Bloody feathers please help!

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Cozy pulled out a small wing feather. She looked at me proudly with the feather in her mouth and wet blood on the feather and her beak. She is still not great with hands. How do I open up her wing to see the injury without traumatizing her? Is there a way??? Please help thanks!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If the whole feather including the butt end is in her beak, itā€™s entirely out. If broken off, itā€™s not. Sounds like she pulled the whole feather after it got damaged somehow?

I posted a photo of this about a week ago under a similar thread asking about dried blood on a dropped feather. Hereā€™s what a whole, pulled blood feather looks like:

C863778D-2BC2-4F99-8D88-B1C54D1AD8CE.jpeg

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
If the whole feather including the butt end is in her beak, itā€™s entirely out. If broken off, itā€™s not. Sounds like she pulled the whole feather after it got damaged somehow?

I posted a photo of this about a week ago under a similar thread asking about dried blood on a dropped feather. Hereā€™s what a whole, pulled blood feather looks like:

View attachment 42147
Here is a

View attachment 42147
here Is the feather
23E34B7E-3237-42FA-AB3F-F95920911105.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Huh. Honestly I canā€™t tell if she got the whole thing out. I THINK she did and itā€™s just a contour feather with a short feather vane which is why you see the short and bloody feather stumpā€¦

If she is really bleeding, sheā€™ll actually DRIP. I think she just did what Willow did a week ago: I noticed a tail feather was at a funny angle, he was in a crabby mood, and suddenly he handed (beaked) me this immature tail feather while having blood on the tip of his beak.

I looked at Willowā€™s behind and didnā€™t see any drips, though I didnā€™t catch him and examine the spot from which he pulled that feather.

I would just watch that this doesnā€™t become a habit. Bath bowl, anyone? That would be a non invasive way to help the feathers emerge.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Huh. Honestly I canā€™t tell if she got the whole thing out. Iā€™m sorry.

If she is really bleeding, sheā€™ll actually DRIP. I think she just did what Willow did a week ago: I noticed a tail feather was at a funny angle, he was in a crabby mood, and suddenly he handed (beaked) me this immature tail feather while having blood on the tip of his beak.

I looked at his behind and didnā€™t see any drips, though I didnā€™t catch him and examine the spot from which he pulled that feather.
There are no blood drippings like on to the ground or anything. But when she stretches her wing or preens I can see some bright red blood. She goes back to that spot too. Uhhhh what to do??

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would dust the area with corn starch if I was really concerned. But I think if she pulled it all out she will clot. Just keep an eye on her. Maybe give her a bath in a day or two to get the old blood off.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
From what I can see now when she lifts her wing herself, there is very little blood there now. So I think it has clotted. And it was a very small feather on the underside of her wing. Hopefully that will be the end of it. Although she keeps bothering with the area.

Unfortunately, Cozy has yet to try a bowl bath. I mist her once a week-ish. I will definitely try reintroducing it to her though.

Thanks for the help, HeatherG!

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Green Bean -Male Eclectus adopted 8/27/17 (6 months old)
How is she doing? I just went through something similar with my guy. The vet told me it's best to take photos and email so they can look at it and see if an appointment is needed. They said sometimes the bird is in pain and needs pain meds and to watch for signs of discomfort. My guy clearly was not in any pain or bothered by it at all. BTW, they do not recommend owner's remove blood feathers but occasionally the vet will want to remove.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
In case you need a link to professional veterinary help... second opinions, closer practices, whatever...
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.
Or... sometimes I find a place to start just by Googling "avian veterinarian near ((your location))"

Good luck!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Thanks everyone! Cozy seems to be doing ok now. Although, a few weeks before she pulled out that dang feather, she did fly into a chair trying to land on it and hurt that wing. She still is a little off with it but we are keeping a close eye on it. We have an avian vet very close by that we actually found on that website!

Most Reactions