Bird Tips

cosmere-birb

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
No parrots yet, but I hope to get one soon!
Hi everyone, so I've never had a bird before but I am getting a cockatiel in a few months (I'm not 100% sure how soon it will be).
Could you share some of your most helpful tips for taking care of a bird, etc? Thanks!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Random tips in no particular order:
  • The obvious: diet, setup, etc
  • Be patient and go at the bird’s pace.
  • Stay calm, they pick up our emotions.
  • Love your bird and they will love you.
  • Make sure there’s always food available to your bird.
  • Mental stimulation is SO important.
Good luck with your tiel, thanks for asking!

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Here are some of my tips:
  1. Cage Setup should include natural wood perches and varying shreddable toys
  2. Foraging toys will probably be your best friend. It’s so crucial for a bird to work for their food sometimes and it’s so stimulating for them.
  3. Diet is important to ensure their physical well being. Make sure to feed a high quality pellet, vary your fruits and veggies, and some treats here and there.
  4. Go at the birds pace when attempting the taming and trust building process. It will be rewarding at the end.
  5. Dedicate a specific time to hang out and interact with your bird since they do require lots of attention and out of cage time.
  6. Interaction doesn’t always have to be physical. Even training or speaking to your bird will suffice.
  7. Know that birds will be moody some days and like humans, have their happy and unhappy moments.
  8. Hormone season will be a bummer. So try not to physically stimulate a bird by simply avoiding anywhere that is not the head and neck and make sure diet is on point.
  9. Harness training is really nice if you wish to take your bird on little adventures outside with you. Another great way to enrich your birds life.
  10. Bonus: Air purifiers! Maybe shouldn’t even be a bonus. Just a part of bird life. With all that dander and dust from birds and in the home, not only is an air purifier a necessary investment for you, but also for your feathered friend since their respiratory systems are probably one of the most fragile things out there.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
YOU ALREADY DID THE MOST WONDERFUL THING... you joined us. You'll enrich us and we'll enrich your lives. Well done!

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions