BB escaped!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
:eek:....but I got him back! He's going to be the death of me yet!!

After his last escapade I made an appointment with his CAV for a wellness/grooming. He goes tomorrow afternoon.

A few days ago we were in the computer room,Amy on his X perch eating a nutraberry and BB on a shelf destroying a box and David and I at our computers. I got up to go to the kitchen to make the fid's a snack of Bird Street Bistro. Anytime I'm out of Beeb's sight he screams/contact calls for me.
I told him i'll be right back and prepared the snacks,then went to the back door to throw out trash. Now he is down the hall in the OTHER room! I'm 3/4 way out the door and hear tweettweettweetflapflapflap and he lands on my shoulder as the screen door closes.
This freaks him out and off he goes flying circles in the backyard screaming his head off. BB!!!! NOOOOoooooo!!!!! come here!!!!!
He lands in a tree at the property's edge about 40 feet up. I jump off the deck in shock and in panic yelling to him c'mon..c'mon..come here,as I tap my fingers on my forearm.
This is when his little game begins. As I say "c'mon" he says c'mon c'mon and beak beats whatever he's perched on.
I'm freaking out and crying and he's just tweeting away having the time of his life.
I get back to the deck to go inside to get his favorite treat birdie crack a.k.a. millet. As I open the screen door I hear tweet tweet tweet flap flap flap as he lands on my SHOULDER :34: We go inside and I grab him and smother his little yellow face with kisses as I sob.

BB is so bonded to me he cant bare not to have me in his sight. Sometimes I get aggro'd at him for being so clingy,but that day made all the other days fine by me.

I have stated before that he is a superb flyer. He knows all the rooms. He flys full throttle down the halls and makes laps in the kitchen/living room flying thru the partition to land on the fridge or Amy's playpen only to taunt me and do it again. Like I said it's his little game he plays with me.

So now do I keep him clipped?? For his safty and my wellbeing? Its his exercise. It's his fun time and he is good at it. I'd hate to deprive him of what he was born to do. :(

Jim

Last edited:

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thank goodness he’s back!!! I can’t answer you fully on to clip or not. My birds have been rescues and thus most of them unable to fly. Kevv has a gimpy wing and can only flutter to the ground safely.

Double doors at entry points?

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Oh wow when I read the title I got sooo worried!! But I’m very happy to see BB came back to you!!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Thank goodness he’s back!!! I can’t answer you fully on to clip or not. My birds have been rescues and thus most of them unable to fly. Kevv has a gimpy wing and can only flutter to the ground safely.

Double doors at entry points?

Hi Lea...so great to see you post again! :D

Yes there are two doors..the "inside" and outside..since weather has been nice the inside door was open. He has done this three times in the last few months. Once David was right there to shoo him away..the other times I wasn't quite half-way out. Those times I was closing the inside door as I opened the outside one. It would have been devastating because those times it was dark outside.

Jim

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Im glad he did not go far and came back.

Tiels are extremely fast flyers.
I read somewhere that they are the fastest birds in Australia.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Jeez Jim! I KNOW that was terrifying! So glad lil BB is safe and sound!

As for clipping or not, that’s up to you, you know best. There are things that can be done, rules that can be put into place that would prevent this, rules like BB should always be secured in a cage when the front door is going to be used, just put him up for a minute or two until EVERYONE is settled back in. Living with rover boarders (dog sitting) for as long as we did, sometimes up to 5 at a time, strict rules akin to above kept Parker alive and safe.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The Fear of the Great Escape!

So Very Happy that He is so attached to you and came down as you started back in the house!!

Time to invoke the Julio half-spin at the doorway prior to exiting. Julio has a like want to be with his Human and exterior doors are such a challenge that we have come-up with the Julio half-spin Opening the door starts face the door before it is but a bit open, one spins and exits butt first! Thus assuring that Julio is not headed your way at flight speed!

I'm so very happy that this had a happy ending!
Re-set heart! Breath-deep-slowly!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Jeezzzz Jim, I read the header, and my stomach dropped. Having lost a loved parrot never to be seen again I was all too afraid that was what the \thread was about. THank the bird gods he flew back to you!

Beebee, like Salty sez "Don't Do that!".

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Jim, the title gave me a heart attack! I'm so glad he came right back, but geeeeeez! That's scary!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Sheesh Jim you sure know how to grab a girl's attention!! I'm so glad you said you got him back first up, phew!! The "God Of Small Things With Wings" is definitely looking out for the Beebster!!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Dang - I think my heart stopped for a second there. Glad Beebs is indoors now. Mine are all flighted but it’s definitely always a concern and we’re pretty darn careful about the doors.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I live alone 99% of the time! But! My rules, JoJo must be behind a locked door if I have to open an outside door! If he’s out and about, all outside doors must be locked!
Right now the slider is open to the back yard, a nice 64deg out! JoJo and I are in my locked bedroom!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Jim, I'm so happy you got The Beebs back! My heart sank when I saw your thread, and I am so thrilled that this had a happy ending.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Whoa Jim, you can update cardiologist, your heart is stronger than y'all might believe! So glad this had a happy ending even as it presents you with choices.

Aside from truly strict protocol out of the cage, perhaps a very light clip might be compromise? Just enough to allow moderate flight and maneuvering, insufficient to gain much altitude. Would be difficult to accomplish and require frequent adjustments. IDK, as you know clipping is one of the most controversial subjects!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The subject is clearly a hot-button, BUT!
How much with a Mac or Tiel is a very thin line! They have such large flight (lift surfaces) that one can move-up to that line and go from a guilder to a stone. Amazons tend to have much smaller flight surfaces that it does not take much to make a difference.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

So The Beebs saw Doc Kristin yesterday. It kind of sucked coz they are still doing "lock down" ( remodeling inside :eek:) and I couldn't be with my fluff boy.
He was in and out within fifteen minutes and Doc Kristin gave me a call.

She said he was in great shape but on the "heavy" side??:confused: He weighed in at 92g's,the same weight he was at last year. She said a good weight is calculated by body mass,if the birdie is a Pee Wee Herman or Arnie Sharwzenagger. Tiels can range from 86g's to 100. She asked about diet and exercise sleep time/play time etc etc..all the proper questions. He didn't get bloodwork this time,be he will sometime this year.
She said he was all sorts of chatty and tweety,even wolf whistled to her...until the towel came out lol.
She is very pleased with his condition :D

Steven my good friend, Dr Kristin is excellent on judging how many sleeves to shorten. He got five sleeves shorten on both arms. If he tries to fly now he goes up and lightly touches down..like Mr Bogangles :rolleyes:

It's really weird..he KNOWS now he can't go anywhere lol. His demeanor has changed completely. He goes to Uncle David now when he would visit for about 5 seconds and take off. He always liked head skritches now wants more ( still growls at David if he tries to skritch)
He is now walking (BB...not David) to find me.."feets don't fail me now" as David puts it.

On a kind of sad note the poor guy is clumsy. With his nails done he can't hold on to me as well and if he tries to wave his arms to steady himself it doesn't do him much good.
I've found some new molted short sleeves a few days ago,so how long will this clip keep him down is just a guess,but I am less stressed,he is more lovey and seems to be handling everything fine.

Jim

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh geez I’m glad this had a happy ending. The thought of you losing our beloved Beebs is horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
OOF my biggest sympathies!!!

With my bird I do a light clip during the summer months when we have a lot of open/closed doors. A light clip means they're still able to fly, but it should slow them down at least. Which is helpful for really quick open and closed door scenerios. For conures I know that's the first five flight-feathers. Not sure what it'd be for tiels.

Just some food-for-thought if you want to straddle the middle-ground.

Most Reactions

Latest posts