Bird Purchase Mistake - Help!!!

OP
M

MegZ

Sep 24, 2020
MN
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure
Hello all. Sorry for the delay. I am one of the blessed who is working remotely and VERY busy. Here's the story. This will be a long one. A week ago Saturday, we gave Jasper up to the rescue organization we know of - filled out the papers saying we relinquish him and took in another bird they felt could be a good fit for us. Don't panic. Jasper is now with us and will not be leaving. Everyone knows we had a very, very rough start. I don't know if I described what he was like but he could barely walk or climb and I thought he was going to fall and hit the floor of his cage. He would face plant every few steps. He didn't know how to step up. He would run away from us pretty much all the time. Nothing motivated him, i.e. being out of the cage, treats, nada. Stick/clicker training had no foundation to work on. He would hang in the upper part of his cage and refuse to come out. He smelled terrible. This was so starkly opposite my experience with my other green cheek (who had died a few weeks before Jasper had come home after an unexplained illness), that I just day and day out felt like it was so much work and not much joy. That maybe we weren't the match for him/way to help him.

But, every day, our relationship with him grew. He stopped hiding all the time. There would be glimpses of his interest in us, following us down the hall if we left the room, for example. If I put him on my shoulder, he would stay there. He liked to be petted at night. Slowly he made growth, as you can see from my previous posts. I had reached out to a rescue organization early on that I know. I had at one time filled out adoption papers there and know some of their staff. I reached out to them early on because as we struggled, we had both the message that we shouldn't give up and the message that it might be best for Jasper if we were still struggling. I had reached out to them a few weeks after he came home, saying what our experience was and that we might at some point need their help the opposite direction - not adoption but finding Jasper a home. Then, as we worked our journey, I forgot about that contact.

A couple weeks ago, they were looking for a home for a bird and wondering if we wanted to foster to keep a bird, and they could assist with Jasper. Based on our previous experience with our Milo, they thought this would be a perfect match. They could work with him and then find him a home and we would be having a more typical experience. They trusted us because they know we are good owners. I met that little cutie - a girl, but after much thought, I said no.

Anyone who knows me, knows I struggle with emotional decisions that affect me. I give advice all the time. People come to me for advice. I am an empath. I can feel all the energy around me and want everyone to be happy. I thought what I was feeling for Jasper was just sympathy. The little joys I felt were little things - when he came searching for us, when he played with his little toys, when he wanted to look out a window. This experience was a shadow of what we had before. That contact from the organization just opened a can of worms, where I wondered about whether we were the right fit. We went on with our week but then later that week, had two bad days, where we were having some struggles, and I texted the woman to find out if the other bird was still available. She said yes.

Based on our description of our previous bird and our description of what we wanted, she was convinced that this was our bird. She suggested that we give this a try and set a date for us to drop him and we could set up to foster/adopt her. Even though I made the contact, I dragged my heels to filling out the paperwork. I got his stuff together. His food. I wrote out a card with a scripture on it to go with him.

Needless to say, they ended up with Jasper and we ended up with the new bird who was two years old and relinquished because she was sooo velcro. She was lovely and opposite of Jasper. Had issues with stress and regulating herself where you needed her to take a break and settle down. We did great with her pushy behavior. But when she was with us, it was like a lightbulb came on. She wasn't like Milo either and she was the opposite side of the same coin. She needed help calming down. Jasper needed help engaging.

In the meantime, the rescue kept in touch a few times by text. They found he had significant fear and felt he had been early weaned and his wing trim from the pet store was terrible. I said yeah and that is from two months ago. They were surprised that he didn't easily step up. I explained he knows how to step up but he does it as he wants something. They were struggling with some of the same things we were.

While all this was going on, I was hit with a realization. The day we gave him up, I went to bed that night and woke up in the morning with an anxiety attack - at 5 AM - I couldn't sleep. I had to go downstairs to sleep because I started crying. I suddenly felt like I had made the biggest mistake of my life. I worried they didn't understand how he loved his food. That they wouldn't get his little quirks. I remembered that the day he left, he called to us from his cage in the AM for the first time. He wanted to sit in our hands. I realized I had blown it. I called my friend who has birds, kind of a basket case. She said - "well it's too late" We gave him up on Saturday and by Sunday evening I was a wreck. I broke down crying for a straight half hour. Our little new foster addition was sweet and a beautiful and wonderful bird but she wasn't Jasper. We hadn't worked for her velcroness. We hadn't worked for every step of growth. It wasn't the same. My husband said, you either call them or need to do something to calm down. I called one of the people in the rescue group I felt would understand. She was very kind. She said he wasn't going anywhere. He wasn't ready to go anywhere. She wanted us to take a few days and really let what we have sink in, because if he came home, he had to stay, which I already knew.

We did what she said but it just got harder. People who knew our struggle felt we should keep our new lovely bird. I ended up with a migraine on Sunday night from the stress and missed work last Monday. I laid on the couch with the foster velcro bird sitting on my forehead. I got lots of advice, much of it to just stay the course. By Wednesday of last week, after many steps, including self-reflection/meditation, I told the woman I was coming to get him and that he would NEVER leave our home again.

We went to get Jasper last Wednesday. He was so happy to see us that he purred every time we said his name. The first day home, we were all so relieved. I fed him his favorite foods and he ate like he had not been fed. I knew they wouldn't get his quirks. We got some ideas from them for a few changes we made. He has now been making very steady progress and has been adorable. I had told them he is very naive. They agreed - naive - like a kid looking at everything in the world the first time. They agreed. He was thrilled we came for him and we were thrilled to see him. Every day since he came home, he just wants to be out. If we leave the room, he comes looking for us. He is adorable to the highest degree. I don't know why I couldn't see it before. My grief. My previously VERY different experience. I don't know. My daughter met both birds. She is in love with Jasper and thinks he is beyond cute.

I learned a very hard lesson. But I did learn something. Meeting that other bird helped me see that there is no magic situation that will bring me back what I had, that our difficult journey is part of our story and well earned. That we love him because we have seen his growth.

We are all at home and he is never leaving us again. I can't believe I got that close to losing him and that I was so dense that I could not see that I love him. LOTS. That's our story.

Addendum: The foster birdie got a new home too, in a house with another bird, and people who love birds. She went to her new home this last Sunday.

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Oh my - I’m so thrilled for you all....thank you for the update :).

OP
M

MegZ

Sep 24, 2020
MN
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure
Oh my - I’m so thrilled for you all....thank you for the update :).

I am going to try to put together our story in pictures, from that HORRIBLE cage at the pet store till now, with pics of the temporary birdie too. I can't remember the best way to do that. I guess add it to my page and then add the link here?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
This is wonderful! I'm so happy for you :) I think the big take away from the whole thing is that it's hard to see the big picture when you're in the thick of the little day to day changes. Those of us outside of that could see it. It took time and work, but even though the changes were small and incremental, the total is HUGE, and well earned. We got to see you fall in love with little Jasper, when you probably didn't even realize it yourself. It's hard to watch good people struggle, because in the end, you had to do what was right for you.

Taking that step back gave the chance to really see for yourself how far you came with all that dedication and effort, and how much you grew to care for him. It's a beautiful thing. Jasper will never be your previous bird, but that's okay. Accepting that he is who he is was difficult in the midst of grieving, but you got there. We knew you could do it. Congratulations!

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
This made me cry! I am so happy for you and for jasper!!! Big big hugs for you and head scritches for jasper (when he allows it)

KitKatPlus

Sep 19, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Parrots
Caesar the tiel (foster)
This is just an amazing story! I'm so glad you both wholeheartedly chose each other. Without giving him up, you may have never realized how much you loved him <3 everything happens for a reason! :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The lesson to take away from this thread, which is one we always tell newcomers to parrot ownership, is to let the parrot unfold at his or her own pace. It might be days or weeks, or even months, but with patience and love and knowledge, almost every parrot will open up and shine.

So glad you decided to stay the course!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I’m not crying. You’re crying. I’m so glad this turned out this way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I’m not crying. You’re crying. I’m so glad this turned out this way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C'mon Inger, we're all crying! Happy tears of joy for you and Jasper, MegZ! But in truth I don't think you were ever going to lose him because he was meant to be with you and this just proves it. I wish you a long, happy and loving life together!! (somebody pass me a hanky please.......................)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Phenomenal story of love, perseverance, and serendipity. A most welcome update as year 2020 winds to a conclusion!

OP
M

MegZ

Sep 24, 2020
MN
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure
Thank you all for being so great and so helpful. We are here and he is doing great. I went from truly struggling to like him/connect with him to being completely smitten. He is next to me right now on his climbing toy. He is now sitting in our hands and wanting to be with us ALL THE TIME. Could he be any cuter? Click on the link for the pic below.

megz-albums-cutest-photos-ever-picture22896-surprise-mom.jpg

http://www.parrotforums.com/members/megz-albums-cutest-photos-ever-picture22896-surprise-mom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Amazing, I'm so so happy for you both! I look forward to hearing more about jasper and how he gets on x

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
MegZ, I have taken the liberty of fixing up that pic for you. You can post pics this way by copying the address as you have done, but enter it into the "insert image" icon that appears at the top of the Quick Reply box - it's the one that looks like a landscape.

Jasper is such a beautiful baby and I'm looking forward to sharing in your journey! Hugs to both of you :)

OP
M

MegZ

Sep 24, 2020
MN
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure
MegZ, I have taken the liberty of fixing up that pic for you. You can post pics this way by copying the address as you have done, but enter it into the "insert image" icon that appears at the top of the Quick Reply box - it's the one that looks like a landscape.

Jasper is such a beautiful baby and I'm looking forward to sharing in your journey! Hugs to both of you :)

I always forget how to do it and I want to load a few more. Thank you.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Oh gosh he is stinking cute! I’m so glad you guys are happy together - a relationship that you work hard to build can be just as satisfying and I’m thrilled that it all came together for you :). Please fill us in often - we have an emotional investment in this :D

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I loooooove happy endings, even though this is now really just beginning. Thank you for sticking it out. Jasper is adorable, and definitely worth the effort. I'm happy and proud that support from the community/family here could help along the way. This truly is the best place for parrot folks out there. Please keep us updated. This is my favorite feel good story of the season!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you all for being so great and so helpful. We are here and he is doing great. I went from truly struggling to like him/connect with him to being completely smitten. He is next to me right now on his climbing toy. He is now sitting in our hands and wanting to be with us ALL THE TIME. Could he be any cuter? Click on the link for the pic below.

http://www.parrotforums.com/members/megz-albums-cutest-photos-ever-picture22896-surprise-mom.jpg

Such progress @ and I see his personality blooming!
I want that climbing toy!!! Where did you get it??
I also want Littkeredbeaks frog fountain! Yiu all find neat stuff for the birdies!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Stunning picture, Jasper is gorgeous! So happy you were all able, including Jasper, to crack the code of breakthrough and success!

OP
M

MegZ

Sep 24, 2020
MN
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure

I also want Littkeredbeaks frog fountain! Yiu all find neat stuff for the birdies!

Thank you. He gets cuter every day. I ordered this on Amazon. He loves it. I just notice that a couple people in comments said it is not safe for birds. I don't know why that would be. It's made of metal rings. The covering is raffia, which is from the leaves of a Palm tree from Madagascar and the metal looks like chrome-plated steel and very clean looking. Additionally, the colored raffia looks like natural or very lite coloring. Any ideas why any of that would be a problem. I can't see why. Here is the link. https://smile.amazon.com/Wontee-Cli...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Thank you. He gets cuter every day. I ordered this on Amazon. He loves it. I just notice that a couple people in comments said it is not safe for birds. I don't know why that would be. It's made of metal rings. The covering is raffia, which is from the leaves of a Palm tree from Madagascar and the metal looks like chrome-plated steel and very clean looking. Additionally, the colored raffia looks like natural or very lite coloring. Any ideas why any of that would be a problem. I can't see why. Here is the link. https://smile.amazon.com/Wontee-Cli...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Thanks for sharing, I love the circle design. And Jasper ( perfect name) looks so great .

The toy uses iron as the metal, im going yo research the safety of iron in a birds toy as im unsure. Edit: still insure, iron is safe -ish, if coated with anti rust it is not safe, if it rust not safe. But otherwise seems iron is safe . O feel cautious about this. Maybe others will weigh in.

But here is a link to metal toxicity , if its not stainless steel its not safe, in my opinion.
Heavy Metal Poisoning in Birds

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts