zoebeanzz

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Alexandrine, Two tiels, english and standard budgies!
Hello all! This is my first post on here. I bought my alexandrine at around 8 months old. he is now 12-13 months. While calm on my shoulder and hands, when I go to have him step up he usually flaps his wings and looks startled (even with a very slow approach). He does step up, but sometimes he will “fly” away before he does so. He does this ESPECIALLY in his cage. Every time I take him out he flaps and then eventually flops to the bottom of the cage (breeders had his wings clipped :/). He’ll step up after that but only after we’ve done his routine of “freak out, flop down”. I’m also a bit concerned about the rate in which his primary flight feathers are growing back- is there an average amount of time this takes? I hate to see him flop so much. Vet said he looks great but I forgot to ask about his flight feathers. Any suggestions on what I should be doing differently about the step-up process, and encourage him not to flop down like that? Is this typical juvenile behavior?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
More likely typical behavior of a Parrot that has not established a strong trust bond as of yet. It just takes time and your on-going effort to provide comfort that this is a wonderful place and that s/he is loved deeply.

Flight feathers are commonly replaced naturally over a period up-to a couple of years. Depending on your Parrot's natural schedule will determine how long it will be between now and when it can safely glide /flap down to the floor, etc.. With time, they begin to develop some lift and then every more lift and before long flight will be common.

I find that if you have a plan to act as a taxi and quickly teaches your Parrot that if they step-up, you will take them to someplace so they can step-off, works to develop a willingness to step-up.

IMHO, step-up should have more of a reason than step-up, as step-up and traveling someplace has more appeal to a Parrot. With time, step-up to be with you become every more interesting.

Welcome to Parrot Forum!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
More likely typical behavior of a Parrot that has not established a strong trust bond as of yet. It just takes time and your on-going effort to provide comfort that this is a wonderful place and that s/he is loved deeply.

Flight feathers are commonly replaced naturally over a period up-to a couple of years. Depending on your Parrot's natural schedule will determine how long it will be between now and when it can safely glide /flap down to the floor, etc.. With time, they begin to develop some lift and then every more lift and before long flight will be common.

I find that if you have a plan to act as a taxi and quickly teaches your Parrot that if they step-up, you will take them to someplace so they can step-off, works to develop a willingness to step-up.

IMHO, step-up should have more of a reason than step-up, as step-up and traveling someplace has more appeal to a Parrot. With time, step-up to be with you become every more interesting.

Welcome to Parrot Forum!!
Treats are a great way to motivate a less than trusting parrot to come out. Has this problem gotten any better in three weeks?

Most Reactions