Bird in kitchen

sambreroguy

May 26, 2012
Will it make my cockatiel (or conure) more loud and obnoxious if it lives in the kitchen? (from the dishes clashing)

lot of dangerous fumes in the kitchen you need to be aware of. also i have never had success with keeping birds in different rooms then the family. seems to make them more obnoxious about calling out for the flock.

I wouldn't recommend keeping a Bird in the Kitchen, especially when you are cooking!

In answer to your question regarding the noise , I dont think it would make them any louder.. They tend to adapt to all the usual Household noises.

perrots like to be where the flock are. If they can be with you around the house then they are happy

Will it make my cockatiel (or conure) more loud and obnoxious if it lives in the kitchen? (from the dishes clashing)

As already mentioned it's not recommended keeping a bird in the kitchen, not only for the fumes, parrots can & do come to grief by flying into hot pans, sinks filled with hot water, boiling water on the stove & so forth. I would advise a much safer place like the living/lounge room. IMO the kitchen is no place for a bird.:)

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but come on... why not the kitchen? all of our 6 budgies (that we had before we got our sun) were always in the kitchen and they all lived a long life (isn't 10 years long enough for a budgie?), not one landed in a sink full of hot water (btw: why the hell would anyone need to have a full sink with boiling hot water there for the whole day :eek: ) and even when we had hot water on the stove, we never let our birds out of the cage till it cooled down and the hot pans were covered with a cloth or something... and non of our birds died just because they were in the kitchen.... and when you cook, just put the bird in the cage for the short while (or does anyone cook meals for 6 hours?) and problem is solved... then again: why ould you leave a sink full of boiling water there if you already know that you will let the bird out? .... and they still had company, cause they were out of the cage most of the day and in the living room with us, so this is no problem either....:rolleyes:

sorry if anyone is offended, but it's just my opinion, you don't have to think the same...;)

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but come on... why not the kitchen? all of our 6 budgies (that we had before we got our sun) were always in the kitchen and they all lived a long life (isn't 10 years long enough for a budgie?), not one landed in a sink full of hot water (btw: why the hell would anyone need to have a full sink with boiling hot water there for the whole day :eek: ) and even when we had hot water on the stove, we never let our birds out of the cage till it cooled down and the hot pans were covered with a cloth or something... and non of our birds died just because they were in the kitchen.... and when you cook, just put the bird in the cage for the short while (or does anyone cook meals for 6 hours?) and problem is solved... then again: why ould you leave a sink full of boiling water there if you already know that you will let the bird out? .... and they still had company, cause they were out of the cage most of the day and in the living room with us, so this is no problem either....:rolleyes:

sorry if anyone is offended, but it's just my opinion, you don't have to think the same...;)

I wouldn't keep my fids in the kitchen as, say, their living space, but I take my birds into the kitchen all the time. Especially while I'm doing prep work for cooking, and while doing dishes because we get to keep each other company that way. Loki has a favorite spot in the kitchen and when he sees me chopping stuff up, he gets very curious (although the bugger still doesn't eat the majority of what I let him try). However, I also clip my birds wings, I cover boiling pots and I don't shoulder them, they're on a stand. Only once has there ever been an "incident" and that was when Loki hopped in to the sink while I was pre-washing dishes to go into the dishwasher (it was all running water, not standing water or a sink full) and the only issue then was the grease and the fact that he couldn't get out of the sink on his own.

However, if you have a house with a more open layout, where you have a family room that adjoins the kitchen with only a half wall, a bar/island or nothing at all, I see nothing wrong with keeping your fids in that area. It's probably where the family (the bird's "flock" spends the majority of their time anyway.

I keep my birds in my bedroom, but we also tend to have at least one of us in the bedroom for several hours a day, aside from sleeping. We hang out in our bedroom (we jokingly call ourselves "bedroom people") because it's the most comfortable space in the house for us. I know some people would have hesitation or reservations about such an arrangement, but it works well for us for now. Everyone has to do what works best for them, while keeping their birds safety and health into consideration throughout it all.

well sadly we don't really have all the space in the living room, so the birds just had to be in the kitchen and they were in the cage really only when cooking (or doing something like this and I just couldn't have them there up and down my hands) and when sleeping, so all day long they were out of the cage and around the whole apartment with me (mostly), my mum and my grandad, so the kitchen is really not the living space but just a sleeping space for my sun... also the sink (and stuff like that) is no problem as she isn't clipped and can just fly out :D ... oh yeah, and I have to put her back in the cage when eating, cause the little thing just keeps stealing food from me, wants to try everything that I eat too (yesterday she wanted my yoghurt really bad).... but other than that I don't think the kitchen is not a place for the cage, but yeah, it depends on the person and how much he/she is careful (or not) ns how much time the ird is actually locked up in there...

I would love to have the cage (not just the bird) in the living room though :bigeyes:

The man who owned Kayak before I adopted her from him used to keep her in the kitchen all the time! Her cage was in there and she had one of those ropes that hung from the ceiling. This bird is a pooping machine so the thought of her living in my kitchen creeps me out. :eek: She is also a food thief. She wants EVERYTHING I have.

Today my father and I were making sandwiches and he was cutting up a tomato. I asked if he would cut me a slice and he goes "Wait, I thought you didn't eat tomatoes unless they were Jersey tomatoes?" I told him "It's not for me dad. It's for Yak Yak." He just stared at me. I brought her treat cup into the kitchen, cut up some romaine, cut up the slice of tomato, tossed some walnut bits in it and gave it to Kayak. She had a salad while I ate my sammich. :D The look on his face was a look of confusion/terror. Non-Bird people just don't understand...

Thanks for your advice everyone. I have a family of 6, and so there is considerably more kitchen noise in our house than most homes. I once had a parakeet that lived in the kitchen for a while, and over this period it seemed to become grouchy/VERY loud. Thats why I asked this Q ;)

Thanks for your advice everyone. I have a family of 6, and so there is considerably more kitchen noise in our house than most homes. I once had a parakeet that lived in the kitchen for a while, and over this period it seemed to become grouchy/VERY loud. Thats why I asked this Q ;)

You may find that sometimes the bird may want to "compete" with the noise for attention, or to "fit in". If everything is noisy, and it wants to be heard, it could assume that "kitchen noise levels" are "all the time/everyday noise levels"

Keeping them in the kitchen while cooking is risky (as per others responses). If you are there and social-ising* and want to bring the bird in, I don't see an issue - but whilst cooking, it wouldn't be recommended.

Last edited:
I have a table java stand in my kitchen where Jasper goes when I'm doing anything other than cooking out there. I spend most of my time on the computer so both birds are in here with me.

I agree for safety that I wouldn't want them living there but I have a very tiny kitchen and I would be worried about fumes and other things. I also don't spend much time in my kitchen and I like to have the birds with me. I suppose if the kitchen were the absolute hub of my family and it was big enough to keep them far enough away from danger, why not.

I kinda agree with everyone else, and its up to your disgression and how the bird individually responds.

but we have a rather open plan house, (with 8 people in it) and the 'family room' is basically an extension of the kitchen with a bench in between anyway. And we never had issues with the cockatiel or ekkie being loud or grouchy simply because of the kitchen noise.

[FONT=&quot]Most birds would prefer much more time out of their cages with their flock. If you're not able to provide this much time to your bird, consider adopting another bird that could provide that intense social interaction that birds need.

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
[FONT=&quot]Most birds would prefer much more time out of their cages with their flock. If you're not able to provide this much time to your bird, consider adopting another bird that could provide that intense social interaction that birds need.

[/FONT]

I think it would be unfair on the other bird if they hated each other. Getting another bird to solve an issue of social interaction isn't always the best solution. If your birds don't get along, then you'll have TWO birds that aren't getting enough social interaction, which can lead to behavioral issues such as screaming, plucking or depressive symptoms.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back