Bet you guys never thought of THIS toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Ok Tex, please calm down...

It's obvious you were annoyed by those posts, fairly enough I can add but lets not pull this far...What I believe is that Meghan didn't have as goal to insult you of putting your birds in danger!We all know what great parronts and good people you and Christy are...She was probably drifted away by what she has read or heard...

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
[If you choose to keep it in, then thats fine, we obviously cant make you. Just don't say we didn't warn you if something happens to Mac or Hamlet.

It amazes me how people claim to love their fids would go to the end of the world to save them etc. and yet they won't listen to a simple warning that could kill them.

Seriously, Meghan? I have read this forum a couple times this morning and have to think about what to write here because I am so mad at these two statements. We constantly worry about things that will harm Ham and Mac and if we see any danger, we remove it. In these two statements you are implying that we are horrible parrot owners and I take offense to that.

As for the slinky issue, Jason and I have thought a lot about the SUGGESTIONS that everyone has brought to the table. Mac is the only one who plays with the slinky, although it is hung between the two cages. Our bigger conure, Ham does not go near it. It is only played with when they are out and about and WE ARE CLOSELY MONITORING. When he does play with it, mac bounces up and down on it and climbs through it, but really he is too little to get stuck. When we are not around, the slinky goes away. As a parrot owner I am constantly worried about everything that goes near them. I never thought that on this forum I would have to defend my love for my birds.

Last edited:
OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Ok Tex, please calm down...

Tex is calm ... Christy on the other hand ... Pheobus, I don't get upset too easily, and when I do, well, you will know it, I promise!

By the way can you explain ''thinking outside the box''?:D

This is "Corporate American" jargon for thinking differently than others ever would. Come up with ideas that others wouldn't think of ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I never thought that on this forum I would have to defend my love for my birds.

And nor should you. Christy the main thing is WE KNOW the love you both have for your fids,

When I read this first thing this morning I took a real look into my fids cages and you know we could say that EVERTHING they have in there COULD be a danger to them. And yep even the cage could be seen as a danger. We all do what we can to protect our fids and no one can ask for more.

I'm sure that I have toys here that people would deem unfit, just as we all have. As a parront I do what I can to keep them safe and thats all any of us can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
As a parrot I do what I can to keep them safe and thats all any of us can do.

Peta seriously....are you a PARROT? :18:

(((BUCC))) ! (((KITO)))! iS IT ANY OF YOU GUYS SITTING ON THAT KEYBOARD? WHERE'S YOUR MUM?

p.s. Peta yesterday you said you should lock that notebook....:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:eek: :35: That was Bucc, the little devil. Glad your keeping your eye on him Pheob.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Happy huts:

.Happy Huts and other furry items can be hazardous if your bird starts to eat them. If you notice the fluff disappearing, your bird could be ingesting it, and some birds have died due to obstructions caused by these materials. During one autopsy, the vet found large amounts of Happy Hut material had clogged up the bird's digestive system. Remember, some hens will become territorial and aggressive when they reach sexual maturity if you give them something that resembles a "nesting" space. This is particularly true of lovebird hens so this kind of "house" is not recommended for them. Also, recent incidents with birds getting caught in the strings of these items makes me feel that they are not particularly safe for birds. While you can maintain them by trimming the loose bits, birds can pull more loose while you are at work and create a hazard before you even realize it exists. Use these items with extreme caution, particularly with destructive birds or clumsy birds that tend to get toes stuck in anything and everything.

New Happy Hut incident: A woman reported that her bird had chewed through the inside of the hut without her realizing it. The bird's head got stuck in the shredded material and he strangled to death. This incident reminds us that strings and anything that can get wrapped around a bird's neck can be a hazard. Trim strings on all toys and rope items and always use cage covers that do not shred. back to top

New Happy Hut incident (July 2000): "My 1-1/2 year old Timneh grey has always slept on top of a happy hut; it gave him better balance. Yesterday morning, I found him hanging upside down with his foot twisted in threads from this item, an item so new it hadn't even been washed yet. In attempting to free himself before I found him at 7AM, he had chewed off a large portion of his foot and two toes. He spent 2 hours in surgery and required 50 stitches to have his foot repaired as well as possible. We won't know for some time if the remaining toe and the remnants of one other toe will survive. Needless to say, I will never use this product again."

Ya i know nestboxes are preferred over happyhuts, but people still use them ^^

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()

*Slinky-type kids’ toys – very un-safe! Birds can get their entire bodies trapped inside these metal or plastic toys. Imagine the disaster if your bird encountered problems if unsupervised! Please note: these are NOT the thicker, rubbery tubes that some bird toy companies sell.

http://www.feathersbc.com/articles.html

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Slinky-Toy.html

http://www.teachingtools.com/Slinky/activ1.html

http://slinky.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slinky

I don't say anything mentioned in those articles about bird articles about made for birds.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I dunno about about Christy, but I rang the RSPCA on Tex and they said they already had a file open on him after the "Slinky" incident.

Maybe we could all cool down 3 degrees each and remember that most people who post up here do so with good intent. People don't like being told they are bad parents. Even evil monsters like Tex need understanding sometimes. We sometimes post up in "absolutes" and maybe add an exclamation mark when we don't need to.
We have to try new things. A plastic slinky is not the new bird suicide machine its being portrayed as. Tex does not lie awake at night thinking up new ways to torture his birds,(anymore). I am pretty certain Meghan doesn't think Tex and Christy are poor bird owners.

I am fairly certain there were some anxious moments when I was posting up pix of Skippah about to eat Gilligans head off, but I didnt cop any abusive posts about it. If we dont try new things, life will get stale. We post up here to share our experiences and save others from making the same mistakes.

So what have we learned from all this? Slinkies are spawn of the devil and Tex is the new puppet master of evil.
Lets all avoid making Sweeping statements that may put peoples noses out of joint.

(all Americans are evil, all Americans are evil,....Did I type that or just think it)?

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
OK, let me put this all into perspective for everyone ...

REDBALLOON IS ACTING AS THE VOICE OF REASON!

Does this scare the crap outta any one else, or is it just me? :18::18::18::18::18:

~ :50:

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
OK, let me put this all into perspective for everyone ...

REDBALLOON IS ACTING AS THE VOICE OF REASON!

Does this scare the crap outta any one else, or is it just me? :18::18::18::18::18:

~ :50:

Oh Lord have mercy on me! I do declare that I agree with you Tex! *Boggles one's mind!!!!!*

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Let's take a vote. Who votes to lock the thread?

Me.

Okay, it's unanimous.

:D

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Ok, this isn't a "win/lose" argument it's a DEBATE, there is no RIGHT or WRONG to this thread ... no one "wins" - no one "loses" ...

I am going to lock this thread, and we will never EVER mention this thread again! Everyone understand!

GOOD!

BlackNova

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 16, 2005
Media
Albums
Forums Rules:
1. Flames or Derogatory Insults:
Flames or derogatory insults are strictly against the rules. If you disagree with another member's point of view, do so in a mature and civil manner. If someone posts to discuss their personal problems or seek help from other forum members, please do not respond unless you have something positive or helpful to add. If you find yourself being flamed or insulted by another member, please do not dignify that person with a response. Notify a moderator and let us handle it. If you feel you must respond to a flame or insult directly, please do NOT do so on the board. Use private messages or e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts