"birdy mash" a hit

brunettesrule

Jan 11, 2014
Media
Hervey Bay, QLD
Parrots
female eclectus parrot "ANGEL"
I cooked some peas, corn and carrot, the frozen mixed veg kind from Aldi's and let it cool and mixed in some parrot seed and sunflower seed and blended it all up. My daughter though it looked gross...lol. I gave the Princess Parrot some and he hasn't stopped eating it, which I am thrilled about. :) It will stop a lot of mess from him throwing the bird seed around. Have yet to see the conures eat it.

What else could I add to this mix, or are peas, corn and carrots enough (variety)?

Should I mess with this mix or keep this mix receipe for the princess parrot seeing he already enjoys it.

I brought some grapes and cut them up into quarters but none of the three birds took to them. We don't eat grapes, now I am stuck with a whole bag full - maybe mush these up as well?

Any comments would be appreciated.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
it sounds like it was a success :)

what you can do is slowly eliminate the seeds out of the good stuff.

you can try brown cooked rice, my birds go crazy for it, and love it!
peppers, cauliflower, and broccoli are a great food as well.

you can try many different things, but organic beans are a favourite too.
just remember to pre soak them for 24 hours before cooking. my conures love them.

any leafy green usually goes over very well too :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I recently started adding cooked Quinoa sometimes to my mix, and my guys love it. You could also try some fresh veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, purple cabbage, apples, cantalope, cooked sweet potatoe and lots of other choices:) My birds from the finches on up to the parrots eat it right up. Sometimes I add some long grain cooked rice to it as well. Here is a really helpful link as to what's safe:)

http://http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-food-recipes-diet/24213-bird-safe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh, and I forgot kale! They love it mixed in with other stuff, or just eat it straight from the leaf in their cage:)

OP
brunettesrule

brunettesrule

Jan 11, 2014
Media
Hervey Bay, QLD
Parrots
female eclectus parrot "ANGEL"
Thanks for the suggestions. So you think I should mix in those other vegies as well. As this is the first time I have made this, I just put in a bit of seed, but I will take it out, although it helps keep the seed mess down.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thanks for the suggestions. So you think I should mix in those other vegies as well. As this is the first time I have made this, I just put in a bit of seed, but I will take it out, although it helps keep the seed mess down.

I actually give my guys frozen thawed veggies in the morning, and the fresh stuff in the afternoon. Sometimes the afternoon feed is substituted with birdie bread or a bean mixture. I thaw the frozen veggies under running water.
I think that whatever you can do to get them eating healthy stuff is great:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts