Divorce and parrots?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
So, my parents are almost definitely getting divorced. Shocker, right? Yeah, Iā€™m not surprised in the slightest. Anyway, my mom and I discussed plans and Iā€™m not sure how this will work for my birdsā€¦

So, whatā€™s going on?

My mom is going to stay with her friend for a while, and my dad keeps the house. Where do I go? Both, of course. Stay at the friendā€™s house for the day, return home at night.

So now hereā€™s the question:

What on earth do I do with my birds? Like, I plan on taking them with me for the day since I canā€™t leave them home all day. Thatā€™d be so incredibly wrong. But idk what or how any of this could work out.

Cricket will be easy as pie to move around, as her cage is small and easy to secure into a car seat. But there isnā€™t a cage that I could comfortably fit Rico into that would be big enough for the day but small enough to fit into a car.

maybe I could ask if I could set up Ricoā€™s smaller dome top cage there, but she might say no.

Also, should I put my birds onto a vitamin supplement to boost their immune system during this whole mess?

Also, also, would a bird bag be a good idea? Just a bag full of food, extra toys, an Alan wrench (you never knew when you need one), a first aid kit, possibly vitamins, a towel, cayenne pepper, and nail clippers. Pretty much everything in my bird drawer, really.

I dunno, Iā€™m just stressed for my birds. I donā€™t care that my parents are splitting, Iā€™ve seen it coming for four years, but what I do care about is the fragile, scissor-faced chickens I live with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
I donā€™t really now, but, I think you should bring the things just in case. A bit of vitamin supply may work, they could be very stressed by the sudden change. If you see any changes or weird behaviours your birds are doing, then, you should be alert. I have a few questions: Have they moved before? Have they ever been on a car? Have they ever been outside? Are they sensitive to change and noises? If you answer these questions, I may know the answers.
Maybe, just maybe, you donā€™t need the nail clippers. I think you donā€™t have to bring ALL the toys. Just a few. If your just going there for one day, just think of the daily things your bird use. If not, or your going to live there, or not going back to your fatherā€™s house, then, maybe itā€™s best to bring everything. Good luck! Best wishes from me and Ruby!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I donā€™t really now, but, I think you should bring the things just in case. A bit of vitamin supply may work, they could be very stressed by the sudden change. If you see any changes or weird behaviours your birds are doing, then, you should be alert. I have a few questions: Have they moved before? Have they ever been on a car? Have they ever been outside? Are they sensitive to change and noises? If you answer these questions, I may know the answers.
Maybe, just maybe, you donā€™t need the nail clippers. I think you donā€™t have to bring ALL the toys. Just a few. If your just going there for one day, just think of the daily things your bird use. If not, or your going to live there, or not going back to your fatherā€™s house, then, maybe itā€™s best to bring everything. Good luck! Best wishes from me and Ruby!
To a different house or? If itā€™s to a different house, then no.

They have but only once or twice.

Yep, they enjoy going outside in a spare cage.

Nope, they are fairly resilient to change, especially Rico since I often change things. Cricket is getting used to occasional changes, and so far she does fine. And both are bomb-proof in a sense of noise. They donā€™t even notice loud noises, unless itā€™s at night.

Yeah, I donā€™t plan on bringing the toy chest lol, just some extra toys or some foraging activities for them.

Iā€™d imagine that Iā€™d probably go to the friendā€™s house early in the morning or something, but idk yet. Itā€™ll be a daily back and forth, and thankfully, I wonā€™t interact with my dad much. So Iā€™ll pack: 3-5 extra toys, possibly vitamins, their food, the first aid kit, a towel, the Alan wrench, tissues, and Iā€™ll probably bring one of the small, wooden play stands for the birds to hang out on.

And Iā€™ll pack my own bag, with what I need like clothes, my own blanket, iron supplement, phone, charger, my drivers permit, etc. stuff like that. And then Iā€™ll just go home at night.

I am rather envious of my brother. He gets to get outta here next year, and he wonā€™t have to deal with this stuff. Sigh. Iā€™ll have my freedom soon.

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
In the result of your answer, I would say that would adapt very good to the new change. Make sure they get plenty of sleep! I would say ā€˜No sleep, no birds!ā€™ They would get a lot grumpier if thereā€™s not enough sleep!
You forgot to bring one thing in your bag! Rico and Cricket! šŸ˜‚ I understand what itā€™s like to be a child. When I was a child, everyday, I would dream about how good and free it will be when I finally is out if the grasp of those talons! ;) But trust me, itā€™s not THAT good in this BIG, BAD world. I mean, where will you live? How to get enough money as a bird slave?ā€¦etc Well, thatā€™s in the future. Give Rico and Cricket a lot of extra treats and scratches for me!!!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
In the result of your answer, I would say that would adapt very good to the new change. Make sure they get plenty of sleep! I would say ā€˜No sleep, no birds!ā€™ They would get a lot grumpier if thereā€™s not enough sleep!
You forgot to bring one thing in your bag! Rico and Cricket! šŸ˜‚ I understand what itā€™s like to be a child. When I was a child, everyday, I would dream about how good and free it will be when I finally is out if the grasp of those talons! ;) But trust me, itā€™s not THAT good in this BIG, BAD world. I mean, where will you live? How to get enough money as a bird slave?ā€¦etc Well, thatā€™s in the future. Give Rico and Cricket a lot of extra treats and scratches for me!!!
Phew, I hope this goes well then.

Yep, not long after I get home, Iā€™d put them to bedā€¦ I should probably get a seed guard for Ricoā€™s cage, so itā€™ll minimize the mess a little more.

Oh yeah, they are very VERY grumpy when they donā€™t get enough sleep, and Rico is a lot more prone to latching onto my hand.

I have thought about that, and my bsf and I have concocted a plan: get jobs at 16, save up a few grand, and rent a pet friendly apt. Thankfully, the apartments around here are pretty chill about animals, and I can keep Rico quieter by keeping him busy or away from a window.

Although thinking about the world just sucks. Idk, thinking about it is really depressing. Like, you have to PAY for basic human rights. You have to PAY to SURVIVE. Iā€™ll bite my tongue on the rest, but Iā€™ll just say, seems pretty terrible.

Will do!

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby

Yep, not long after I get home, Iā€™d put them to bedā€¦ I should probably get a seed guard for Ricoā€™s cage, so itā€™ll minimize the mess a little more.

Oh yeah, they are very VERY grumpy when they donā€™t get enough sleep, and Rico is a lot more prone to latching onto my hand.

I have thought about that, and my bsf and I have concocted a plan: get jobs at 16, save up a few grand, and rent a pet friendly apt. Thankfully, the apartments around here are pretty chill about animals, and I can keep Rico quieter by keeping him busy or away from a window.

Although thinking about the world just sucks. Idk, thinking about it is really depressing. Like, you have to PAY for basic human rights. You have to PAY to SURVIVE. Iā€™ll bite my tongue on the rest, but Iā€™ll just say, seems pretty terrible.

Will do!
Yeah. I found it hard when I just started work and ā€˜freeā€™ from the talons of my parents. Iā€™ve only been away from home for about 2 years. Itā€™s still a bit hard. My apartment are pretty chill too. My neighbour has a super loud call duck. Another has a dog. Soooooo, I guess everythingā€™s going on well. When your a adult, youā€™re going to get long lectures about ā€˜the way of lifeā€™ or something.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Yeah. I found it hard when I just started work and ā€˜freeā€™ from the talons of my parents. Iā€™ve only been away from home for about 2 years. Itā€™s still a bit hard. My apartment are pretty chill too. My neighbour has a super loud call duck. Another has a dog. Soooooo, I guess everythingā€™s going on well. When your a adult, youā€™re going to get long lectures about ā€˜the way of lifeā€™ or something.
Blarg why does existing cost so much? Like, Iā€™m not even having fun šŸ˜©

Iā€™m just existing and PAYING MORE MONEY TO MORE BULL FARTS! Like, bruh.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc

Will do!
I really hope your plan works!

I had a similar plan when I was younger, except I had no friends to do it with and then my sister who I was going to move out with moved out on her own and lives with her friend so I have no way to leave just yet unfortunately. I'm 27 now and still live at home, unable to earn enough to move out especially with birds since places aren't pet friendly here.

The world isn't too bad though and I think you'll be fine once you can be on your own. Work sucks sometimes but I find that having choices as an adult even if they're not great ones is better than when you're a child and have no choice at all.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re having to deal with this. šŸ™ Being young and getting pulled in different directions with very little say in anything can be very hard. It sounds like you are doing a great job thinking ahead for Rico and Cricket. Since theyā€™re already used to going outside in cages, that will definitely help with the transition. Having a travel bag is a great idea; although it makes me think of a ā€œ bug out bagā€ like the the ā€œ preppersā€ have in case life as we know it collapses, lol! No doubt the birds will have to adapt a little to the move, but I think theyā€™ll do fine. If you do return to your current room with the birds to sleep, I think that will make the changes easier for them. Most animals are fine doing different things and going different places during the day so long as they have their familiar night routine. Really, as long as they are with you, ( their person, aka, bird slave) they should be okay no matter where they are. Whatever happens, Iā€™ll pray for a smooth transition for you, Rico, and Cricket! šŸ™ā¤ļø

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I really hope your plan works!

I had a similar plan when I was younger, except I had no friends to do it with and then my sister who I was going to move out with moved out on her own and lives with her friend so I have no way to leave just yet unfortunately. I'm 27 now and still live at home, unable to earn enough to move out especially with birds since places aren't pet friendly here.

The world isn't too bad though and I think you'll be fine once you can be on your own. Work sucks sometimes but I find that having choices as an adult even if they're not great ones is better than when you're a child and have no choice at all.
Same here, because if it doesnā€™t..? Wellā€¦ then I guess, screw me, right?

Iā€™m so sorry to hear thatā€¦ sometimes plans change, I suppose, even if it isnā€™t the best in your situation or doesnt have your best interest in mindā€¦ really sucks that your plan didnā€™t work out, because of your sister. She is an adult, and I hope she told you a few weeks before she dropped the bomb on you.

Idk man, the world sounds pretty hellish, from what I hear and read. Scratch that, from what I have seen with my own two eyes, itā€™s pretty bad. And also, driving. I hate driving with a passion.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re having to deal with this. šŸ™ Being young and getting pulled in different directions with very little say in anything can be very hard. It sounds like you are doing a great job thinking ahead for Rico and Cricket. Since theyā€™re already used to going outside in cages, that will definitely help with the transition. Having a travel bag is a great idea; although it makes me think of a ā€œ bug out bagā€ like the the ā€œ preppersā€ have in case life as we know it collapses, lol! No doubt the birds will have to adapt a little to the move, but I think theyā€™ll do fine. If you do return to your current room with the birds to sleep, I think that will make the changes easier for them. Most animals are fine doing different things and going different places during the day so long as they have their familiar night routine. Really, as long as they are with you, ( their person, aka, bird slave) they should be okay no matter where they are. Whatever happens, Iā€™ll pray for a smooth transition for you, Rico, and Cricket! šŸ™ā¤ļø

Well Iā€™m the one encouraging the divorce with my brother since literally no one in the house likes my dad- not even his grandma. And my dad is a man child, really. Cant control his emotions, you cannot disagree with him, he sits around all day watching his phone, he attacked my brother over my brother over my brother rolling his eyes, etc. so I knew it was coming, have seen it coming for four years.

Yesssss ā€œpointlessā€ sun time works again! Also, how does one strap a bird cage into a car seat? Is canā€™t be that hard, right?

That is partially why Iā€™m bringing the bag. What if the world DOES collapse? Need to be prepared!

Yeah, I think thatā€™s the plan. No way am I staying in the same room as my mom for the night. We would drive each other insane, especially since I am up until 2-7 AM, depending on when I wake up from my usual nap. And itā€™d be best for the birds.

I hope youā€™re right, lol. Hopefully, we have no casualties caused by stressā€¦

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Strap a bird cage in the same way you strap in a human. Itā€™s just more square and less squishy šŸ˜‰. I mostly cover the cage too, so the birds donā€™t freak out at all the moving scenery. That depends on your birds, though; some might like looking out the windows!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Strap a bird cage in the same way you strap in a human. Itā€™s just more square and less squishy šŸ˜‰. I mostly cover the cage too, so the birds donā€™t freak out at all the moving scenery. That depends on your birds, though; some might like looking out the windows!
I figured thatā€™s how itā€™d be done, but I figured id ask just to be sure. Thank you so much! Both of my gremlins like watching the outside world, so id wager theyā€™d enjoy seeing outside.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So, my parents are almost definitely getting divorced. Shocker, right? Yeah, Iā€™m not surprised in the slightest. Anyway, my mom and I discussed plans and Iā€™m not sure how this will work for my birdsā€¦

So, whatā€™s going on?

My mom is going to stay with her friend for a while, and my dad keeps the house. Where do I go? Both, of course. Stay at the friendā€™s house for the day, return home at night.

So now hereā€™s the question:

What on earth do I do with my birds? Like, I plan on taking them with me for the day since I canā€™t leave them home all day. Thatā€™d be so incredibly wrong. But idk what or how any of this could work out.

Cricket will be easy as pie to move around, as her cage is small and easy to secure into a car seat. But there isnā€™t a cage that I could comfortably fit Rico into that would be big enough for the day but small enough to fit into a car.

maybe I could ask if I could set up Ricoā€™s smaller dome top cage there, but she might say no.

Also, should I put my birds onto a vitamin supplement to boost their immune system during this whole mess?

Also, also, would a bird bag be a good idea? Just a bag full of food, extra toys, an Alan wrench (you never knew when you need one), a first aid kit, possibly vitamins, a towel, cayenne pepper, and nail clippers. Pretty much everything in my bird drawer, really.

I dunno, Iā€™m just stressed for my birds. I donā€™t care that my parents are splitting, Iā€™ve seen it coming for four years, but what I do care about is the fragile, scissor-faced chickens I live with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I'm so sorry your parents' issues are going to disrupt you life and your birds' lives. I think you should try to have cages set up for Rico at both places.
Why can't you just stay at your Dad's house? Why do you have to go back and forth like that?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I'm so sorry your parents' issues are going to disrupt you life and your birds' lives. I think you should try to have cages set up for Rico at both places.
Why can't you just stay at your Dad's house? Why do you have to go back and forth like that?
Itā€™s alright, weā€™ll adapt. Life happens and s**t changes. Sigh.

I donā€™t know if I can or cannot set up a cage for Rico there, as so far, nothing is concrete confirmed. But once we figure out what we are gonna do, Iā€™ll ask the friend about it. Sheā€™s cool, but idk how sheā€™d feel about having a cage in her place.

If Iā€™m being honest with you, I despise my dad. He is a cheater, a man child who canā€™t handle the idea that people have different opinions, he is emotionally abusive, heā€™s racist, every phobic under the sun, inconsiderate, rude, and I do NOT like him.

I would not want to spend the day essentially alone, taking care of myself and the house AND all the pets, since all he does is go to work and watch his phone. and any time he DOES talk to me, it ends up in an angry screaming match, where I end up scared he will attack me, just as he did to my brother. He hasnā€™t laid a hand on ME but the fact he did to my brother is enough reason for me to be afraid of him.

Iā€™d rather go back and forth to avoid almost all contact with my dad than be stuck alone in a house with him 24/7. His mere presence stresses me out and makes me feel angry. I have few memories of him, And even fewer positive memories- all of which were before I turned 10.

Sorry that was a bit ranty and venty, but it may give some insight as to why Iā€™d rather go back and forth than stay put.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Itā€™s alright, weā€™ll adapt. Life happens and s**t changes. Sigh.

I donā€™t know if I can or cannot set up a cage for Rico there, as so far, nothing is concrete confirmed. But once we figure out what we are gonna do, Iā€™ll ask the friend about it. Sheā€™s cool, but idk how sheā€™d feel about having a cage in her place.

If Iā€™m being honest with you, I despise my dad. He is a cheater, a man child who canā€™t handle the idea that people have different opinions, he is emotionally abusive, heā€™s racist, every phobic under the sun, inconsiderate, rude, and I do NOT like him.

I would not want to spend the day essentially alone, taking care of myself and the house AND all the pets, since all he does is go to work and watch his phone. and any time he DOES talk to me, it ends up in an angry screaming match, where I end up scared he will attack me, just as he did to my brother. He hasnā€™t laid a hand on ME but the fact he did to my brother is enough reason for me to be afraid of him.

Iā€™d rather go back and forth to avoid almost all contact with my dad than be stuck alone in a house with him 24/7. His mere presence stresses me out and makes me feel angry. I have few memories of him, And even fewer positive memories- all of which were before I turned 10.

Sorry that was a bit ranty and venty, but it may give some insight as to why Iā€™d rather go back and forth than stay put.
I get it. He sounds like a miserable *glassbowl* and you shouldn't have to be scared of his rage. Hopefully your mom will get a place of her own so you can have a more settled living situation. Does she do your home schooling? When are you going to finish high school? Maybe you can get a scholarship, go to college, and take Rico and Cricket with you. Where is your brother going to live? Isn't he younger than you?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I get it. He sounds like a miserable *glassbowl* and you shouldn't have to be scared of his rage. Hopefully your mom will get a place of her own so you can have a more settled living situation. Does she do your home schooling? When are you going to finish high school? Maybe you can get a scholarship, go to college, and take Rico and Cricket with you. Where is your brother going to live? Isn't he younger than you?
Why do you have cayenne pepper in your bird bag?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
He is. And now that he knows my mom is most likely leaving, that my brother and I donā€™t like him, and itā€™s all because of how HE is as a human, heā€™s even more miserable than ever, and is being extra nice to try and convince everyone to like him. Well, sorry but itā€™s far too late. He is nothing but a cowardly, arrogant, manchild.

She might be getting a higher paying job soon, but she wonā€™t be able to afford a lot of stuff still. Itā€™s unfortunate, but with increasing costs of living, and wages that donā€™t increase with it, stuff like that is all too common.

I do everything online, and if it isnā€™t an online class, I can do it whenever during the day. My mom literally does not care, just as long as I get it done and maintain a good grade, no harm done and everyone is happy and dandy. So nothing will change there, as I can just bring my computer on the days I have online class, and then bring it home to do the rest during the evening, so I can have a calm night off afterwards. As long as my dad doesnā€™t try and start anything after I get home.

I doubt any college would allow Ricoā€™s loud screaming. Cricket would be fine as she is fairly quiet, but Rico would be WAY too loud.

Nope, my brother is older. Heā€™ll be turning 18 next year and heā€™ll be gone. Iā€™m gonna miss that turdburglar. Heā€™s really cool.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Same here, because if it doesnā€™t..? Wellā€¦ then I guess, screw me, right?

Iā€™m so sorry to hear thatā€¦ sometimes plans change, I suppose, even if it isnā€™t the best in your situation or doesnt have your best interest in mindā€¦ really sucks that your plan didnā€™t work out, because of your sister. She is an adult, and I hope she told you a few weeks before she dropped the bomb on you.

Idk man, the world sounds pretty hellish, from what I hear and read. Scratch that, from what I have seen with my own two eyes, itā€™s pretty bad. And also, driving. I hate driving with a passion.
Me and my sister are good. It was an awful home environment for the both of us but I guess I can handle it more? She is basically homeless (staying half with friends and half with family) and the last few years have been hard on her. By staying I've managed to save a lot of money, and of course I've been able to have the birds which have kept me going. Also I was able to meet my boyfriend by staying and hopefully I can move in with him at some point. It wasn't easy when she left but I don't hold it against her and I know she feels guilty that she went. At the end of the day I'm an adult too and I could easily rehome the birds and go rent a room in a shared house if I really wanted to get away.

I think people's experiences of the world does vary. For me, my childhood was so bad that I don't think anything that happens to me as an adult can compare. I won't go into it, but I guess if your childhood is really good then the adult world would be a bit rubbish.

Even if your plans don't work out, there's always another path and another plan to be made. You always have some choice in what you do, and even in a situation where you have no choice, you always have a choice in how you react to it. I think you're making the best out of a difficult situation and that attitude will help you out a lot

Most Reactions