Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Just wondering .... when it comes to me getting a new bird, which will likely happen in the next few years as my boys are quite elderly, would I be better off with a White Capped or a Blue Headed Pionus? Or is there any difference? I've been told there's not much of a difference between species of Pionus and all my experience has been with a white capped.

What have your experiences been? What would you do in my scenario? Anything that really stands out with either species? :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think the blue headed Pionus are more beautiful but probably rare. I’ve had bronze winged and white capped Pionus and I thought the white capped Pionus were more mellow.

I’m guessing blue headed Pionus are much more expensive, too.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have had both a White-capped Pi and a Blue-headed Pi.
My White-capped, Pisces, was super quiet and was not much of a people person. She liked being around us but really didn't want us to dote on her.

My Blue-headed is the opposite in many ways. He is loud on a regular basis, and he reminds me of my conures in his attitude. He doesn't bite often and you can see if coming from a mile away as he fluffs himself up to twice his size before he bites.
Talli is funny, and works hard to learn new things to say. Pisces never spoke.
Pisces took any changes in stride while Talli freaks out until he gets used to something.

These are only 2 birds though and I'm sure that others have had different experiences.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Huh. My white capped Pionus was so so friendly she could be annoying. Mostly, she got ‘in the mood’ and made a repetitive call while trying to snuggle her buttfeathers into my neck or ear.

But she was a sweet bird. The bronze wing was nice most of the time but went through a biting phase.

neither was like a Quaker with denAnding to be with you all the time.

Most Reactions