Birds and Allergies

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
After reading _ad_'s post yesterday about her new birdie to be and a possible allergy problem, I did a little google search on allergies and birds. I found out yes, they can have allergies. I am curious About this because Tina scratches the feathers away around her eye and I've been thinking about getting her into the vet for a check up to see if there is anything we can do.

She has been doing it for the entire time I have owned her ( 10 years) and came to me this way. The feathers come back in when she molts but she invariably scratches them out again. She was initially vet checked after I got her and pronounced healthy.

Bird Allergies

The research I did yesterday said birds could become allergic to local trees and flowering plants and also mentioned some birds could have problems with the dusty type birds.

I was thinking how this could possibly be the case with an Eclectus being kept in a shop with cockateils. Just my own thoughts..

I found this part especially interesting from the Bird Channel article:

"There are other things that you can do to prevent or minimize seasonal allergies in birds. Make sure that your bird receives adequate vitamin A in the diet or as a supplement. Beta-carotene is very safe and nontoxic as a supplement that is converted to active vitamin A in the body, and the excess is excreted unchanged, unlike vitamin A, which is toxic if overdosed. Vitamin A is necessary for the lining of the mouth, GI tract and respiratory tract to function properly. Some supplements provide amino acids and other nutrients that help the body heal and repair. These nutrients can provide immune support.

Keeping your bird healthy and on a balanced diet are very important to keep the immune system functioning optimally. It may seem counterintuitive to support the immune system when that is what is causing the allergic reaction to begin with. But it is also important to keep the immune system functioning so that secondary bacterial or fungal infections don’t cause problems either.

If your bird is suffering from allergies, antihistamines can help prevent the release of histamines from the cells, which cause the clinical signs related to allergies. But don’t administer any antihistamines or other allergy medications unless prescribed by your avian veterinarian. But the best and safest route for a bird with allergies is to try to avoid its exposure to any known or suspected allergens."

Anything we can do to support our birds good health through proper diet is appealing to me. It's always better IMO to feed healthy and give the body a chance to fight problems on it's own than have to run to the vet for medication if you don't have to!

This was another article I found especially interesting explaining more about diet and foods that may be helpful.

My Bird Scratches All of the Time! ? Allergy Help! Β« The BEST Bird Food -"We Have A Passion For Birds!" -For people who want to understand "how" nutrition works!

Last edited:

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
This is a great discussion. I know that birds to occasionally react to allergens but normally babies don't. When I commented on the budgies it was in relation to them being known carriers of Psittacosis. I wasn't thinking of the allergy part of her post.

Michelle, the woman whose site you link to above has some interesting ideas but I don't think any of them are scientific. Mostly her thoughts.

I've heard of some supposed allergies to corn but don't know if anyone has actually tested their Eclectus.

Like you, I think a real food diet is the best thing we can do for our birds. I do worry about providing Vit D.

OP
Peeker

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
The first article I mentioned was written by Margaret A. Wissman, DVM so I give some value to what she has to say. The second one did appear to be only the writers personal thoughts but Trying the foods she was mentioning didn't seem like it could cause any harm and then if it worked? Well that would be bonus! :)

She didn't really offer amounts of what would be required to "squelch the release of histamines" but I thought a few raw pumpkin seeds couldn't hurt and my birds would love the effort lol!

_ad_

Feb 19, 2013
Sin City
Parrots
Optimus - Male Red Sided Eclectus
He's no longer my bird to be, he came home (a little earlier than expected) today.

Anyhow, he did come with a paper that the vet signed off on 3 times stating that the bird is in good health. In addition, he comes with a free vet visit, and poop culture. I am going to have a pluck test throw in at his first visit as well.

I will talk to the vet a little more about the allergy claims and I will let you know what he says. Thanks for the link!

OP
Peeker

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Congrats _ad_! I would love to hear what the vet has to say. In the meantime...any pictures?

Most Reactions

Latest posts