Am I able to get a (mini) macaw (Iโ€™m a minor)

MacawAndPaws

Nov 19, 2023
I have done more than 3 years of research, I am financially stable, with my school ending earlier than most schools I have atlease 6 hours Iโ€™m able to spend time not including morning, im not in any sports or day activityโ€™s, my family is ok with it. Also donโ€™t ask me about collage cause I have about 5 backup plans if plan A doesnโ€™t work cause of course the collage I want to go to is pet friendly and I have good grades so collage wonโ€™t be a problem for me. Sound is not an issue cause I donโ€™t mind endless screaming either anyone else in my home. I can take a bite Iโ€™m not gonna die they might be painful though + it would be my fault anyway if I get bitten cause I clearly am ignoring any signs of warnings. I have a bit of experience with birds cause I use to go to this bird shelter all the time and spend time there until closing. I have about 5 notebooks full of studies of parrot behavior body language and care. my Room is clean and before I turn it into a bird room I just want some verification on my plans

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I have done more than 3 years of research, I am financially stable, with my school ending earlier than most schools I have atlease 6 hours Iโ€™m able to spend time not including morning, im not in any sports or day activityโ€™s, my family is ok with it. Also donโ€™t ask me about collage cause I have about 5 backup plans if plan A doesnโ€™t work cause of course the collage I want to go to is pet friendly and I have good grades so collage wonโ€™t be a problem for me. Sound is not an issue cause I donโ€™t mind endless screaming either anyone else in my home. I can take a bite Iโ€™m not gonna die they might be painful though + it would be my fault anyway if I get bitten cause I clearly am ignoring any signs of warnings. I have a bit of experience with birds cause I use to go to this bird shelter all the time and spend time there until closing. I have about 5 notebooks full of studies of parrot behavior body language and care. my Room is clean and before I turn it into a bird room I just want some verification on my plans
I'm glad you're here and asking these important questions and I applaud all the research you've done, @MacawAndPaws! Because far too many of ANY age take the plunge with parrots without really having much understanding of what they're really letting themselves in for! It's wonderful that you are volunteering at the shelter and getting experience too, that will give you very valuable insight into how complex these miraculous creatures are, and how demanding their physical, emotional and medical needs can be. Do consider however that you are able to walk away from the birds at the shelter at any time, whether they're cute and snuggly or rather more difficult to manage, whereas once one is at home with you it's there 24/7. And that bites can indeed be very painful, but some can land you in hospital having an eyelid, a lip, a nostril or even a whole nose reattached. Consider also that the most successful relationships with parrots are often the ones where the parrot chooses you, and that may be one of a species that is not on your current radar. Perhaps one at the shelter might have already done so? I think one of our most esteemed members, @Anansi, has summed things up very well in the following post which I recommend to you ...

Having a parrot in your life is completely different to owing a dog or cat, it's a lot more like being the parent of an ENORMOUSLY demanding human toddler with hyperactivity who never grows up. And who has wings and a can-opener on their face. And who will change your life in every way that you can imagine and can prepare for, but also in many others that you can't. They are difficult, they are wonderful, they can be supremely frustrating but be full of unconditional love and be your very best friend, but they can also be the source of your greatest heartbreak. And i speak as someone who has had parrots for nearly fifty years who has experienced the full gamut of emotions that come along with them. But personally, I wouldn't ever have been without any of them, and I have valued and adored every one of them and everything they have given me and taught me. And I wouldn't change a thing. ๐Ÿ’

I wish you all the very best with your decision.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Honestly, i would give you a 1 in 5 or 600 chance of everything going as you think it will, if you adopt a macaw at your age, so thats not sounding real good for you, and even worse for the parrot. Parrots and macaws in particular, are a full time responsibility, with lots of personal sacrifices to be made on your part in order to keep the parrot healthy, well adjusted and happy.

PLease reconsider until you have finished schooling, have a steady career and income, and know basically what your life arc is going to be like (of course there are always curves thrown in there).

I hope that you take this advice and not be like a lot of folks, who only come on here to get validation of their thoughts and not getting a real, experienced opinion that might not coincide with your plans.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The numbers are sadly against this working as the demands of college are greatly underestimated as time and care for the Parrot begins to dwindle! Commonly by the end of first year, the parrot is home with your family!

Once you have graduated and have a permanent job. Okay, then it is time to consider a 'pet.'

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Honestly, i would give you a 1 in 5 or 600 chance of everything going as you think it will, if you adopt a macaw at your age, so thats not sounding real good for you, and even worse for the parrot. Parrots and macaws in particular, are a full time responsibility, with lots of personal sacrifices to be made on your part in order to keep the parrot healthy, well adjusted and happy.

PLease reconsider until you have finished schooling, have a steady career and income, and know basically what your life arc is going to be like (of course there are always curves thrown in there).

I hope that you take this advice and not be like a lot of folks, who only come on here to get validation of their thoughts and not getting a real, experienced opinion that might not coincide with your plans.
And also look at yourself now at whatever teenage age you are and think about what you were like only three or four years ago. Are you still passionate about the same things you loved back then? How have your interests changed? Have you ever lost interest in a hobby or a friend for no good reason- just you changed? Do you really believe you will feel the same way in five years? How do you know? For example, when I was 25 and looked back at all my teenage boyfriends I couldn't imagine marrying any of those guys I was crazy about them.
Even your career plans will change. I don't think teens should be expected to definitively chose a career. Too many things change.
Young adulthood is all about growth and change. Someday you will laugh when you think about what was so important to you as a 16 year old. That's growth and it happens to ALL of us.

You will probably always love birds and you will have birds. But you need to allow for change in other aspects of your life that may make having a large parrot that lives 50+ years impossible.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You say you are a "minor", but how "minor" are you? I ask because I would give different advice depending on your age. There's a huge difference between a 10-12 year old, a 13-15 year old and a 16-18 year old. It's not one size fits all. Even with mature adults wanting to adopt a parrot, the person's age and health status does matter because some birds live so long they will be almost be guaranteed to eventually need rehoming. I consider myself too old to adopt a baby parrot that can potentially live more than 25 years because I probably won't live much longer than that and at that point I may not even be able to take proper care of a parrot.

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
The fact that you are here asking questions shows a good level of responsibility. Look im just going to say that only you can know your circumstances. Ask yourself lots and lots of questions and answer then truthfully. If you are living with your parents, what do they think of it? If they need convincing then maybe start with a smaller bird? Or foster a rescue bird to get a feel of what it's like living with a bird.
I had budgies when i was a kid at my dad's house and he wasn't too happy to have them so i can tell you this: It is NOT fun having a pet that no one else enjoys. If however your parents are happy with the idea and you are sure that twenty-forty-fifty years down the road you will still be able to commit to him/her then you seem like a good candidate.

I am also a minor, and spent my entire childhood researching birds and dreaming that one day my parents would let me get one. They didn't but fate gave me one anyways and about two weeks abo we found a baby lorikeet that fell out of the nest. He is super tame and i already love him more than anything but no matter how many years you spend researching them, nothing can prepare you for the real deal. Imagine you get a bird who bites, what do you do. Imagine you get a bird that screams all day and you cant figure out what to do? Anyways, i'm sure you've thought of all this.

I have one last piece of advise. if you decide to go ahead and buy yourself a mini macaw then i strongly advise you to adopt a rescue. They are just as amazing and willing to bond, maybe even more than baby birds. And you would be saving a life. Please consider adoption if possible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts