so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I just got back from my CAV and I am in pieces.

the x-ray from the exotic vet#2 was useless. Bingo must have moved and blurred the image so two new x-rays were performed after getting him stoned.
The x-rays at the CAV show his abdomen is enlarged to the point of squeezing his air sacks into oblivion.
The abdomen area does not show any obvious masses so there is nothing to go in after for surgery.
My Dr. best recommendation is to try to find someone that can perform an ultrasound on him.
He only knows of one up in UC Berkly (6.5 hours away)
Anyway will be looking and searching for that ultra-sound/avian expert
001_001_001_001.jpg

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I am so sorry to hear that. That explains why he’s not taking to the antibiotics. It’s so strange that his blood work is normal when his abdomen is swelling like that.

I hope you can find someone who can squeeze him in for an ultrasound ASAP.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Here is a picture of a normal x-ray from an OWA to compare.
You can see the clear area around the lower abdomen that is completely lacking in Bingo.

normal OWA.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh no, Wes, what awful news, I’m so sorry to hear this. Could it possibly be his liver? I only say that because one of mine once had a fatty liver that showed up on an x-ray, even though the blood work showed zero indication of any liver problems at all. I’m sorry you’re going through this Wes, you have my every sympathy. 💔

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Oh no, Wes, what awful news, I’m so sorry to hear this. Could it possibly be his liver? I only say that because one of mine once had a fatty liver that showed up on an x-ray, even though the blood work showed zero indication of any liver problems at all. I’m sorry you’re going through this Wes, you have my every sympathy. 💔
It doesn’t look like a liver problem.
liver function was normal and x ray doesn’t show anything either
I found a place In Culver City that can do an ultrasound.
wont do it today, too much stress but this place is contacting my CAV to get all the info and we will set something up.
hope I don’t need to take out a second mortgage on the house

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We’ve done x-rays and I think were once quoted for an ultrasound at around $500. I know our human kid has yearly ultrasounds for a genetic issue and it’s never been over $800. I hope that helps, if they haven’t already given you an estimate.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
It doesn’t look like a liver problem.
liver function was normal and x ray doesn’t show anything either
I found a place In Culver City that can do an ultrasound.
wont do it today, too much stress but this place is contacting my CAV to get all the info and we will set something up.
hope I don’t need to take out a second mortgage on the house
Please stay calm, take a deep breath and think positive!! We all care about you and Bingo and you are not alone on this. Just done some research (see below) on fatty liver, some of the symptoms do match to what you have described and I recalled you said he is overweight but his liver function is normal which is a mystery. Have you discussed with the vet about possible liver disease despite of the result or any other possible cause?

" The symptoms can include sudden loss of appetite, lethargic, depression, poor feather quality, and enlarged abdomen due to the liver being enlarged from the additional storage of fat and because of the birds anatomy this can cause difficulty with breathing (Foster 2013)"

If it turns out to be a liver problem, the good thing is it may be curable by changing to a low fat diet and proper exercise.

Our thoughts are with you so don't get discouraged!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wes, I'm so sorry you and Bingo are going through this. I hope the ultrasound isn't too much, having to worry about that as well as Bingo is an awful feeling - I've definitely been there.
Birds lover from Hawaii said it so well, you are not alone in this. I'm praying that the ultrasound gives them more info on how to treat this.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
He’s been my rock for so long.
But I need to keep thinking positive, not …. Um say good by when there is still hope.

I was living in my apartment, first “home“ away from my parents.
We had Plumas first but (I know this sounds bad) we were disappointed in him. We realized Plumas was never going to be a friendly “pet”. But we never considered moving him along .
Bingo came second and both my wife and I were completely enthralled, enchanted, overwhelmed By his friendly nature and taking ability.
Then puberty hit like Maxwells silver hammer and I became the favorite.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Right now you don’t have much idea what could be going on, so I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions. It is helpful to have some explanation because up until now these issues didn’t make much sense.

Sending extra bird hope from Jasper and Willow (generated in their new bird bath) to Bingo and family.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Right now you don’t have much idea what could be going on, so I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions. It is helpful to have some explanation because up until now these issues didn’t make much sense.

Sending extra bird hope from Jasper and Willow (generated in their new bird bath) to Bingo and family.
The thing is.
assuming I can get the ultrasound.
and assuming they see something that could be removed by surgery.
Wit his diminished breathing ability surgery might be impossible anyway.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m trying to recall if CAT is different from ultrasound. Lucy was maybe going too have CAT to look at her eye. Maybe ANY imagery would help.

I’m sorry you and Bingo have to deal with this.

I think the liver can be scarred but still functioning ok. Maybe that’s what’s going on? The liver is the largest abdominal organ and that would explain the problems.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I’m trying to recall if CAT is different from ultrasound. Lucy was maybe going too have CAT to look at her eye. Maybe ANY imagery would help.

I’m sorry you and Bingo have to deal with this.

I think the liver can be scarred but still functioning ok. Maybe that’s what’s going on? The liver is the largest abdominal organ and that would explain the problems.
A cat scan is basically a 3D x ray.
the x ray source and the x ray receiver go round and round while the object being scanned stays in the middle.
computer puts multiple images together into a 3D picture.
exectic vet #2 suggested that at a price of $ 2,400 bucks.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I located my gram scale a few days ago and weighed Bingo this am.
@ 514 grams that’s near identical to weigh-in at the vets yesterday.
intend to keep Daly log of his weight.
at his heaviest hew was 588 grams.
on the 5th of Jan he was @ 550 grams.
Dont know what normal is but @ 588 was told he was overweight.
I think normal can vary by a fair bit depending on where his parents came from originally.

The twins are still not comfortable with the heater in their cage. I have been hanging humongous millet seed … sprigs up close to the heater and during the daytime they both will go up there and eat off it.
At night Luna spends her sleeping time in the smaller cage and won’t go near heater. Merlin stays in the bigger cage but up near the front too far away from heater to do any good.
33181B9B-FD1A-4A5D-9429-C88AB4D44AD6.jpeg

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
I located my gram scale a few days ago and weighed Bingo this am.
@ 514 grams that’s near identical to weigh-in at the vets yesterday.
intend to keep Daly log of his weight.
at his heaviest hew was 588 grams.
on the 5th of Jan he was @ 550 grams.
Dont know what normal is but @ 588 was told he was overweight.
I think normal can vary by a fair bit depending on where his parents came from originally.

The twins are still not comfortable with the heater in their cage. I have been hanging humongous millet seed … sprigs up close to the heater and during the daytime they both will go up there and eat off it.
At night Luna spends her sleeping time in the smaller cage and won’t go near heater. Merlin stays in the bigger cage but up near the front too far away from heater to do any good.
View attachment 47256
How's Bingo appetite? From 550 gm on Jan 5 to 515 gm today lost over 5% weight. Need to make sure he eats enough to at least maintain current weight. Have you considered baby formula? Harrison's have one that you can order on line. I regret so badly till today that I did not feed BB with it sooner causing him losing weight rapidly.

on the other hand, the twins don't want to be near the heater may indicate a good sign as birds would naturally want to be near the warmer spot when they are sick.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
How's Bingo appetite? From 550 gm on Jan 5 to 515 gm today lost over 5% weight. Need to make sure he eats enough to at least maintain current weight. Have you considered baby formula? Harrison's have one that you can order on line. I regret so badly till today that I did not feed BB with it sooner causing him losing weight rapidly.

on the other hand, the twins don't want to be near the heater may indicate a good sign as birds would naturally want to be near the warmer spot when they are sick.
I. Never considered baby bird formula for Bingo.
He is eating.
Typically in am he eats a few pellets (Zupreem nut blend) and he eats some of the dehydrated fruit that’s in the seed mix (after soaking in his water).
He must eat some of the seeds (no sunflower seed) but it’s hard to tell.
Throughout the day he gets little treats and pieces of stuff we are going to eat.
breakfast cereal (Life) .
Small pieces of cookies (Lora Dune shortbread cookies). We are taking 1/4 of a piece, very small.
Lunch might be mashed potatoes or a bit of tortilla/ rice.
evening feeding is veggie’s with probiotics sprinkled on top.

He is a very spoiled bird
But no French fries, no chocolate nothing like that.
The worst thing he gets that he shouldn’t is coffee on rare occasions. I just can’t see harm in one sip of coffee. And I drink dark blend that has less caffeine than standard coffee.
I will be monitoring his weight Daily and recording it.

I am as sure as I can be Bingo would not eat anything from a spoon and force feeding him medicine from a syringe…. Well I don’t know how I could coax him into baby formula.

Most Reactions

Latest posts