so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This is the second baby raven to end up in my back yard.
The first one several years ago did not do so well and I am hoping a more hands off approach will work out better.
The raven family in the back yard (neighbors back yard but the nest is right near the property line) were having conniptions this morning.
I figured another fledgling fell out of the nest so I went out to see what was going on.

My neighbor was squirting a garden hose at the parents and it turned out he sprayed the baby trying to get him to "fly away"
I explained to him that the bird was a baby and unable to fly. He has a dog and so he gave me the baby to put in my yard.
The poor bird was soaked and in shock.
I held it in the sun and kept him safe till he came around and became more alert and started to try to get away.
I let him go in the back yard and he hoped away to the base of a palm tree.
I hope he will be ok, wish I could feed him. I hope the stray cats won't get him.
Here is a pic of the poor little guy.

baby raven 2.jpg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh what a beautiful face. I love ravens and how they can develop deep friendships with people mich like parrots. Poor little bubba, I can imagine his parents were losing their minds! Hopefully this little one does well, and I know the parents will remember your kindness.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
This is the second baby raven to end up in my back yard.
The first one several years ago did not do so well and I am hoping a more hands off approach will work out better.
The raven family in the back yard (neighbors back yard but the nest is right near the property line) were having conniptions this morning.
I figured another fledgling fell out of the nest so I went out to see what was going on.

My neighbor was squirting a garden hose at the parents and it turned out he sprayed the baby trying to get him to "fly away"
I explained to him that the bird was a baby and unable to fly. He has a dog and so he gave me the baby to put in my yard.
The poor bird was soaked and in shock.
I held it in the sun and kept him safe till he came around and became more alert and started to try to get away.
I let him go in the back yard and he hoped away to the base of a palm tree.
I hope he will be ok, wish I could feed him. I hope the stray cats won't get him.
Here is a pic of the poor little guy.

View attachment 51234
My, what a big beak you have for a baby raven!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Thank you for helping this poor baby. Spraying him with a hose! Ugh. I'm glad you intervened.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We have pigeons who fledge in our yard! To keep them safe from cats I put them in a cardboard box with towels at night and then release them back outside the next day. The parents didn’t mind and he flew away after a couple days!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I went to check on him about 6 hours later (3:00 pm) and he was nowhere to be found.
If feral cats had got him there would have been a pile of black feathers.
Did not find anything.
I think he must have managed to fly away.

I have an old cage in the back yard I could have put him in overnight.
I did that with the first baby Raven a couple years ago.
He didn’t make it but his wing had been injured in the fall.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Oh yay! I agree, if there were no feathers to be found he dried off and got the heck out of there. The parents would also attack any cats who tried for him. A raven can do some serious damage to a cat.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I am so glad you helped the baby out! About 30 years ago I came across a baby crow that had flown into a car or had been hit by a car and had a fractured sternum/breastbone. Tried nursing it to heath for 3 days. Unfortunately it died. I still wish I could have helped it more!

Most Reactions

Latest posts