Best African Grey Toys

Lady523

Apr 29, 2021
I was looking for some good African grey toys that I can hang up in her cage and that would hopefully last her for more than a day. I have been going to the local bird shop and anything I get her she normally destroys it in a week if it makes it that long 😂 :32:. I then looked through Amazon to see if I could find something and I found these really big toys with ropes and pieces of woods and with nylon wires at the end. I wasn't sure if these were completely safe especially since they come from China. Then thought that maybe this community could give some insight into this matter. What type of toys do you get your grey and do they last? are they safe? Where do you get them? Have you had good experiences with toys bought from Amazon? Thanks for any insight and thoughts into the matter, hope you all have a good day/night!!:grey:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
that's the point lol! It's good she is chewing like that and staying busy (when they don't use them, that's a bigger concern). A week is actually a long time and pretty good compared to some. Longer than that and they aren't really using them like yours wants to. Their beaks are designed to destroy wood, so this really is a good thing, even though it's expensive/annoying ha!

You can try looking up toys made of harder wood (bird safe) but if they are too hard, it may take the fun out of it.

My cockatoo won't touch some toys of the texture is too tough lol.

You are right to be cautious about sourcing and that is trickier. I will say, I get mine toys off of Amazon, but I have returned a few due to odd smells etc...

Last edited:
OP
L

Lady523

Apr 29, 2021
that's the point lol! It's good she is chewing like that and staying busy (when they don't use them, that's a bigger concern). A week is actually a long time and pretty good compared to some. Longer than that and they aren't really using them like yours wants to. Their beaks are designed to destroy wood, so this really is a good thing, even though it's expensive/annoying ha!

You can try looking up toys made of harder wood (bird safe) but if they are too hard, it may take the fun out of it.

You are right to be cautious about sourcing and that is trickier. I will say, I get mine toys off of Amazon, but I have returned a few due to odd smells etc...

Yessss that has happened with Amazon and the odd smells, its why I am so careful to get toys from there and I normally just go to the petsupermarket near my house. Jaja yes they can be quite expensive to keep happy with many toys, but anything for the baby. I will look into some harder wood as the toys I normally get have soft wood as I thought that was nicer for her. We shall see what happens with better wood. I might even resort to making my own toys at this point :18: Thanks for the advice, I greatly appreciate it :D

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Yessss that has happened with Amazon and the odd smells, its why I am so careful to get toys from there and I normally just go to the petsupermarket near my house. Jaja yes they can be quite expensive to keep happy with many toys, but anything for the baby. I will look into some harder wood as the toys I normally get have soft wood as I thought that was nicer for her. We shall see what happens with better wood. I might even resort to making my own toys at this point :18: Thanks for the advice, I greatly appreciate it :D

If you make your own, make sure the wood itself is not power blasted or treated lumber. They are such a pain- lol! Thank God we love them so much...or...lol!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
SO FAR my cockatoo has been fine, but not sure where it is made..(she does like it a lot)....It does have a cedar smell (not sure though..makes me a bit nervous at times that it could be something else)-- and I remove the bell and leaf + air it out for a day or so before giving it to my parrot.. If they chomp at the right point, the whole thing falls apart, but you can put those parts back together if they don't fall in poop. My cockatoo likes a softer wood, so your grey may destroy this in a day-- not sure..https://www.amazon.com/KINTOR-Chewi...0f96c&pd_rd_wg=fQabL&pd_rd_i=B072Q382S3&psc=1

Last edited:

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I've had mixed results in Amazon, and have since stopped ordering from them.

Bonka Bird Toys has a pretty good selection, I've been ordering most of Willow's toys from them lately.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts