Balance issues

kme3388

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 17, 2021
Messages
2,126
Reaction score
5,659
Location
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Sun Conure: Charlie (male)
B&G Macaw: Blue (male)
My macaw was adopted a little over a year ago. He from my understanding was in a very small cage for his size. He was not out of the cage for years on end on top of it. His body shows this. Yes he is vet checked.

When he is on my forearm he’s unsteady, and I can feel him being intense (afraid to fall). He will stumble some. He’s not like other macaws that can hang upside down from a forearm easily. The strength is not there. He gets snippy when he loses his balance too. I’ve thought about getting him a swing, or something to build his strength. He’s so sensitive to new things, and will attack unfamiliar things. Does anyone have any exercise ideas for a gigantic parrot who desperately needs it? Most things on the market are not built for larger parrots. I’m just looking for ideas to help Blue.
 
I've read that just moving around with them perched on you will help. Try making small movements with him on your arm first, and he should get more confident as time goes on.
 
for my macaws I have constructed " swinging steps" - that is taken metal child cribs apart and cut sides/ends down to make steps and I hang them from the ceiling / roof wire. Better yet is to obtain offcuts of concrete steel sheets and cut them to form steps, bending the top over to close attachment to roof, VERY SUCESSFUL, But there again I have 6 macaws and each one is a study in the art of copying!!! Having one only macaw you may have to help it, by continually placing on steps, or watch while (or until) your smaller parret uses it - he will, but time it takes may be a little frustrating!!! Worth the effort, believe me!
 
Addendum - I notice from one of your earlier posts that Blue likes to sit on top of his cage, - if the cage shown is what you have I would SUGGEST a bigger one, or enlargement. I put it to you - if you were confined to a 6' x 6ft room, would you feel like exercising???All macaws strive to sit on the highest point in their cage, if its outside, to get the first sunlight, along with the dominance of being a macaw. you will not be able to stop this - its a ritual!! and if your cage is situated inside with observance to the outside , all the better.
 
Addendum - I notice from one of your earlier posts that Blue likes to sit on top of his cage, - if the cage shown is what you have I would SUGGEST a bigger one, or enlargement. I put it to you - if you were confined to a 6' x 6ft room, would you feel like exercising???All macaws strive to sit on the highest point in their cage, if its outside, to get the first sunlight, along with the dominance of being a macaw. you will not be able to stop this - its a ritual!! and if your cage is situated inside with observance to the outside , all the better.
I know he needs a larger space. He actually ruined his current cage by breaking off paint pieces, and bending the bars. This is his second cage he has destroyed in the basically 2 years I have had him. His current cage is setup by a window he can stare out all day. We also got him a TV so he can watch his cartoons and dance. I have thought about turning one of our spare rooms into a cage for him. However he has one strong beak, and im so scared he will get hurt. His vet was informed and they recommended a stainless steel cage which are smaller than his current one. One of my hard lessons with my macaw, and adopting him was that he is hard to contain. If I secure his cage so he cant open doors, he then goes through the cage with that massive strong beak.

Thank you for the advice. Ive been trying to brain storm solo, and have gotten no where. Macaws are challenging.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: AMD
Speaking of @wrench13 I think you mentioned that you work with cage stuff involving parrots. You tell these manufacturers that these cages stand no chance against a macaw who’s an aggressive chewer. I’m petrified to spend good money on a stainless steel cage to just have my macaw bend the bars.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: AMD
just to let you know where I am coming from, my macaws have large outside aviaries ( at least 8x5 metres). They are outside all day but roost everynight inside my house. I have built roosts for them in my rumpus room/kitchen; under which I place rubber BBQ mats to collect droppings/mess/etc- floor is basically slate to start with - macaws are destructive by nature, so expect holes in plaster walls, mouldings remoulded, and curtains fair game. Once a year I replace, fill holes and put patches where necessary. It does mean cleaning the mats daily after they go outside. Once or Twice a year I have a bit of pandemonium when one of them is losing a long tail feather, which means calming them down. pieces of wood of any sort should be on hand at all times.
perhaps it is a good thought to consider the room in question, as an alternative cage, with the present cage left inside to see what transpires - he may decide to roost in it, or use it as a lookout for activity. But I must stress it will mean more time for Blue, and you will notice the difference in birds attitude. However there are a lot of factors involved in making any changes.
 
just to let you know where I am coming from, my macaws have large outside aviaries ( at least 8x5 metres). They are outside all day but roost everynight inside my house. I have built roosts for them in my rumpus room/kitchen; under which I place rubber BBQ mats to collect droppings/mess/etc- floor is basically slate to start with - macaws are destructive by nature, so expect holes in plaster walls, mouldings remoulded, and curtains fair game. Once a year I replace, fill holes and put patches where necessary. It does mean cleaning the mats daily after they go outside. Once or Twice a year I have a bit of pandemonium when one of them is losing a long tail feather, which means calming them down. pieces of wood of any sort should be on hand at all times.
perhaps it is a good thought to consider the room in question, as an alternative cage, with the present cage left inside to see what transpires - he may decide to roost in it, or use it as a lookout for activity. But I must stress it will mean more time for Blue, and you will notice the difference in birds attitude. However there are a lot of factors involved in making any changes.
May i ask a personal question. How on earth do you deal with 6 macaws? Most people do not understand me when i say my macaw was food aggressive when I first adopted him. He is extremely territorial in comparison to my other parrots. Hes a boss, and doesn’t mess around. If he gives someone big wings and they proceed they are getting bit. It’s not optional. He did bond with me but I got to learn everything the hard way. He’s a little easier on me now but the beginning was a bit much sometimes.
 
not easy at the start, and as time passes becomes easier..
Unfortunately you have taken in a bird without knowing its previous history. Now you have to work harder to "catch up".
I think "food aggressive" is the bird trying to tell you your cuisine is not up to the standard he previously had. Start at the basics and try, as you go, to have your changes implemented- Blue is the driver! Extremely territorial is a macaw trait - thats why he is always eying the outside world.
Whatever bond you and he has now; be rewarded and look forward to the next stage.
Personal situation, family and finances, dictate what compromises you may need to consider.
The greatest percentage of macaw owners are breeders - either for the love of the species or the profit imagined. They do not handle the birds (look and don't touch)!
those that handle their birds I would call Companion Bird Owners, , , and there lies the difference!
From the essence of your questions it is obvious you want your macaw to be a companion. Its not easy when you don't acquire them after weaning. BUT don't let that deter your determination in finding solutions to present problems.
I commend you and beg you stay the course . . . don't give up!!!
I have presently 2 macaws trying to be Alpha, a female that only wants hugs and kisses, and is pedantic in eating habit, yet can unlock my locked front door - talk about come in when you please!!. I have a male B&G that was previously owned by someone who only handled him by him climbing onto a stick!!. coming onto after 3 years he is lifting his leg so I can put my arm up ready for him. . . thats 100% improvement, another B&G female that likes to go on our daily walk using a harness. The harlequin cock is full of Behavioural problems, and only now after 6years he has learnt to give me a mouthful spray when he isn't happy. thats after serious bites!!!
What I am trying to impart to you is nothing is easy, and nothing is free. What you give in patience and care for your bird will be rewarded. No macaw is stupid, but there is a lot of macaw owners lacking the Homework. Do the Homwork -get the results, and if the results aren't enough do more homework.
There is much info, based on experience, in this Forum, to satisfy most of your concerns
 
not easy at the start, and as time passes becomes easier..
Unfortunately you have taken in a bird without knowing its previous history. Now you have to work harder to "catch up".
I think "food aggressive" is the bird trying to tell you your cuisine is not up to the standard he previously had. Start at the basics and try, as you go, to have your changes implemented- Blue is the driver! Extremely territorial is a macaw trait - thats why he is always eying the outside world.
Whatever bond you and he has now; be rewarded and look forward to the next stage.
Personal situation, family and finances, dictate what compromises you may need to consider.
The greatest percentage of macaw owners are breeders - either for the love of the species or the profit imagined. They do not handle the birds (look and don't touch)!
those that handle their birds I would call Companion Bird Owners, , , and there lies the difference!
From the essence of your questions it is obvious you want your macaw to be a companion. Its not easy when you don't acquire them after weaning. BUT don't let that deter your determination in finding solutions to present problems.
I commend you and beg you stay the course . . . don't give up!!!
I have presently 2 macaws trying to be Alpha, a female that only wants hugs and kisses, and is pedantic in eating habit, yet can unlock my locked front door - talk about come in when you please!!. I have a male B&G that was previously owned by someone who only handled him by him climbing onto a stick!!. coming onto after 3 years he is lifting his leg so I can put my arm up ready for him. . . thats 100% improvement, another B&G female that likes to go on our daily walk using a harness. The harlequin cock is full of Behavioural problems, and only now after 6years he has learnt to give me a mouthful spray when he isn't happy. thats after serious bites!!!
What I am trying to impart to you is nothing is easy, and nothing is free. What you give in patience and care for your bird will be rewarded. No macaw is stupid, but there is a lot of macaw owners lacking the Homework. Do the Homwork -get the results, and if the results aren't enough do more homework.
There is much info, based on experience, in this Forum, to satisfy most of your concerns
 
Everything here applies to any parrot but without the exceptional intimidating beak. But any beak is terrifying coming at you in anger and can do damage.
I do adore all parrots, or birds in general I should say. They are fascinating creatures. They are mini dinosaurs. I’ve said it before and will continue to say it. My sun conure would scare the living sh*t out of me if he had some size. He is by far more unpredictable than my macaw. He’s much more vocal. There’s nothing easy going about him. He’s a thug on steroids!!!! I do like his little snuggles but he’s lost shoulder privileges more than any other parrot I have had.

I will say all parrot species, subspecies, and such are very different. Then they have their own personalities on top of it. All parrots species have their own dietary & health needs. Other than having claws, and a hook bill I’ve always found all parrots very different.
 
I apologise for putting you on a back foot.!!
If you share the benefits of this Forum, let no one say you don't love the species.
Now move on- learn to master the Beak and Claws. a little blood is worth it. Styptic is available from your local chemist.
 
The way parrots interact with humans depends 5% on personality and 95% on upbringing and history. I had my baby since she was just over 3 months. I wanted and worked for a tolerant well adjusted parrot. My CAG is a manipulating, sweet talking, feathered beauty until she isn't. She's touchy about being touchie feely. It's strictly on her terms. Acting 'cute' to tempt extra treats is her primary favorite. Blowing kisses and giving me audible signs of affection is her second preference. When she puffs up becoming a grey dinosaur. She reminds me so much like those mechs you see in video games. I don't know her. Her cage doesn't exist until that grey terror disappears. Then I talk softly to determine where her mind is at. Those episodes rarely last long and not without a reason. Sadly I often don't know what the reason is in some instances. She accepted the roofers, pounding, hammering and drilling away a few weeks ago. She just looked at the ceiling and nibbled at her food. Then she wanted to rip my eyes out. I switched to burgundy plastic frames for my glasses. This after 10 years of the same olds. I accept her on her terms. I pay attention to her tells.
 
reminds me of an event a few years ago, Sitting reading for pleasure when my false teeth flew past me!! Talk about beaks!
 
reminds me of an event a few years ago, Sitting reading for pleasure when my false teeth flew past me!! Talk about beaks!
May I also ask what spring (hormonal season) looks like for your 6 macaws? Mines lost 10g in 2 days and is chewing up everything in site. He’s cage aggressive, and will even challenge me at times and he’s bonded to me. I’m just trying to gather more information on how macaws are in captivity. Most information online relates to how they are in the wild. I assume there’s some changes.
 
of the 3 males only 1 problem (at the moment!!!) my Harlequin has taken to scalping one of the B&Gs. I think it is an extension of pin feather picking that all macaws practise after first meal and just before settling down. The avian of repute said this was solely sexual frustration and whereby some show more tendencies. I have noticed that the other 2 B&G's have bonded. The female comes with me every day on a walkabout using a leash.
Frm the area of about 200meters from the house both will scretch to each other, and when she goes back into the cage he's there like a traffic cop!!! I think she isn't ready to mate, as on occasion, if he crowds her she gives him the heave ho! But this could change whenever!
In captivity the birds are assembled and DO EVERYTHING as a FLOCK. the young ones as they grow quickly learn from the Alpha - good traits and BAD ones.
My 6 macaws are treated as a flock - its hard on me, at times - particularly when they have toast with me first thing in the morning or when up to 3 birds decide to roost on my shoulders - talk about squabling and carry-on.
I do notice this at hormonal season, the pairs that are bonded find places here there and everywhere to be alone.
I would suggest when the next time comes with the beginning signs make yourself scarce. You will soon know when something has happened. in my case an egg or a fight when she won't cooperate!! in your case at first signs go silent and scarse - its like having a tot doing a trauma. leave them alone, when they have exhausted themselves, they seem to go back to being the old self.
you have a good habit of weighing frequently - I don't. I have learnt when something is not right they soon let me know, or sort me out!!
 
Its now September, and I would appreciate feedback from participants to this balance issue! please inform us of the improvement, if any, and how that was achieved - we owe the knowledge to all bird lovers who share our concepts
 
  • Agree
Reactions: AMD
Blues balance issues have not improved. They’re not worse. They’re just not improving. He was in a very, very small cage for many years. He was also not a participant in coming out of his cage. He was also locked in a dark basement due to his loud calls. Everything I’m doing is essentially from the beginning for an example when I put him on grass, you would’ve thought someone was trying to murder him. Everything is new to him. I just take it one day at a time.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom