Bird toy

Kyrnar04

Dec 19, 2021
Parrots
Green alexanderine parrot (male)
Yellow indian ringneck parrot (male)
I went to the petship a few days ago and i found this bird toy. So i thought why not make it my self. My question is are those wooden coloured spheres safe for parrotsbecause the purpose of the toy is to be destroyed and thus entertain the parrot. The toy is unfinished
First 2 pics pet shop toy
3-6 pic my toy
Am refering to the brown and blue spheres
Thank you in advance
20220427_134554.jpg

Attachments

• 20220427_134558.jpg
    20220427_134558.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220501_083905.jpg
    20220501_083905.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220501_083908.jpg
    20220501_083908.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220501_083911.jpg
    20220501_083911.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 142

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if the parrot would be able to easily chew and break apart the unfinished wooden cubes but more likely to move around and rattle the beads?

I don’t think they MUST be able to destroy the whole toy. I save old toy parts and restring or rewire them to make new toys.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Hi,Cotton Rope toys are dangerous because birds can chew and swallow them and birds cannot digest them. It can also cause crop infection,the only way to treat crop infection is through surgery which is very risky and dangerous for your birds and there are many more risks about cotton rope toys but there are safe ropes such as coir,hemp,jute,sisal and manila ropes, cotton rope boings are nice but if you notice your bird chewing them remove it i have a cotton rope boing and my birds never chew it but it's better to have natural rope boings.you can use vet tape to wrap your cotton rope boing some bird owners do but like i said it's better to have natural rope boings i am planning to order natural rope boings and remove the cotton rope boings just to be safe.

OP
K

Kyrnar04

Dec 19, 2021
Parrots
Hi,Cotton Rope toys are dangerous because birds can chew and swallow them and birds cannot digest them. It can also cause crop infection,the only way to treat crop infection is through surgery which is very risky and dangerous for your birds and there are many more risks about cotton rope toys but there are safe ropes such as coir,hemp,jute,sisal and manila ropes, cotton rope boings are nice but if you notice your bird chewing them remove it i have a cotton rope boing and my birds never chew it but it's better to have natural rope boings.you can use vet tape to wrap your cotton rope boing some bird owners do but like i said it's better to have natural rope boings i am planning to order natural rope boings and remove the cotton rope boings just to be safe.
Ok thanks for the advice on the rope since the toy isnt done i will do it again with a differwnt kind of rope
But because of their colour are those spheres safe for parrots to eat?

OP
K

Kyrnar04

Dec 19, 2021
Parrots
I wonder if the parrot would be able to easily chew and break apart the unfinished wooden cubes but more likely to move around and rattle the beads?

I don’t think they MUST be able to destroy the whole toy. I save old toy parts and restring or rewire them to make new toys.
I think he will be able to to chew them
He chews a lot of stuff. And am sure he can move around but am open to suvestions to improove it since it isnt finished yet and i will probably be starting all over to add a new kind of rope

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
With the wooden spheres, much depends on where you bought them. If they were meant for jewelry that are more than likely not bird safe.
I would only use coloured beads that I dyed or ones bought from a reputable bird shop. A lot of toys meant for infants - very young children are usually okay as well.

May I ask what this blue cloth material is made from?

20220501_083911-jpg.39427

OP
K

Kyrnar04

Dec 19, 2021
Parrots
With the wooden spheres, much depends on where you bought them. If they were meant for jewelry that are more than likely not bird safe.
I would only use coloured beads that I dyed or ones bought from a reputable bird shop. A lot of toys meant for infants - very young children are usually okay as well.

May I ask what this blue cloth material is made from?

20220501_083911-jpg.39427
Sorry just saw it
The dark blue cloth is just plane fabric and the other one i from an old dog leash
Ok thanks for the advice yes they were bought as jewlery pieces so you are probably right

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My parrots reaction... DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY!

Srsly though

Buy balsa wood at hardware store and don't paint it. They sell it for hobby stuff but its like wood made of sponges.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Sorry just saw it
The dark blue cloth is just plane fabric and the other one i from an old dog leash
Ok thanks for the advice yes they were bought as jewlery pieces so you are probably right
I would leave out the fabric completely. Cardboard, thin slices of safe wood, cupcake holders, or toy parts bought from a bird store would be a safer choice.

Most Reactions

Latest posts