Baby Jenday conures

Danny90

Nov 17, 2014
Parrots
Pair of Jenday conures, pair of green cheeked conures and a pet yellow sided GCC
Hi guys, (by the way I'm new to this forum)
I have two jenday conires that I'm handrearing, it my first time hand rearing Jenday conures, I'm just wondering how many feeds a day they should be getting they are 3 weeks old (just developing pin feathers) . I've been told to let there crops empty completey and that takes them about 6 hours to complety empty, is this normal? At the moment I am feeding them 3 times a day 7:30 3:30 11:00They seem to be developing well...
Any help apreciated !!:orange::confused:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the forum. Wow, there's so much to cover that i could write a book. But it's already been written, "parrots, hand feeding and nursery management " by Howard Voren. I see you're feeding every 8 hrs at 3weeks of age. You need to be feeding pretty much on demand and not at all over night to let their crop completely empty. What temp is their formula.

OP
D

Danny90

Nov 17, 2014
Parrots
Pair of Jenday conures, pair of green cheeked conures and a pet yellow sided GCC
I'm feeding no lower then 34 degrees no higher then 40 usually around 36-38. What do you mean feeding on demmand?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
At 3wks formula should be at 105 F. I assume you're feeding at 38C but i haven't converted. On demand means when the babies start to beg. I'd also suggest weighing them every am before you feed.

OP
D

Danny90

Nov 17, 2014
Parrots
Alright I'll try raising the temp of the formula, does this make them digest it quicker ? So is 3 feeds a day good enough? Has anyone else had experience in raising Jenday conures?
Thanks

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Here is the book our Captain (henpecked) is talking about. IMO it's a MUST HAVE for anyone wanting to raise baby parrots. I'm pretty sure you can find a vendor who will ship to Australia :) [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Parrots-Hand-Feeding-Nursery-Management/dp/1895270103/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457132984&sr=8-2&keywords=howard+voren"]Parrots: Hand Feeding and Nursery Management: Howard Voren, Rick Jordan: 9781895270105: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

IMHO 3 feedings are not enough for 3 week old chicks. No, I'm not a breeder. :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
The temperature is extremely important, and both feeding too high and too low could be fatal. Please do get the book, it is well worth it. And yes, weighing before each feed is critical.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Yes feeding too hot can cause crop burns and lead to fatal infections. Feeding to cold is also almost as bad. Too cold causes food to pass very slowly and if it takes longer to digest things like yeast infections are highly probable. The cold food robs the babies of warmth and energy that they need to develop. Most certainly a death sentence. Are you using a broader? IMO you might be in over your head. Get the book and good luck. We'll be happy to help if we can. Problem is not sure you know what questions to ask.

OP
D

Danny90

Nov 17, 2014
Parrots
Yes I'm using a brooder I keep the tempritures around 28.5

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Sounds a bit cool but i haven't converted. 95 to 98 F would be about right at this point in their development.

OP
D

Danny90

Nov 17, 2014
Parrots
My baby Jenday conures oldest one was born on the 10th of feb younger one (on the right) was born on the 9th:orange:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 100

Most Reactions