Beat The Heat Treats !

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
It's June and we all have out tounges lolling out and and fans on full , but who thought about the poor fids , with layers of feathers ? I discoverd this recipie online for parakeets , but it works for any species , Keets to Toos . It's healthy too . First , make a purée of 2-4 of your fids favorite fruits with a little bit of water . I also like to add small chunks of the fruit in after its been puréed . You get a ice cube tray and pour it in and freeze . I gave it to Pepsi and Sprite , they LOVED it . I never saw their tounges move so fast :D . It's also biteable and chewable after a few minutes . I never tryed veggies but if anyone does let me know how it turned out !

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I saw this too (a friend had posted it to my facebook I believe) and I haven't tried it. Interesting that your birds really liked it!!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Here's an idea to add :)

I'm slicing fruit and putting them on my stainless steal skewer then sticking the whole thing in the freezer. so kenji and Rosie can have frozen fruit tomorrow.

OP
Birdlover11

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
That's a good idea too ! I'll try it with mango and a little bit of apple

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
Never thought of making a fruit one. I've always just given a small piece of my freezepop.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
My Beaks love to munch on bits of frozen veg. They discovered this by helping me cook dinner one night and now I always share with them.

When I kept mice, I would fill an empty plastic container 2/3 full of water and freeze it. Then, I'd put it in the mouse cage on a hot day and the mice got a *lot* of relief from the heat by cuddling up next to it. The other thing that worked best of all was placing a damp towel over the cage and directing a fan onto it. You would absolutely need to supervise this with birds, as a truly cold draught could be deadly. Always make sure the birds can escape from the draught if they don't like it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts