TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
So, between the boys cages we have tried many different things to act as a "bridge" so that they can go back and forth between cages easily (well, it's getting easier now that Hamlet is flying) ... we put a slinky between the two cages and Mac just has a blast with it ...

displayimage.php

showimage.php

showimage.php

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Wow, thats great, the little guys would love that. :D

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Oh, excellent idea! Linds, dontcha think Timothy needs a slinky now?? :D

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Hi!

Hate to be a 'downer' but I'd remove the slinky. The slinky has a tendency to become 'kinked' and also suddenly flip around in a way that can break a foot or a neck.

A couple of years ago in NJ a woman lost a parrot suddenly when the slinky twisted and the fid's head was caught.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Hi!

Hate to be a 'downer' but I'd remove the slinky. The slinky has a tendency to become 'kinked' and also suddenly flip around in a way that can break a foot or a neck.

A couple of years ago in NJ a woman lost a parrot suddenly when the slinky twisted and the fid's head was caught.

I'm thinking the same.

You could use a ladder or a boing, or rope perch instead(any kind of perch actually).

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
It's really not though ... trust me, if I had any bad feelings about toys that my fids were playing with, those toys would be no where near the cage ...

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
It's really not though ... trust me, if I had any bad feelings about toys that my fids were playing with, those toys would be no where near the cage ...

It really is though, trust me. It's a cute picture but a dangerous toy.

I'm sorry Tex, but it's a cute picture yet a dangerous toy. A Slinky is not a toy that was designed for fids to climb on. It was designed for kids to play with. The mechanics of a slinky has already cost one fid that I know of, it's life. It can twist unexpectedly (via the mechanics and gravity). And you don't have the time to get there to unwind. It's not designed for fid-play.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
If you lot had your way, every bird on earth would die of old age.
We all gotta die from something.
Tex,
Tell the birds to be careful and use their best judgement.

I bet if I invented the "safety Slinky" for birds, I would become a millionaire over night. (I just paid money for a "kong" for birds).
How are our birds going to feel outdoors-ee If we don't let them do fun stuff?

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
Um, I guess I'm with Red on this one.
Tex and Christy adore their birds, it does seem like they are their kids some days. I am sure they keep a close eye on their birds, the cages, and the toys.
Freak accidents happen, and it sucks. I, however, still have a rope perch and happy hut for the budgie, and just check them regularly.
I mean, you hear about car accidents but still ride in one yeah?

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Tex and Christy adore their birds, it does seem like they are their kids some days. I am sure they keep a close eye on their birds, the cages, and the toys.
Freak accidents happen, and it sucks. I, however, still have a rope perch and happy hut for the budgie, and just check them regularly.

I'm not. I'm with all and Tex and Christy regarding their love but a slinky is not a fid toy.

It's also not relative to car accidents.

Mechanics wise, this is a gravitational toy. It's designed to go to the lowest center/point of gravity. The plastic 'sprongs' are not 'perch' nor are spaced in a manner for climbing about it. It's a cute picture but not a fid toy.

It's not like a rope perch or a happy hut. Nor should it be compared to as such. It's a slinky.

I don't think Tex and Christy would ever knowingly expose their fids to a dangerous toy. It doesn't change the fact that it is a dangerous toy.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
I'm not. I'm with all and Tex and Christy regarding their love but a slinky is not a fid toy.

It's also not relative to car accidents.

Mechanics wise, this is a gravitational toy. It's designed to go to the lowest center/point of gravity. The plastic 'sprongs' are not 'perch' nor are spaced in a manner for climbing about it. It's a cute picture but not a fid toy.

It's not like a rope perch or a happy hut. Nor should it be compared to as such. It's a slinky.

I don't think Tex and Christy would ever knowingly expose their fids to a dangerous toy. It doesn't change the fact that it is a dangerous toy.

I agree.

Yes, accidents happen, though don't you want to try and prevent them so nothing happens to your dear fids.

I mean the bird could get tangled in the slinky, or the slinky could fire back at hit them in in the eye(that hurts might i add, it's happened to me before).

Why don't you put a boing instead. They're kind of like a slinky. They're twirly and twisty like a slinky, except more stable and don't fire back. And also less likely for your fid to get tangled. You can hang it at an angle or side ways to connect the two cages.

Slinkies are not meant for birds, they are meant for children. They are meant to go down stairs and hall ways, not as connector between two cages.

If you choose to keep it in, then thats fine, we obviously cant make you. Just don't say we didn't warn you if something happens to Mac or Hamlet.

Last edited:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots

Also rope perches are fine unless it becomes old and frays or has loose strands.

And we, or i have told you that happy huts are not needed for budgies. They are dangerous for budgies actually. They promote egg laying. And if you do have a female budgie like you said then don't be surprised if she lays an eggs or becomes egg bound.

It amazes me how people claim to love their fids would go to the end of the world to save them etc. and yet they won't listen to a simple warning that could kill them.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
You cant bird proof the world.
I defer to the common sense of the parent as to what is safe for his babies.

But Tex, please wrap the slinky in bubble wrap before the children use it again. Have the sharp edges coated in non toxic rubber to avoid a choking hazard, and in future, please also photograph the on site emergency vet team you have standing by in your hallway when the birds use the slinky, to avoid our members having kittens when they see them play,...and if you have to get fire department in to cut your birds out of a "slinky disaster" with the jaws of life,...Don't say we didn't tell you this could happen.

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
It amazes me how people claim to love their fids would go to the end of the world to save them etc. and yet they won't listen to a simple warning that could kill them.

I'm sure that all things written here ARE taken into account, but at the end of the day how can you say they are not listening to you. Has anyone asked how the slinky is hung between the two cages??

And we, or i have told you that happy huts are not needed for budgies. They are dangerous for budgies actually. They promote egg laying. And if you do have a female budgie like you said then don't be surprised if she lays an eggs or becomes egg bound.
Happy Huts are not dangerous for budgies any more than anyother fid, As long as you keep an eye on them, If a bird is gonna lay an egg it will lay one, whether they have a happy hut in there or not, and any bird can become egg bound.

Any toy has the ability to be dangerous for our fids, we just have to use our judgement and keep an eye on them.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media

That is so true!

I'm sure that all things written here ARE taken into account, but at the end of the day how can you say they are not listening to you. Has anyone asked how the slinky is hung between the two cages??

I agree with you Peta!I think that each parront knows and has the judgement of right and wrong for the safety of his/her fids.There are always proper conditions that you can use toys/things claimed as not safe in a way that a bird/pet can enjoy playing with them...

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I defer to the common sense of the parent as to what is safe for his babies.

Can I get an "AMEN BROTHER?"

But Tex, please wrap the slinky in bubble wrap before the children use it again. Have the sharp edges coated in non toxic rubber to avoid a choking hazard, and in future, please also photograph the on site emergency vet team you have standing by in your hallway when the birds use the slinky, to avoid our members having kittens when they see them play,...and if you have to get fire department in to cut your birds out of a "slinky disaster" with the jaws of life,...Don't say we didn't tell you this could happen.

Ok, Red, you really have me laughing with this!

If you lot had your way, every bird on earth would die of old age. We all gotta die from something.

I agree with this - no one wants anything bad to happen to their fids. I also want to add that one of the downfalls of being a "carbon-based" organism is that, at some point, existence stops!

Actually, HAPPY HUTS DON'T GIVE Conures the protection that they would look for in a nest box ... it's open on both ends, Conures nest in hollowed out trees and only look for place with ONE opening to nest in, it's a comfort/security issue ... A general 'blanket statement' about what is good for "ALL PARROTS" is just that, a GENERAL STATEMENT, there are breeds/species that these general statements will not work for and it is up to the individual owners to figure out what is good for their specific birds ...

And quite honestly, who are you to have TOLD us something? Are you an Avian Vet? Are you a Certified Avian Behaviorist? No, you are a bird owner who loves her birds and has read 17 different things about Happy Huts and has to differentiate between 'Good' information and 'Bad' information and come to an informed decision just like the rest of us!

This statement really angers me! I know that you are frustrated at 'stupid owners', as are we all, but is there one person on this forum that you would qualify as a 'stupid owner'? I would also argue that if we deemed a member of this forum as a 'stupid pet owner' then WE AS A GROUP HAVE FAILED! If someone came on here, looking for help because they didn't know what they were doing with their fids, and we couldn't (or worse didn't) help them ... shame on us!

Meghan, I would really like to ask you to tone down on the amount of "venom" in your posts ... these last two posts that I just quoted are very angry posts. There are better ways of showing anger, and I know you are a great person, don't let everyone here (members, and lurkers alike) form an opinion of you because of harsh words that you have typed.

I read this thread this morning, and I felt personally attacked ... I feel like you guys think that I have put Mac and Hamlet in mortal danger, seriously - c'mon now. I could have reacted right away, I could have come in here and posted angry words, but I thought about it for a few minutes, I walked away from my computer ... I didn't post on "gut reaction" and took a few minutes to think about what I wanted to say ... no angry words ...

I agree with you Peta!I think that each parront knows and has the judgement of right and wrong for the safety of his/her fids.There are always proper conditions that you can use toys/things claimed as not safe in a way that a bird/pet can enjoy playing with them...

It's called "thinking outside the box"

Wow, I never expected to start this fire storm with this picture ... or even with any ideas. I respect all of your inputs, you are all a great bunch, but please be assured that if I thought, even for a second, that something was going to happen to Hamlet or Mac I wouldn't hesitate to act instantly (aside from me being heartbroken, I would also have to tell Christy that I caused something that hurt one of them ... :eek: there's an even more horrible thought).

Does it help if I told you guys that the slinky is PLASTIC and NOT METAL and is affixed to the cages in such a way that it can't come off ... AND theres enough slack in it that it won't bounce it just kind of sags when Mac gets on it ... I assure all of you, this is safe!

~ :50:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Originally Posted by Redballoon

After you have followed everyone of Red guides here of course. :D :18:

I think the slinky is great, and Mac seems to be having a lot of fun on it. What does Hamlet think of it by the way?

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Really wants nothing to do with it ... :18::18::18:

But then again, that's not surprising ... Ham is the cautious one ... Mac, on the other hand, discovered the curtains yesterday and proceeded to climb up them and perch on the rod and start talking, "Gimme a kiss .... *smack* .... Step-UP .... Gimme a Kiss ... *smack* ... HA-HA-HA-HA-HA"

Ham was looking at me the whole time, "umm, dad, is he supposed to do that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions