Blue Front Amazon Sinusitis

Zilla1985

Jun 3, 2023
Parrots
One Blue Front Amazon
I've had a parrot since 1985. He had a bad sinus infection which he usually gets in the springtime but now his left nostril is huge. What can we do. His vet passed away and I can't get him in to new avian vet for another month. It doesn't seem to bother him and he is breathing fine. Any suggestions? See photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230603_214945_Gallery~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230603_214945_Gallery~2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 30

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry you’re here under such unfortunate circumstances!

That looks uncomfortable! How long has it been this way?
This almost reminds me of what I’ve seen pictures of in cockatiels and greys when they’re Vitamin A deficient.

I can’t be of much help as I’ve never dealt with anything like this before but hopefully someone else will chime in!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forum!

Sinus issue can be highly environmental, but a Vitamin A deficient can contribute. If you would like, you can add a powder "A "additive to your Amazon's dry food by sprinkling a tiny bit on it. The best method in increasing the amount of green veggies your Amazon is getting.

Now to the environmental issues!

First, where in this huge World are you! If in the US, a state or region would be very helpful.

Late Winter and Spring time are common times when the toll of low Winter Humidity displays the effects, commonly with bad sinus infections. Just as common by mid to late Spring Amazons will use their nails to attempt to pull out the blockage, which in turns irritates the nostril and skin loss can occur.
Good Vet care with flushing the sinus and nostrils during the Winter and early Spring helps.
But, Assuring that your indoor Humidity level is 45 to 50% or a bit higher if possible is better.
If you have a forced air heating system, change your filters more often.
If you have a forced air heating system, add a whole home, humidification system.
- if not, upgrade your in room air filter(s) and add a room humidification system.

NOTE: If your Amazon is have this kind of problem, just consider what your home environment is doing for you and your family. Consider this a family health issue when you look at costs.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Will he take a shower or let you mist him? If so I would try a warm steam shower or warm mist from the water bottle along with all the things mentioned above by Sailboat.

Most Reactions

Latest posts