they are all dead or they are moved to a safe location.

Taking a Parrot that has likely been attacked or hurt itself from attempting to avoid the attack to an Avian vet is the proper thing to do.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I have been told stories of birds being killed or severely injured through aviary wire. The safest aviaries have double mesh, one layer, a small gap, and then another layer.
You need to do something to ensure your birds do not receive further injuries, whether this is moving them inside or making their aviary safer. Can you create a screen of some kind to limit birds of prey being able to see and target your birds? I also do not recommend having perches place on or near the aviary mesh.

OP
C

choccymilk

Dec 16, 2022
I have been told stories of birds being killed or severely injured through aviary wire. The safest aviaries have double mesh, one layer, a small gap, and then another layer.
You need to do something to ensure your birds do not receive further injuries, whether this is moving them inside or making their aviary safer. Can you create a screen of some kind to limit birds of prey being able to see and target your birds? I also do not recommend having perches place on or near the aviary mesh.
Thanks for this, even my vet didn't suggest it but it's a great idea. I will definitely put up some mesh as soon as possible. I will also put up some cover like a curtain that I can pull over if any scary birds are around ❤

OP
C

choccymilk

Dec 16, 2022
With Birds of Prey activity in your area, what you need to consider is moving them indoors away from the (I am guess a) Hawk, which will continue returning until they are all dead or they are moved to a safe location.

Taking a Parrot that has likely been attacked or hurt itself from attempting to avoid the attack to an Avian vet is the proper thing to do.
I appreciate your reply, wasn't aware it would keep coming back again and again. After seeing photos my vet advised to avoid catching him and to just watch him as I had been unless his behaviour changes. Unfortunately moving them indoors isn't an option for us

Most Reactions

Latest posts