Bingo's upcoming vet appointment

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
So once again I am taking Bingo into my avian certified vet tomorrow.
My main concern is his breathing like it has been the last 4 winters.
Despite keeping humidity at about 45% and a slightly warmer house temp.
Also going to have his feet looked at (trim toenails and inspect the bottom of his feet).
I am going to strongly resist my vets insistence on checking for gram negative bacteria in his crop.
I don't see how it can be relevant to a respiratory issue.
Anyway here is a video I recorded and plan to show the vet at the time of appointment.
I think you will see my concern.

Just thinking about the overall situation… anything else that can be modified in his environment that changes in the winter? Sun, vitamin D, fresh air, nibbles of plants, dust or other allergens? A vacuum with a HEPA filter, an air purifier, supplemental lights, free flight, plants… might any of these things help long term during winter months?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Just thinking about the overall situation… anything else that can be modified in his environment that changes in the winter? Sun, vitamin D, fresh air, nibbles of plants, dust or other allergens? A vacuum with a HEPA filter, an air purifier, supplemental lights, free flight, plants… might any of these things help long term during winter months?
Do you think it would help him if he was in the bathroom getting steamed during every shower?

What about nebulizations in an aquarium or reusing human cpap equipment?

I am happy to troubleshoot or exchange ideas if you would like.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure how I missed this Thread, Wes?
Huge /Warm Amazon Feather Hugs and Prayers, Good Friend.

The general specs, look good as 10W is a good output rate for that surface area and should keep Bingo comfortable as the larger surface will provide much needed upper body heat!
As you know, wiring is always an issue with the Big Three and their crushing abilities. As you are well aware of the pressure between the upper and lower Bill is as likely to damage the plastic backing as the heating surface. With great luck, Bingo will be happy with the comfort and not be overly interested in the supply source!

Have yet to find a quality, non-industrial, rod style, infra red, targeted heater that is compatible for residential use. What is available is over-kill in both support area and has demanding 240VAC, 40 amp wiring requirements.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My K & H block heater looks very sturdy and the cable is wrapped with heavy wire to protect it. I am almost certain it would be find for an Amazon parrot. It doesn’t seem to get really warm though, if your bird is sick maybe you could get one of those poultry warming lamps from farm and fleet or a similar livestock store.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
My K & H block heater looks very sturdy and the cable is wrapped with heavy wire to protect it. I am almost certain it would be find for an Amazon parrot. It doesn’t seem to get really warm though, if your bird is sick maybe you could get one of those poultry warming lamps from farm and fleet or a similar livestock store.

Understanding that Bingo could with ease, snap a #2 pencil in half with only moderate effort.
What kind of Heavy Wire is the cable wrapped with as even thin wire would make the cabe very stiff and difficult to create curves. Maybe its string?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Haven’t found the block heater but did find the thermal perch. This might be the one with the wire protector for the cord. Here’s a photo—I got the amazon size perch so Lucy could lay on her tummy on it.
image.jpg

I’m sure I put the block heater somewhere very very safe… and will find it in a few years.

I just googled k&h bird heater and the med/large version which is only a bit more expensive ALSO has this wire wrap around the cable. It’s like a notebook wire but tighter and thicker. I think I’d have a hard time cutting with snips although a man might be able to. I don’t think Amazon could get through. Jasper isn’t as big but he has a heavy beak and this would defeat him.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Haven’t found the block heater but did find the thermal perch. This might be the one with the wire protector for the cord. Here’s a photo—I got the amazon size perch so Lucy could lay on her tummy on it. View attachment 46788

I’m sure I put the block heater somewhere very very safe… and will find it in a few years.

I just googled k&h bird heater and the med/large version which is only a bit more expensive ALSO has this wire wrap around the cable. It’s like a notebook wire but tighter and thicker. I think I’d have a hard time cutting with snips although a man might be able to. I don’t think Amazon could get through. Jasper isn’t as big but he has a heavy beak and this would defeat him.
If not, an infrared chick bulb for cold barns? I’ve used those for a very sick Pionus.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Haven’t found the block heater but did find the thermal perch. This might be the one with the wire protector for the cord. Here’s a photo—I got the amazon size perch so Lucy could lay on her tummy on it. View attachment 46788

Okay, that makes sense as it is likely a spring coiled wire (note spacing between the wraps) made using moderate tensile strength steel wire that allows moderate movement without kinking. It is the spacing between the wire that allows the movement.
FYI: Amazons are a very large family from mid-size to large and as a result, there are variations between recommended perch side within the family as well. My Julio and Wes's Bingo are on the large side and a preferred perch diameter starts in the 2" diameter range an can grow to 4" and larger for sleeping perches.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Okay, that makes sense as it is likely a spring coiled wire (note spacing between the wraps) made using moderate tensile strength steel wire that allows moderate movement without kinking. It is the spacing between the wire that allows the movement.
FYI: Amazons are a very large family from mid-size to large and as a result, there are variations between recommended perch side within the family as well. My Julio and Wes's Bingo are on the large side and a preferred perch diameter starts in the 2" range an can grow to 4" and larger for sleeping perches.
That perch is 1 1/3” at base. The K&H block heater cord looks very like that but the block is all metal no plastic.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The small heater that Bingo is sitting next to is a K&H plate (I think).
I have the power cord (low DC voltage) running inside a pvc pipe.
Only a mac monster could get through and it would take time even for that.

Got a good dose of medicine today (at the cost of Bingo biting the tip off the syringe).
Blood test results show elevated hemocytes.
I will check with a medical friend and find out exactly what that means but he just said to continue med for 10 days.
will see.
Most likely will take him back in after 10 days and have vet check out how his breathing sounds under the stethoscope.

Very tired today. was at LAX until midnight picking up the wife.
Did not get home till nearly 2:00 am.

texsize

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bingo is showing signs of improvement.
This morning he was more demanding for scratches.
Climbing all over me and sometimes giving me the stink eye.. You know that look trying to decide the best place to bite.
He even got kinda loud for a bit and that’s a bit unusual for him.
And just this evening I heard him grinding his beak.
He has been to much in motion for me to tell if his breathing has improved. Or else he’s been sitting at the back of the cage near the large heater. Too far for me to observe his breathing. I put the heater back there cuz that’s Bingo’s hiding spot. He goes there when he wants to meditate and think his deep thoughts.
keeping fingers crossed.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Poor Bingo. Winter here has been unusually brutal and we’ve had to really kick up the heating & humidifiers to keep up. I’m glad the meds seem to be doing something. I don’t know what elevated hemocytes mean either; I do not think it’s been on Kirby’s laundry list of diagnoses yet.

Looking forward to fairer weather for our feathered friends in a few months!

I hope the vet is able to identify what’s going on with him so you guys can form a long term plan.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Bingo is showing signs of improvement.
This morning he was more demanding for scratches.
Climbing all over me and sometimes giving me the stink eye.. You know that look trying to decide the best place to bite.
He even got kinda loud for a bit and that’s a bit unusual for him.
And just this evening I heard him grinding his beak.
He has been to much in motion for me to tell if his breathing has improved. Or else he’s been sitting at the back of the cage near the large heater. Too far for me to observe his breathing. I put the heater back there cuz that’s Bingo’s hiding spot. He goes there when he wants to meditate and think his deep thoughts.
keeping fingers crossed.
I am so glad! I was hoping his meds would kick in soon. He looked so tired in your video.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am not sure Bingo is improving as much as I thought.

He is still sneezing and making this noise I can only describe as a birdy cough. Last night and this morning he has been sleeping next to the large warming plate. This is both good/bad. Good that he is using it, that's why I put it in there. But instead of sitting with his back towards the heat he is sitting with his chest facing the hot plate. I am sure this is more effective at warming him up and will help his chest/lungs more.
It's bad that he needs it.

Bingo is smart enough that he knows I watch him closely. I think he is acting like he feels better just to keep from giving him more medicine.

As an example.
When he is in his cage or close to me I see no signs of panting/mouth breathing. When he was sitting in the window (up high and further away) I have seen him mouth breathing.

I tried to take him into the shower with me. Not so much as to get wet but for the steam/humidity.
I could not get him to budge. I would have had to offer him a dangle.
Show him something he HATES and have him leap to attack the offending object. I did not want to get him riled up that much and it would make him much harder to handle. Not something you want when you are going to be naked in the shower :eek::ROFLMAO:.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Argh!! I was really hoping for good news. I assume you guys have been seeing your vet for a long time, and you are way more experienced than me so you’ve probably already thought this over, but is it possible to get a second opinion somewhere else, especially if you’re not liking how they’re doing swabs etc?

I hate this for you and Bingo. Poor buddy, putting on a brave face like that and everything.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
even though I live in So.Cal I live in the extreme northern area of Los Angeles County.
The High desert has 1 avian vet and 1 exotic vet.
I found an avian vet a little over an hour away and tried to make appointment. The wait time was 2 WEEKS .
That being said my avian vet was the guy that performed surgery (successfully) on Angel’s wing.
The exotic vet I don’t trust ….. not sure how to put it.
the medicine dosage given.
Last time I went was with Lucky.
wanted me to give some outrageous amount of meds and was convinced Lucky was a girl (no way).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I keep needing to remind myself that those graduating from university are spread across the bell-shaped curve and that is true across all disciplines, including medical.

While nursing our Amazons back off the edge, it was not uncommon to have great days and step-backs. I do not recall over what period of time this new round of medication was to be supplied. Ups and downs during the first third of the administration time had been common for us in the past.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Could you get a humidifier and bring it to bingos cage? Maybe make his cage into a sort of steam-tent?

I’m glad he’s using the bird warmer, but I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Could you get a humidifier and bring it to bingos cage? Maybe make his cage into a sort of steam-tent?

I’m glad he’s using the bird warmer, but I’m so sorry you’re going through this.
The humidifier I have is too large to put in his cage. it's not an ultrasonic type but a wicking filter.

When I first started trying to humidify the air I bought an ultrasonic humidifier. Even on full it had a pitiful output.
If I am going to go that route I would want to use a medicated mist not just plain water. IF follow up apt. shows little improvement I am hoping my vet will prescribe something like that.
We are getting hit with that "atmospheric river" ATM and humidity is no problemo.

Most Reactions

Latest posts