Help! My 8 weeks eclectus regurgitating

Lexiekkie

Jan 3, 2024
Parrots
Lexi- female eclectus
Hey, so one and a half week ago I bought my first eclectus, Lexi which then was 6.5 weeks old, I built homemade brooder for her with temperature and humidity monitor, now I put her between 31-33c, the first day I bought her I tried feeding her with a formula and she regurgitated, I didnā€™t know if it was fine so I asked the breeder about it and he said that itā€™s ok and they just like to play with the food and itā€™s fine, anyway couple days that I fed her 10% of her bodyweight with formula while monitoring ger weight which goes up everyday normally and now in the age of 8 weeks she is 388 grams, now one day that I fed her she kinda refused to eat the formula so I asked the breeder what to do and he told me to force her because Iā€™m like her mother and I should teach her to eat properly, now everday she regurgitated after feeding and even 2-3 hours after feeding, I feed her 3 times a day btw, any way I tried force feeding her with a syringe and she refused and I force it on her and held her head and she ate but then she snizzed formula out of her nostrils I then freaked out called an avian vet and made an appointment, I told them she regurgitate all the time and she snizzed formula, so the checked her and told me they donā€™t see anything unusual, oh and btw she does a lot of sounds while feeding and all time, so the avian vet gave me batryl 2% and told me itā€™s for her snizzing problem and I should give it to her for a week if she keep snizzing, and gave me nystatin for the regurgitating and told me to give it for a week if it keeps happening, anyway I already finished giving her the batryl and I see improvement in her, I decided to give her the nystatin too some days after starting the batryl, now I check her crop every morning and itā€™s empty which means itā€™s probably not sour crop, but I donā€™t see any improvement with the regurgitation problem, I even bought a couple of days ago a temp monitor for the formula and give it to her with a spoon so she would eat better, and between each feeding of the day I wait 6-7 hours and the crop is still not fully empty, only in the morning 10 hours approximately after it empties completely, now she still regurgitate and I donā€™t know if nystatin even helps with it, so my main problems is with the regurgitating and the crop not fully emptying between each feed, I now give her 38cc of formula on each feed, the breeder also told me that her brother in her age regurgitate too and itā€™s normal, oh and I mostly worry about the regurgitation because before she regurgitate she make sounds like sheā€™s suffering , and she even lost a couple of down feathers in the crop area which the breeder says itā€™s okay because she grow feathers, but other than that she is energetic and looks healthy, please help me.

I attached photos of her and of the crop area too.

Attachments

• IMG_8961.jpeg
    IMG_8961.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8947.jpeg
    IMG_8947.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8974.jpeg
    IMG_8974.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8970.jpeg
    IMG_8970.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8971.jpeg
    IMG_8971.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 14

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hello, sorry to hear your baby is having some struggles. Iā€™m no expert on hand-feeding but here is a thread that might help

OP
L

Lexiekkie

Jan 3, 2024
Parrots
Lexi- female eclectus
Hello, sorry to hear your baby is having some struggles. Iā€™m no expert on hand-feeding but here is a thread that might help

hey, yea Iā€™ve seen that post already couple of times.

Most Reactions

Latest posts