Big problems with my 9 year old TAG

ChrisWink

Sep 7, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo ~ TAG DNA male

Jasper ~ U2 DNA male
My Echo is 9 and have had problems with him for the past few years. I hand fed him and he was a wonderful companion but a few years ago something flipped a switch on his behavior.

The timing of two events in his life changed everything. My oldest golden retriever had passed away and a few days later I had gotten the flu and spent about 10 days sick and in bed. From that point on he has been very difficult. I have worked with him for countless hours.

He will come to me and take treats and I got him to step up once but he only stayed on my hand for a few seconds.

He will let me scratch his beak at times but at times he will longe at me in an attempt to bite. When he does make contact he doesn't break the skin so I take it as a warning to back off. In fact he has never broke the skin with a bite so I feel he doesn't want to hurt me just to back off

Any help I can get would be great I would love to have my Echo back!

Louise2015

Sep 13, 2015
Parrots
Congo African Gray April 2015
Poor Echo. I hope someone here can be helpful. I am a new owner so I have nothing valid to offer but my hopes for you to get your happy bird back.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I'm sorry to hear that your relationship with Echo is on the rocks right now. It's so hard when our birds go through their phases for no apparent rhyme or reason to us. From what I understand, they are rather sensitive to change and Echo may just be acting on his displeasure with the changes he has experienced so far. Hopefully someone more experienced in behaviour and training with TAGs will pop in and give you some advice.

OP
ChrisWink

ChrisWink

Sep 7, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo ~ TAG DNA male

Jasper ~ U2 DNA male
Really surprised no one can give me some advise to get my Echo back to being an easy to handle bird!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Chris I don't know how much help I can give you and Echo,but I'll try.

Was Echo and your GR friends? Echo could be grieving over the loss of a buddy.
When my TAG passed away in April,after 27 years with me and Amy,Amy did a quick change from being very vocal and active,to not saying a word and just sitting on a perch in her house,when she would normally come out to play,and this went on for WEEKS :eek:

Smokey had her moments too. She was a wild caught and was about 6 months old when I got her from a pet store. She was the "first" parrot and when Amy came along,after about a year of Smokey owning me,and Smokey seeing by how Amy and I interacted,she started to open up.
Amy taught Smokey that eating these different colored and shaped things in her nummy bowl were good..i.e. FRUITS AND VEGGIES lol. And after seeing Amy step up onto my hand and having her head scratched, I wasen't an evil monster!
Smokes would NEVER allow me to pet or scratch her noggin,ran in the opposite directin when I tried to get her to step up.

But her 'tude towards me changed a great deal. She stopped growling at me every time I came close. She started to throw kisses at me,would yoink on my hair when I bent over if she was on her roof top,and be came SWEET.

Also hormones have a big play in there dispositions..Echo being 9 years old is around the age <I think> when a "boy" starts turning into a "man" or vise versa with a girl. There were many times that Smokey would BITE me,AND draw blood and it hurt like hell :eek:

Don't change your normal routine. Give Echo a little time. I believe he will become his sweet lovable self soon.

Jim

Give him some time

Louise2015

Sep 13, 2015
Parrots
Congo African Gray April 2015
...you may need to try a different board for support. I read quite a bit before signing up for this board and there seems there were a ton of helpful, knowledgeable folks. I hope you get the info you need to get your bird back!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I don't have enough experience with Greys to assess and give advice. My TAG was born and hand-raised in my home but never warmed to people. ET can only be handled when being rescued from the floor! I just accept and love him the way he is. Can think of lots of advice if it were a Too, but they are quite different.

Perhaps you might repost in the Behavioral sub-Forum and get more responses?

John3L

Dec 10, 2015
Columbia, Md
Parrots
TAG
CAG
I am no authority on any of this however my wife and I rescued Mo who is 25 years old and is quite the talker. Mo was never handled by a male at any time and disliked my presents any time I got close to his cage. Mo came from a home where a older women who just couldn't care for him anymore. I quickly learned how bad these bite can be as he was so stressed out that my wife was the only one who could handle him. What I needed was a crash course in African Grey behaivoir. Through many hours of reading and finally talking to a breeder I learned that this process would not be overnight. I can't tell you how bad I just wanted to hold him and interact with him only to be the cage cleaner and food service guy lol. I love Mo and so I made sure his diet was right and and each day I gained a little ground with his food and soon enough he took that first treat from me. This is all I can do at this point. Mo loves our Doberman puppy as he gives her kisses and throws food out to her. Mo will even call her name to come play. Three months ago we welcomed Gracie into our home as a new baby Congo. Gracie doesn't say much but she sure dose give me what Mo dosent. I would suggest looking into Echos diet and stimulating his mind with new activities. It's no fun getting a bite however Mo understands that biting dosent change anything and now he he just turns his back to me when he has no interest. When I walk away he says " Thank You". I have so much to learn but my love for these birds will never let me give up trying to make their life better. I hope Echo and yourself find the right combination . God Bless...

Last edited:
OP
ChrisWink

ChrisWink

Sep 7, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo ~ TAG DNA male

Jasper ~ U2 DNA male
It's been about 3 years. I found a growth under his wing and am taking him to the vet to see if this has anything to do with his behavior. He has actually improved since I brought hom Jasper my U2 baby. He's coming out of his cage and is letting me scratch his beak I'm taking it very slow and on his terms only. I'll let you know what the vet says about the growth.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Really surprised no one can give me some advise to get my Echo back to being an easy to handle bird!

Every once in awhile, you just have to go back to square one with these guys...

CAGS and TAGS are very independent, stubborn, emotional birds.

I went through this for about three weeks with my CAG.

I continued to handle him anyway. Did a refresher course on basic step up, no bite, and a little extra attention. Then it stopped.

There are going to be occasional times when stuff like this just happens.

Like having hormonal amazons in the house, that really don't feel like being handled right now. You just leave them alone for a little while, and they generally get over it in short order.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
I don't know if CAGs respond the way YHA's do, but I can tell you I've been through hell for the past few weeks. My YHA (the one in my avatar) reacts VERY badly to my absence. We went away for one (1) week and, on my return, he turned into the Bird of the Baskervilles. I still have a mangled index finger (he pulled a chunk of it off, and the bone was showing). But, I waited him out and, as of last night, he suddenly realized how much he missed his scritches & cuddles, and (as though someone flipped a switch) he turned back into the loving bird I was missing so much.

We have a CAG, as well, and although he gets cranky after our absence, it only lasts a week or so...unlike my YHA, who has amazing staying power.

Hopefully, all will suddenly right itself, and you'll have your lovable bird back again!

Most Reactions

Latest posts