Bitter Apple spray for birds?

Superbird

Jun 22, 2013
Parrots
Kiku my Black Cap Conure
My bird keeps chewing on electrical wires. I've bought wire protectors but he chews right through them or finds a small opening to get to the wire itself. She understands NO and responds to it. She will move away from the wires. But when I'm doing something else, she'll sneak in and start chewing again. It literally took her 30 seconds to chew through my keyboard and speaker wires. She also chews on furniture and it's exhausting to be on her every second. She's got lots of rotated chew toys but no use.

I was looking for solutions online and the bitter Apple spray came up. Link: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002AR22M?vs=1"]Amazon.com : Grannick Bitter Apple Spray for Birds 4oz : Pet Deterrent Sprays : Pet Supplies[/ame] Some people swear by it. I'm willing to try it as a supplementation to training. Will the taste keep birds from chewing on things? Most of all, it it safe? Thoughts? Any experiences with it?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well, first off, if your bird is not using the chew toys you bought him - maybe try some different types of chew toys. If your bird likes chewing on wires or furniture - try to find 'similar' items in bird chew toys. Ropes and wooden blocks are good ideas.

I find Skittles is partial to fabrics, ropes and 'fringy' things.

I've never used that spray so I can't comment on it. I know for me, what I did was just hide the wires out of eyesight and trained Skittles not to go certain places. You have to be consistent though.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Personally, I wouldn't trust the bitter apple spray as a deterrent to keep your bird away from something as dangerous as electrical wires. If your bird is actively going after the wires you need to find a way to safely cover them, as Aquila suggested or keep them completely out of her reach.

I'm not sure if the spray is safe for parrots, I think it's meant for larger animals.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My mom tried bitter apple spray to try and deter her amazon from chewing a leg cast to no avail. It may work for other animals, but I don't think it works well for parrots.

If your bird likes chewing cords, why not get her soft plastic bird toys to chew instead of wood ones? Maybe she likes the rubbery-texture? Plenty of birds do develop a liking for that soft plastic texture. Make her some toys with these kind of items and see if she likes those better (my bird prefers to chew this stuff up over wood):

PORCM Mini Porcupine Balls - MISCELLANEOUS TOY PARTS
GS704 Mini Neon Ducks - MISCELLANEOUS TOY PARTS

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
My mom tried bitter apple spray to try and deter her amazon from chewing a leg cast to no avail. It may work for other animals, but I don't think it works well for parrots.

If your bird likes chewing cords, why not get her soft plastic bird toys to chew instead of wood ones? Maybe she likes the rubbery-texture? Plenty of birds do develop a liking for that soft plastic texture. Make her some toys with these kind of items and see if she likes those better (my bird prefers to chew this stuff up over wood):

PORCM Mini Porcupine Balls - MISCELLANEOUS TOY PARTS
GS704 Mini Neon Ducks - MISCELLANEOUS TOY PARTS

now that's a great idea, along with the cord shields. Had a similar issue with my BFA.. He already had the concept of what "no" means. He liked electrical cords as well as the end table. Instead of making it a fight I just redirected his beak... to shoe strings (cloth and leather) and I put a piece of well seasoned 2x4 on the end table. It was cute watching him "ask permission" on what he could chew without getting a "no". The issue was solved in short order. I might have to sweep up the splinters fairly often but that is the only down side. Good luck.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
The best thing to do is completely cover them up - out of reach. If they see it, they'll go for it. They have cord organizers for electronics that you might look into. They allow you to hide all your wires for aesthetics, but it works great for pets and kids too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts