Baby Hahns Macaw biting

NikkiandPickles

Sep 8, 2019
Qld Australia
Parrots
One baby green cheeked conure
Hi everyone,
I have recently added a 10 week old Hahns Macaw to my flock. She is currently in quarantine and very keen to get out of her cage whenever I open the door. She clearly wants to be on me, she flies to my shoulder from the cage or the stand. She happily sits on my hand and doesnā€™t appear to be afraid but she will get in my hand and if I donā€™t keep her occupied with food she will reach down and bite HARD. She does this every time she is on me. It doesnā€™t appear to be fear or aggression but Iā€™m getting reluctant to handle her. She was supposedly hand raised but she doesnā€™t like being touched all that much.
Any pointers on how to versions this with the flesh still on my hands?
The long term goal is for her to be a companion to my 11 month old hahns (who is a smooshy little love bug).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Look up Shunning on our search function, best way to curb unprovoked biting. Make sure its not your fault!

OP
N

NikkiandPickles

Sep 8, 2019
Qld Australia
Parrots
One baby green cheeked conure
Look up Shunning on our search function, best way to curb unprovoked biting. Make sure its not your fault!
Iā€™m not sure shunning will work because she is very new to me, itā€™s only day 3 of her living with me. Doesnā€™t she need to be bonded to me first?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™m not sure shunning will work because she is very new to me, itā€™s only day 3 of her living with me. Doesnā€™t she need to be bonded to me first?
It may still work as she is so young and very reliant on you.

Most Reactions