Best toys for Amazon?

Mikxx

Jul 7, 2021
I recently stood Infront of the parrot toy isle in a pet store and tried to find something that lasts longer than two days.

Out of all the toys I can discard 90% right away: Everything that is connected with small plastic cables as they will bite through it first day and second everything that is bound together by a knot. These toys our parrots just open the knot and drop the rest to the floor.

So, what toys do you buy for your Amazons? Pictures appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211-195854_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230211-195854_Gallery.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 45

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I can tell you what I avoid.
Anything with cotton rope.
there is a type of rope that is safe I think it“s called sisal.

mine like this colored rubber/silicon ball with a bell in the middle.. It’s dark right now and can’t take pictures now.
Beware of the dog/cat toy that looks similar but larger, it has a smell that I would not trust around my birds.

Sometimes the chew up wooden blocks but sometimes they ignore them.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Here is two pictures of my Amazon cages with toys.
First is Bingo’s cage.
center toy is from Chewy. He hasn’t really played with it but he’s been sick and not in the mood for playing. You can see the rubber/silicone balls on both sides of the big toy. He use to hang from them and get into big fights with them.

Second pic is the Twins cage.
A0C0B3D7-4986-440B-95B1-598069F69AC5.jpeg

554F1A87-8CE7-4D1C-8649-29054AFFE260.jpeg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
NOTE: If Amazons do not make toys into tiny bits, they will likely reduce your favorite stuff to tiny bits!

We buy two types of toys for our Julio: Toys like above and mid to soft wood blocks that I cut from scrap wood I get at the Big Box Store. They commonly have a scrap or short sections bin of wood from door and window trim or molding that work well. Stay away from treated or pre-painted wood.

That all said, the wood blocks are for the all important making big stuff in to little bits!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty is not a big amazon, about 1/2 the size of a big BFA, so the heavy duty wood ones he doesn't touch. He likes ones with the basket weavy type stuff, with smaller wood blocks. Luckily these come with a chain instead of rope or twine going thru the middle. The chains I find can be reused on parts he doesn't destroy the first go round. If he is in a mood though, he can reduce these toys to garbage in a few hours. I usually buy 2-3 of his favorites when I go toy shopping. Weather permitting, I take him with me and let him pick out the toys (in harness of course). That way I buy fewer duds.

OP
Mikxx

Mikxx

Jul 7, 2021
Thanks guys. The more mine like the toy, the shorter it lasts 😜
Have some new ideas what I will try nowm. Thanks all

Most Reactions