My baby budgie just died

skypie739

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
39
Parrots
Sky
My 2 year old budgie was eating when he starting making a gagging / choking sensation then collapsed. I dont know if he went unconscious or died on the spot but he was completely still when we rushed him to the vet. The vet told me that he wasnt choking so it's more likely there was an underlying disease or infection. I noticed he made gagging behaviours before but thought he was adjusting his crop or something. I think I will always regret not double checking with the vet. I feel like losing a pet is so hard because everybody doesnt take it seriously. My family expects me to be up on my feet the day after he died but I am in so much emotional pain because he mattered more to me than all my friends and (controversially) family combined. He became such a constant in my life that im remembered he's not around anymore all the time. I wish I could have done more for him. And I feel like im alone in my grief. Does anyone else feel this way when they lost their bird? How did you move past the pain of missing them and all the regrets?
 
I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful little bird! It's a real loss, and there are many here who understand that. You may wish to get another one at some point, but it won't in any way replace the one that you lost. Family probably won't ever understand, so I wouldn't spend too much energy trying to change them.
 
I’m so sorry for your loss. Our Birds so often become a part of our hearts and losing them causes a very real pain. Allow yourself to grieve the loss of your little friend and know that there is no ‘right’ way to grieve; it is different for each person. Over time, you will find yourself remembering more of the happy times with your bird and less of the sadness you are feeling now, although I don’t think the sadness ever disappears completely and that’s okay, too. I find that opening my heart to a new bird helps fill that missing piece in my life but that decision is different for everyone. Hang in there and know that everyone on this forum does understand your grief ❤️
 
Keep your chin up! You did what you could for your pal, and was clearly loved a lot. **Hugs**
 
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, @skypie739, and I'm sorry the people around you are not more supportive. You are right to feel the way you feel, losing a beloved little bird IS very hard to deal with because they are such pure little souls who love us unconditionally. Please try not to blame yourself, which is easier said than done I know because I always blame myself when it happens to me, but the pain of loss is bad enough already without layering it up with all the "what ifs". I have lost little birds when they were only young too and there are very few worse feelings in the world, but it's the "what ifs" that will make the grief even harder. Your baby knew how much he was loved though, and he would not want you to blame yourself. I'm glad you're here, among people who truly understand how much this hurts, and you have my most sincere and heartfelt condolences. 🙏
 
Thank you for all the kind words 🫶 These past days have been so hard but I feel a bit better now. It's still so heartbreaking looking back at all the old photos and memories but hopefully time will heal all wounds
 
I feel your pain! Losing a budgie you love so much is devastating. Allow yourself to grieve- don't let others convince you that your budgies life wasn't worth grieving over. Dont forget that we do what we can for our birds but sometimes their illnesses are mysterious and untreatable.
 
Post pictures of your beloved budgie.

This is my little baby 🥲
1000013574.webp
 
Wow! He's beautiful! Is he English? Looks like a big boy.
 
My 2 year old budgie was eating when he starting making a gagging / choking sensation then collapsed. I dont know if he went unconscious or died on the spot but he was completely still when we rushed him to the vet. The vet told me that he wasnt choking so it's more likely there was an underlying disease or infection. I noticed he made gagging behaviours before but thought he was adjusting his crop or something. I think I will always regret not double checking with the vet. I feel like losing a pet is so hard because everybody doesnt take it seriously. My family expects me to be up on my feet the day after he died but I am in so much emotional pain because he mattered more to me than all my friends and (controversially) family combined. He became such a constant in my life that im remembered he's not around anymore all the time. I wish I could have done more for him. And I feel like im alone in my grief. Does anyone else feel this way when they lost their bird? How did you move past the pain of missing them and all the regrets?
I know this pain too well, and wish you all the best in your recovery. No one save a bird flock member will be able to understand the depth of your connection, or the agony of your loss. Yes I felt very much alone in my grief, and couldn't barely function for a very long time when I lost my first birdie. Then my second bird, a red rumped parakeet, died of an infection he had when I bought him. Then years later, after 21 years, I lost my third birdie, my beloved jenday conure. It took me over 10 years to get another parrot, and now I have my 4th parrot, a Blue Headed Pionus, Cleo who is now 4. I had a lot of regrets with the deaths, and it took me a very long time to recover. We have to forgive ourselves for not being perfect, birds hide illness very well being prey animals, they don't want to show vulnerability. Please be gentle with yourself and one person told me to "Be your own baby." IDK if this helps, but I can completely relate. There are no magic answers, each of us grieves in our own way and time, but we must respect the depth and gravity of the loss, even if others don't get it. I get it, other bird people get it. We support you. Here's a snapshot of Cleo with a neighbor. :)
 

Attachments

  • april 2026.webp
    april 2026.webp
    186 KB · Views: 118
My 2 year old budgie was eating when he starting making a gagging / choking sensation then collapsed. I dont know if he went unconscious or died on the spot but he was completely still when we rushed him to the vet. The vet told me that he wasnt choking so it's more likely there was an underlying disease or infection. I noticed he made gagging behaviours before but thought he was adjusting his crop or something. I think I will always regret not double checking with the vet. I feel like losing a pet is so hard because everybody doesnt take it seriously. My family expects me to be up on my feet the day after he died but I am in so much emotional pain because he mattered more to me than all my friends and (controversially) family combined. He became such a constant in my life that im remembered he's not around anymore all the time. I wish I could have done more for him. And I feel like im alone in my grief. Does anyone else feel this way when they lost their bird? How did you move past the pain of missing them and all the regrets?
I Know exactly how you feel, one of my birds recently passed away, too. I felt so guilty, 'cause I felt like it was all my fault and I should've done something. I Buried him in my backyard and had a funeral for him by myself. It really helped to sit in front of his grave and just let it all out. Talking to him really helped me process my feeling. I like to pretend he can hear me from bird heaven. I don't think I'll ever get over his poor lifeless body in my hands. I'll always feel guilty for not doing more, but there is not a single thing I can do now. It happened and it will happen again to my other pets eventually. You just have to think about the amazing life he had with you the past 2 years, and how thankful he must be to have had such a great friend.
 
My heart breaks for you. I’m so sorry for your loss. Your budgie was very beautiful. Everyone grieves entirely differently. There is no time line to where someone should get over their pet. If I look at certain photos even years after losing a beloved feathered family member I can still have a flood of emotions.
 
I know exactly what you are going through. I lost my first CAG from smoke caused by electrical fire. I had him 18 yrs from a 6 month old. I knew little about birds and absolutely nothing about parrots especially CAG's. I was still in mourning several years later. No one understood. I was belittled, teased and more. I was alone. I vowed no more birds. My daughter sick and tired of my attitude showed up with a 3.5 month CAG who had a serious attitude beginning. No she didn't understand me. She was just tired of my behavior. That brought me around. I still miss number 1. I find myself looking at his picture with a tear after all these decades. Loosing doesn't mean forgetting. Yours was handsome. Remember the good. Mine renamed himself Richard and me Bird. I still smile at that.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom