Baby Yellow Collared Macaw constant HONKING.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Hello. We just acquired our second baby bird. She is an 8 week old Yellow Collared Macaw. We were smitten with her from the start, because of how cuddly she was. We love her so much, but her constant HONKING is troubling all three of us (me, boyfriend and our Lilac Crowned Amazon).

She wants to be held no less than 100% of the time, and honks, most of the time, even when we are holding her. We both work odd schedules, and today when we tried to nap, she honked and threw a fit for 20 minutes. I feel as if I am in a situation which many cockatoo parents have described.

We have had her for a week. We are using positive reinforcement and ignoring the tantrums, but she will honk honk honk through ANY activity. During target training, while cuddling, on a perch, on a shoulder, with food in her mouth.....

Is this normal for a Macaw? Will this stop when she realizes that we are going to be good parents? Any advice or experience will be greatly appreciated.:green1::green2:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Is she weaned???????? Or are you hand feeding her any formula????

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Yes, hand feeding her formula. She's 9 weeks old. We are also introducing solid food slowly. She honks with a full crop.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I never owned a unweaned bird. But we have experienced people on the forum that can give you advice. I can tell you Macaws are know to revert and are also known to be beggers. My Hahns Macaw Captain Jack is a weaned baby but he does baby and begging behaviors. He squawks sometimes. I talk to him and when he is quiet I let him out of the cage.

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
She has gotten SO much better in the past few days. She makes a racket in the morning, and when one of us comes home, but other than that, her noise levels are totally acceptable. She knows that when we blast music, it's time to yell, and she makes noise for a few minutes after we put her in her cage. She's doing great. I'm quite relieved!
:green2::green1:

Most Reactions