Baby Hahn's not interested/scared of toys.

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
My baby hahns, Cosmo, has way too many toys. :) Not all are in his cage. He seems not interested in them, not sure if he knows what they are. Also foot toys he's wary of as well. I have these lollipop toys which are a small rattan/vine ball at the end of a Popsicle stick. He looked at it, took a bite at it and jumped back. Is this normal? Is it just because he is young? Is there anything I can do to encourage him to play with them? Or will it just happen in time?

Thanks!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm sure he'll be playing/destroying and ripping apart in no time.

Yes, he's still very young, and was possibly not ever exposed to anything 'fun', including any toys.

Perhaps you can show him? Play with them, try some plain sisal rope and play tug-of-war (ever so gently). If you find he's afraid of vibrant colors, start off with something super simple and plain. My Ripley (GW) was afraid of toys at first, and I made him this:
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/27060-natural-toy-macaw-amazon.html

Also, initially, the easier and smaller and less intimidating the toy, the more likely Cosmo will explore it. :)

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
It took 2 and a half months for my parakeet to play with his toys. I added a tiel to my flock who ended up teaching my meet to play. And is in fact still teaching. They both have s toy that has several parts. As my tiel figures it out and plays with it my meet starts doing the same thing a few days later.

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Yeah, I'll try showing him. :) Today I brought him up to his hut and showed him. And before I went to work tonight, I was like ... Where's Cosmo? .... There he is!
:)
IMG_20150416_212917905.jpg

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Well he seems to like to be on top of his hut if he's not in it. I saw him a few times chewing on the plastic beads and pieces that wrap the chains. Also I found a few pieces of of straw from another toy when I cleaned his cage this morning and that toy looks a little readjusted. :) I guess it will just take time, as he's exploring new things. All this stuff in this big cage is probably overwhelming for this little guy. :)

denaz101

Nov 23, 2014
Asheville NC
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
Yep, my hahns took a while to start showing interest in his toys, but it will come soon enough and you will be spending money on toys!!

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Yep, my hahns took a while to start showing interest in his toys, but it will come soon enough and you will be spending money on toys!!

Yeah, I can only imagine. :) I guess it's a good thing I have quite the buffer of toys when he starts destroying them. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sometimes, if they're nervous with toys, it helps to sit down with them on your lap, and "introduce them to things" - play with the toy with them.

It also helps when they are afraid of other objects, to get them used to the idea of you showing it to them, and teaching them there's nothing to be afraid of. It's a good way of getting them over fear of objects...

Unless, of course, they displacement bite. Then it's just a really good way to assure you'll get bitten... :eek:

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Sometimes, if they're nervous with toys, it helps to sit down with them on your lap, and "introduce them to things" - play with the toy with them.

It also helps when they are afraid of other objects, to get them used to the idea of you showing it to them, and teaching them there's nothing to be afraid of. It's a good way of getting them over fear of objects...

Unless, of course, they displacement bite. Then it's just a really good way to assure you'll get bitten... :eek:

Mark,
I take him out and sit with him in my lap and give him a foot toy and play peekaboo with a paper towel. He started to check the toy a little bit, but I have to hold it. He likes to nibble on the paper towel more though. :)
I got him to use the hut by showing him. The day we came back from the vet, I brought him up to the hut and he climbed in. Didn't have to show him that one twice! :) Now he's in there anytime he isn't eating or pooping. He likes to preen in there too I noticed. He also now likes to stand up on top of the hut and mildly chew on the plastic toys and rope that ornate the chains that hang it. He does a little more and more as the days go on.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sounds completely normal to me. He's just getting used to everything. It's all new to him. And introducing him to stuff like that is a good thing, and will do wonders for his confidence...

Which is a key thing for a macaw. Confident birds generally don't over react to things, or lash out in a panic - biting.

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
I tried to beak wrestle with him and he did a little bit. Didn't chomp down at all. Think he seems a little shy when it comes to that. Also tried to get him on his back a few times. He doesn't really like it. So I got him to the point of cuddling into my chest as I scratch him and slowly roll back in the recliner till he's basically on his back. Otherwise he'll freak out and try to get out of it. Makes sense. He needs to build his confidence which will eventually get better once he is more familiar with his surroundings and routines. I've had him a little over a week and actually has come a long way since last Thursday when I took him to the vet. In time I'm sure I'll have a little monster following me all around the apartment. :)

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Well I don't have to worry about this anymore. He's tearing apart toys left and right. Started about a month ago. Now I put one of those Chinese finger trap toys from the mysafebirdstore in Cosmo's cage and he shreds it in hours. At first I was like what happened to it, I think I put one in there. Didn't realize he would destroy it so quickly. :)

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I'm glad to hear of your update on Cosmo. My severe macaw never saw a toy until I took her home. Today she is still scared of certain ones, but she also has her favorites. And I got her in an aviator harness which is a huge step considering she was never touched or let out of her cage( pix are in my profile)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Talking about updates..... :54:

Can we see some new pics of Cosmo, pleeeeaaseee? (Time permitting, of course. :))

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Talking about updates..... :54:

Can we see some new pics of Cosmo, pleeeeaaseee? (Time permitting, of course. :))
I'll see what I can do. :) I'll see if I can get a video of him playing too. He seems to quack like a duck when he gets mad at a toy. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts