Best species for me?

glutes

Feb 11, 2016
Hi, I know I have a less recent post that is somewhat similar to this one, but this one is a bit different so I wanted to start a new thread.

I want to adopt a parrot in the next 6-12 months. I am a 16 year old female. I have many reptiles so I have some experience with exotic animals, but no experience with birds. I do go to petstores frequently and visit with the birds there though. I have been researching a lot on parrot behavior, and he care requirements for each species. Right now I am still in high school, so I will have 2-5 hours of interaction time daily depending on the day. This amount of time does not include caring for and cleaning up after the bird. While I have a decent amount of time to give to a bird right now, in the future I will have to get a full time job(8 hours) which means I would likely be limited to 1-3 hours of interaction time with more time on the weekends. I am looking for a bird that can play independently for somewhat long periods of time as well as an affectionate bird. I know that being young and having limited time can make bird ownership difficult, but I'm determined to make it work. I don't plan on going to colleges or giving any of my pets up. Pets are family and I will adjust my life to include them just as they do for me.

That being said, what are some species that would suit me? I am looking into Pionus parrots because from what I've read they actually need independent play in their life. I also like the personality of a Pionus. Gentle, quiet(as a parrot can be, anyways) and affectionate. I've looked at budgies as well but from the research I've done on them they don't like much if any touching. Another species I've looked at is the green cheeked conure. The one thing that turns me away about conures is their desire to be around the activity of a home. My house doesn't have much activity right now and certainly won't when I move out and live on my own. I'd love to hear your input!

Wow this is crazy... Sound so much like me :)
I got a parent raise alexandrine three months ago which sounds similar in personality to a Pionus. If you are looking for an independent bird I would consider a parent raised, yes they take a little bit more time and encouragement to train but they have less behavioural problems... I recon anyway.
From your two birds I would go a pionus for your first bird, something a little calmer and sensible... What's not to say you will add a conue to the mix in 10+ years time.
I've done it with no regrets so far... I'm sure you'll be fine :)
Hope this helps

Remember whatever you read about any species in terms of personality, number of hours, etc is only a generalization.

My Pionus Raven, as well as another one I've had before, were/are very independent. I know what internet articles about Pionus say about them, but remember, they aren't always gentle once puberty or maturity is reached. Especially the males can become hormonal and aggressive during certain times, and you have to learn how to handle that. They do give pretty clear body language warning though. They are close relatives of Amazons, and display in a similar way. Pionus are also just about as likely as an Amazon to enjoy being touched or cuddled. In other words, the majority aren't real crazy about it. What if you get one that doesn't want to be touched? Will you be disappointed enough to be unhappy with the bird?

With the 2 I've had, I can agree they're quiet. Of course this will vary between individuals too. Raven never screams, but talks and mimicks. You are aware of their size, right? They are 2-300 grams, definitely into the medium category, not small. This will mean room for bigger cage, toys, etc. Much different than the budgie you were originally looking at lol. They bite much harder too ;).

I guess before I can suggest any species at all, I have to ask, what do your parents think about you getting a bird? Are they willing to be on board 100%? Do they realize even a quiet bird will make noise, and can make a lot of mess? Will they not only tolerate it, but welcome this into their home? Are they willing to put out expense toward vet care which can be costly? Just some things people here might want to know in order to help you.

Hi, I know I have a less recent post that is somewhat similar to this one, but this one is a bit different so I wanted to start a new thread.

I want to adopt a parrot in the next 6-12 months. I am a 16 year old female. I have many reptiles so I have some experience with exotic animals, but no experience with birds. I do go to petstores frequently and visit with the birds there though. I have been researching a lot on parrot behavior, and he care requirements for each species. Right now I am still in high school, so I will have 2-5 hours of interaction time daily depending on the day. This amount of time does not include caring for and cleaning up after the bird. While I have a decent amount of time to give to a bird right now, in the future I will have to get a full time job(8 hours) which means I would likely be limited to 1-3 hours of interaction time with more time on the weekends. I am looking for a bird that can play independently for somewhat long periods of time as well as an affectionate bird. I know that being young and having limited time can make bird ownership difficult, but I'm determined to make it work. I don't plan on going to colleges or giving any of my pets up. Pets are family and I will adjust my life to include them just as they do for me.

That being said, what are some species that would suit me? I am looking into Pionus parrots because from what I've read they actually need independent play in their life. I also like the personality of a Pionus. Gentle, quiet(as a parrot can be, anyways) and affectionate. I've looked at budgies as well but from the research I've done on them they don't like much if any touching. Another species I've looked at is the green cheeked conure. The one thing that turns me away about conures is their desire to be around the activity of a home. My house doesn't have much activity right now and certainly won't when I move out and live on my own. I'd love to hear your input!

Hello and sorry i cannot agree with this statement. I have had budgies, my favourite baby lived 'til 14 years of age and was the sweetest most affectionate little bird you could wish. He would snuggle with me each evening and gently kiss my face. You get back what you put in!

Seriously as RavensGryf has said vets bills are major and you need to know that you can cover them if required. Not being able to take an ill bird to the vet cos you are strapped would be plain cruel. I have a RB2 and just for some simple blood tests it can easily be £100+ (GBP) and rarely is it one solitary test either (in my case). If you want to be a parront - please be the best by being responsible.

I wish you luck in your search. :)

Last edited:
Budgies really can differ from their generalisation. They can be very sweet so a hand raised budgie would be more hands on most likely. They have the potential to be noisy but have you considered a cockatiel? I've heard great things about them, more affectionate, hand raised ones are more hands on, potential for cuddles whilst still being more independent than a conure.

I should have mentioned above, but as the others have said, from time to time you do see and hear of a tame cuddly budgie. Even easier if you start with a hand fed. I'm not sure where you are, but an English Budgie from a reputable breeder would be a good one. They're almost twice the size of a regular budgie, so more to cuddle :). If you put the work in, and consistently work with a hand fed from a young age and get it accustomed to being handled, chances are it will bond closely to you and you will be able to snuggle it.

Another note about the most 'reputable' breeders, many will even select individual birds to breed for temperament. The breeder should then know which bird(s) might be more inclined to have the type of personality you're looking for.

I do vote for budgie. If the main factor that is shying you away from budgies is that it might not be cuddly, then consider this fact... the majority of parrot species I can think of are NOT naturally inclined to be cuddly, and the majority of the ones that are, have a tendency to become more needy and demanding as well.

Budgies are one of my very favorite parrot species. I've had parrots for many years before ever having budgie, so I definitely don't consider them as only starter or beginner birds. I feel I will always have budgies.

Take a look at these cute videos. There are lots more out there like this too. :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0u1CPkKpWs"]Our Budgie loves to be stroked - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7LXTz7Goq8"]Cuddly budgie - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGqtH5YWBMM"]Norman Barrett MBE and his amazing budgies: Zippos Circus - YouTube[/ame]

Birds can live a very long time as I am sure you know. At 16 it is impossible to know what your future holds. My life has changed SO MUCH between 16 and 26. In that time I dropped out of high school have moved 4 times, I have a fiance and am getting married, and I am in college to become a nurse(which I NEVER thought I would go to college). So a lot can change unexpectedly!

I would suggest a budgie for you. They are small, relatively quiet, relatively inexpensive and cheap to care for (thinking of the space, noise and financial burden on your parents). It would be easier to find an appartment that will allow small bird for when you move out of your parents house. Plus they live for about 10 years, so when your life is more stable and you have a better plan for your future it would be very easy to add a second bird if all you currently had is a budgie. If you find out that birds are not for you, you will not have committed the next 30+ years of your life to a larger bird that you may no longer want.

Also budgies come in the most stunning colors! And like a lot of small birds, they do not know how small they are and in fact have very large personalities. I love watching my moms budgies because they have just as much attitude as my green cheek. They are smart too! Seriously, go to youtube and watch budgies doing tricks. Its impressive!

But that is just my opinion. :)

Last edited:
Birds can live a very long time as I am sure you know. At 16 it is impossible to know what your future holds. My life has changed SO MUCH between 16 and 26. In that time I dropped out of high school have moved 4 times, I have a fiance and am getting married, and I am in college to become a nurse(which I NEVER thought I would go to college). So a lot can change unexpectedly!

I would suggest a budgie for you. They are small, relatively quiet, relatively inexpensive and cheap to care for (thinking of the space, noise and financial burden on your parents). It would be easier to find an appartment that will allow small bird for when you move out of your parents house. Plus they live for about 10 years, so when your life is more stable and you have a better plan for your future it would be very easy to add a second bird if all you currently had is a budgie. If you find out that birds are not for you, you will not have committed the next 30+ years of your life to a larger bird that you may no longer want.

But that is just my opinion. :)

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!:bigkiss: This is the best advise you could have gotten right now, and echo's my exact experience. You're about to enter one of the biggest transition periods of your life that will last the better part of a decade. To completely misquote an american president: keep it simple, stupid.

This means keep your options open. Larger birds are not simple, and WILL limit you at this point in your life. A little budgie, parrotlet, or a green cheek conure are relatively unobtrusive and fuss free, which is what you REALLY need if you are going to get any bird at this point in your life. I got a larger conure when I was your age, and I loved her dearly but she created angst with family and what to do with her while I was away at school.

Thanks so much for all the thoughtful replies, it's extremely helpful.

I definitely realize that all parrots, wether small or big, come with attitude, hormones, and undesirable behavior. A cuddly bird is very important to me, however, if my bird isn't into cuddling then I accept and respect that. My mom is quite fascinated with birds, so she is on board but wants me to know what kind of commitment a bird is. My dad actually had an aviary when he was younger with his family. They didn't deal with many parrots, mostly song birds. However, they did have cockatiels and budgies. My dad doesn't want me to get a bird because they are a huge amount of work, however as with anything if I work towards it and can provide the proper care for a bird, he is on board as well. My family is really involved with animals, so I imagine a bird would be welcomed by the family. I am responsible for all costs regarding my future bird, but if for any reason I cannot afford vet bills my parents are more than willing to help me out. An English budgie does sound like a very good fit, thanks everyone for giving me such detailed information on these cute little birds. On a budgie-specific forum I didn't get many replies, and the forum seemed unfriendly. I think my favorite parrot species is the green cheek conure, but budgies are awfully wonderful little birds too. Do you think a Green cheek conure could do well in my situation?

Yes, a green cheek or a crimson bellied conure would work well for you as well. Many of the pyrrhura conures (Google this, lots of pretty birds) would be appropriate for you at this stage. Small is the key.

Now I have a problem. I can't decide between a green cheek conure or an English budgie...

Go play with some! Both are very common, you should be able to find some in a big box pet store. Or look for local breeders. I've had both budgies and a conure. My personal preference is a conure. But that's me.

Now I have a problem. I can't decide between a green cheek conure or an English budgie...

I think an English budgie will be able to be bonded to you, while not having a tendency to develop the clinginess that many conures have more of a natural inclination to develop. Even though a Green Cheek conure is small, they will be more of a challenge and show their behavioral complexity especially upon maturity. This might present in ways that can be annoying, or give you unexpected additional time consuming challenges to deal with (on top of school and a busy life) such as behaviors that require training to overcome. They're a 'real' parrot just like the bigger guys.

Budgies are just as smart, if you've viewed the budgie circus thread you can see that, BUT I don't believe the behaviors upon maturity will be quite as steep of a challenge as a parrot will present. With consistency, they are fairly easy to train and they really do make the cutest pets. I absolutely love mine.

One thing to think about is to get a bird from a reputable breeder. These common species you mentioned (from big pet stores) are bred at bird mills, and many times have compromised health and shorter life spans because of their genetics. Actually, the big-box pet stores don't carry the English budgies. You'll have to find a breeder (which I can help you with if you choose to go that route).

Last edited:
The reason I suggested a budgie is because I think they are a bit more flexible than a green cheek conure. I have a green cheek and my mom has Budgies. My green cheek conure is a Velcro bird. I can't do anything without constantly having to put him back on his gym because he has flown to me for the 100th time. This sounds adorable but when you're life is changing as much as yours will be, you will not want a bird who is this attached to you. He will be sad if you have to leave him with your parents while you go to college, he will be sad if you end up with a new boyfriend who takes up all of your time. And let me tell you when the green cheek is not happy, no one is happy. If you leave him in the cage and ignore him when he's upset, you (and your neighbors) will hear about it! If you let him out when he's upset you are almost guaranteed to get a nip or two. When i have been gone to college all day and I come home, my green cheek is usually upset that he's been left alone all day. I have to sit outside his cage and talk to him and give him treats to calm him down before I can get him out So I don't get nipped. Even then he walks around with his head feathers all puffy for about 30 minutes after he comes out. We call this "block head birdie" which means he is grumpy about something - leave him alone for a while. Green cheeks have expectations. And if you don't live up to their expectations they will be very grumpy. They don't care if you had midterms or had an illness in the family or got a flat tire on your way home and that is why you are a few hours late letting them out of the cage. They don't care, they just missed you and you were not there. So they are now grumpy and mad at you.

A budgie on the other hand is a great option because they accept new Budgies very well and if your life becomes too busy they will do fine if you get them a budgie friend to keep them busy. It is a bit less of a commitment to get a second budgie than to get a second green cheek. Buddies are not Velcro birds the same way green cheeks are.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the help. I think I'm going to have to go with an English budgie. I've been reading and watching videos of them and they are just such intelligent little lovelies without being as demanding as a conure.

I think you will be very happy with your decision. Have fun finding a breeder and choosing the right baby. We look forward to pictures!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with your decision! :) I will forever have budgies as one of my parrot species. I love them.

I'm now in my 30's but I got my first parrot when I was about 12. I researched for six months and finally decided I wanted an African Grey. Boomer and I were very close. I was homeschooled and he and I were thick as theives.

I'll tell you what happened and give you my advice. I moved away to college at 16. My parents unexpectedly separated after 26 years together and they gave my Boomie away to a family friend. Boomer then escaped out an open window and we will never know what happened to my baby.

My advice is not to get a large bird. You'll be going through a lot of changes in the next few years and this could mean your bird is in limbo. Only get something your family is willing to care for. There are many VERY rewarding and intelligent smaller species and my suggestion would be to choose a species which is not known for being a one-person bird. Every bird is different but some species are much more prone to becoming one person birds.

There's a good chance you and your bird will become separated, such as if you move into dorms or other housing where a loud bird can't go. That's why I suggest something smaller you could easily take with you and also afford to care for if you're financially independent. Larger species are exponentially more expensive and demanding, but not necessarily more fulfilling. Budgies and cockatiels are underestimated often and it's a shame because they make exceptional companions.

Cockatiels make awesome family members. Our family bird, Pearl, was amazing with everyone. I was 6 when my parents got her and she lived to around 12-13. She didn't bite and was an all-around GREAT bird. I'd even love to get another cockatiel even though I prefer large species.

Budget-wise, it's much easier to find a companion if they aren't $1200. Cockatiels and Budgies are both affordable birds but they have many big bird traits. Playful, can be quite talkative, aren't as loud as something like a sun conure, etc. Noise should be a consideration for you as well.

I would not discourage you from getting a bird if that's what you want to do, but based on my personal experience, I suggest taking your upcoming chapters of life into consideration. So much change happens in the next 7-10 years of your life and it's important to choose a species who can go with the flow.

Last edited:
So I know I said I was going to get a budgie, but I've been reading books, reading online, visiting birds at petstores, and watching videos about birds and I've decided that I want to rescue. These animals did not ask to be caged pets, so I don't want to add to the problem but instead help a bird that would truly benefit. I want to stay with the smaller species, but as I've come to realize no bird, despite"species traits" is the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what species are you leaning toward? I know you said small species, do you have an idea what you'd like?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back