Big Bird Update

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Just thought I would make a thread so most of you that have helped me with advice and opinion will not it has not gone to waste.

He is out of the cage when ever I am home. I installed a few perches on the outside and one on the inside of the door. He will go to that door perch when I come home just so excited to see me knowing he is getting out LOL Its really cute watching him sit on that perch while I open the door. Macaw door ride.
That is also his go to place for head scratches and there are a LOT of those now along with tummy and beak

He is not keen on step up . He would back down every time but yesterday he lifted his foot and stretched it toward me and I held my hand out. He put one foot on it and just stood there. One on the perch and one on me. BF said we looked silly standing there like that for about 20 min while I scratched his head beak and rubbed his foot. If I moved my hand he was on at all he would back up so I was not pushing it .

I am still amazed ever day how much they understand. There is a wind chime hanging close to him. He tried to play with it a time or two. I told him no and he would move back. Now if you are not paying attention ( or he thinks you are not ) He will run up to it swing his tail around give the chimes a good smack and then run to the center of the cage again and use that evil macaw laugh.

He still hates water. Not sure what I am going to do about that. He does get misted and I think I posted before when I turned on the vac he would fluff up and he would BUT get the spray bottle and forget about it LOL

I plan on working and pushing the step up more this week. My mindset was this poor guys has had a hard time and I am not about to make it worse because I am ignorant on parrots

Someone said he was territorial over his cage but that's not the case. I can go inside of it and do anything ( its huge). Move perches or wipe things down or even hang new toys.

Anyway we may not move as fast as most but we are moving forward . Thanks to all those that have answered my questions. I would have been lost with out you

Christine

Tgsplano

Dec 23, 2014
I have had a macaw going on week 4 I think. I think you are doing as well as I am. Chloe is 9 and I was told she LOVES showers. However she has not liked being sprayed overhead with sprayer at all. She goes to the other side of the cage. I think it may be a trust thing right now rather than not liking water. I think it'll be a different experience at a faucet or shower head. I don't know if season matters or not. I'm still looking for something big enough to hang in the bars that will work as a tub. I like the idea of a perch on outside of cage. I don't think Chloe will come down from the top but I'm going to try it. Best of luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts