Brand new blue and gold momma

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
On about 1 week ago, my mom took a bird from a man who was severely disabled, he had not been able to care for her properly, she asked us to take her because we are home all the time and can care for her. We have her since Saturday and she is doing wonderfully. She's such a joy! She had plucked some but is not regrowing! Her is my question. She came with a huge perch, and her cage. I took to some Facebook groups who have completely bashed me, and I'm hoping the same won't happen here! The wheels on her cage were broken and we took them off, so her cage pretty much sits on the ground, we were told her cage is not big enough, but I have no idea. She can comfortable spread her wings, and her tail doesn't touch bottom of cage, we have an open door policy so to speak, and only put her at her cage if she wants to go to get a break, and night or when we go to town. She goes in her cage and I top, I don't know how to post pics on here, I found a "minimum cage" size recomenndation, and it is a little bigger then that, we do plan on getting her a new one in January when we get taxes, but wanted to know if she's ok for now? I've been told my bird should be taken from me that we don't care about her and so on. I can email pics to someone if they would be willing to offer some advice!

I did figure out how to add an album and put a few pics there

Facebook groups get kind of crazy that's for sure. I would definitely get her a new cage. That one should work just fine for temp until you can buy a new one but it isn't a macaw cage. It needs sturdy bars and the dimensions look like they could be better. It is defnintely not a horrible option compared to some other cages people put them in!

40x30 is the minimum and since you say you have her out all the time you don't necessarily have to go bigger. But bigger is a good idea if you can't take them out some days or something happens that they are in the cage for longer. You want them to be able to spread wings and climb around without the tail bashing everything. The bars on that cage could be snapped and pried off by her that's why I say it isn't a macaw cage plus that door seems kind of small. If she ever gives you attitude it looks like it might be hard to maneuver with that opening.

She needs more perches to use and choose from. Some more toys wouldn't hurt either. I'm not sure what that is hanging in the cage but it looks like frabic and a lot of frabic can be swallowed and cause problems when they swallow the debris from chewing on it.

What are you feeding her so far?

Uploading pics try photobucket.com and than share an img link here. It's what I use to share pics.

Ah welcome and congrats on the new girl:D Don't be surprised if another one somehow ends up in the house!

We thought we had plenary of toys lol!! She just has two perches in the cage, and then a huge tree like perch in living room. We are definitely getting a new cage, I've been looking already. Didn't think about door size. He had bandanas hanging in cage, she climbs up and down them to play, he said she also like to shred them, but hasn't yet. She sleeps on top at night. If we ever had to shut the door, would it be ok for her? Or leave it open? We are feeding her a mixed pellet type food, it was in a Tupperware bowl, he said he buys it from pets mart, we also have been giving her nuts. Walnuts and almonds. Dried fruits as treats. And she managed to steal me egg for breakfast today ;) i definitely like the idea of a dome cage! Versus her flat one now.

We thought we had plenary of toys lol!! She just has two perches in the cage, and then a huge tree like perch in living room. We are definitely getting a new cage, I've been looking already. Didn't think about door size. He had bandanas hanging in cage, she climbs up and down them to play, he said she also like to shred them, but hasn't yet. She sleeps on top at night. If we ever had to shut the door, would it be ok for her? Or leave it open? We are feeding her a mixed pellet type food, it was in a Tupperware bowl, he said he buys it from pets mart, we also have been giving her nuts. Walnuts and almonds. Dried fruits as treats. And she managed to steal me egg for breakfast today ;) i definitely like the idea of a dome cage! Versus her flat one now.

Okay my iPad died so let's try this again!

After you have played with a couple problem macaws in their cage you get why door size helps:D

If she doesn't play with toys you may think you have plenty:p If she doesn't know how to destroy toys you'll have to teach her how to play with them. I'll have to get some pics of the macaw toys we have made up for the shelter birds. Baby toys are a good option for macaws too and you can pick those up at the thrift store. I'll get some pics of some of those too for you.

If she's trained to stay in a certain area and not to chew on things that are not hers than you can leave it open. But she can chew through carpet, wood, doors, everything....so it's up to you and how she's trained. Most people it works better to have them caged at night and parts of the day. In the pics you looked young so she might be caged more in the future and you want her to be ready to deal if that were to happen.

Can you get pics of whatever you are feeding her so we can see if we recognize it? You will also want to feed her fresh foods as often as possible. Diet section has a pinned post at the top for some safe foods.

Also, what kind of pans and such do you use the kitchen? Teflon can kill parrots so check what you have in the kitchen. No candles, air freshener, no bleach (kind of figured you'd guess this one) or other cleaning agents. Use apple cider vinegar on her cage to clean it or other bird safe options. No bells since they can swallow the metal unless you get one of the nice expensive ones for her that is well made and stainless steel. Any house plants need to be checked if they are toxic. Ummmm a lot of this is second nature anymore so I'm sure I'm not thinking of other things.

I like dome top cages even if I only have stacker cages right now!

Self cleaning oven is also a no....there's still more I'm sure....

Oh and you probably want to get blood work done to see where she is health wise. Avian vet not a regular vet.

Okay my iPad died so let's try this again!

After you have played with a couple problem macaws in their cage you get why door size helps:D

If she doesn't play with toys you may think you have plenty:p If she doesn't know how to destroy toys you'll have to teach her how to play with them. I'll have to get some pics of the macaw toys we have made up for the shelter birds. Baby toys are a good option for macaws too and you can pick those up at the thrift store. I'll get some pics of some of those too for you.

If she's trained to stay in a certain area and not to chew on things that are not hers than you can leave it open. But she can chew through carpet, wood, doors, everything....so it's up to you and how she's trained. Most people it works better to have them caged at night and parts of the day. In the pics you looked young so she might be caged more in the future and you want her to be ready to deal if that were to happen.

Can you get pics of whatever you are feeding her so we can see if we recognize it? You will also want to feed her fresh foods as often as possible. Diet section has a pinned post at the top for some safe foods.

Also, what kind of pans and such do you use the kitchen? Teflon can kill parrots so check what you have in the kitchen. No candles, air freshener, no bleach (kind of figured you'd guess this one) or other cleaning agents. Use apple cider vinegar on her cage to clean it or other bird safe options. No bells since they can swallow the metal unless you get one of the nice expensive ones for her that is well made and stainless steel. Any house plants need to be checked if they are toxic. Ummmm a lot of this is second nature anymore so I'm sure I'm not thinking of other things.

I like dome top cages even if I only have stacker cages right now!

While bleach should not be used in their vicinity. You can and should use it to clean any baby toys you buy from thrift stores, just wash it outside (dilute the bleach with water), then rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry (outside) before bringing it in. Bleach should also be used if you buy a used cage, or stand, same steps.

Zinc coated metal (galvanized is bad), Safe Metals For Parrots

List of safe and unsafe foods Diet: Safe & Toxic Foods

I assume the plastic under the cage is to protect the carpet. Something that might work better is to go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy a square peace of linoleum(sheet of vinyl) to put under the cage, then you can just clean it. Even take it and the cage outside to clean.

edit: I was looking at your cage, and those doors will not keep a Macaw in if they want out (the "locks" are not protected from the bird). You could get some stainless Steel Round Swivel Eye Bolt Snap
https://jet.com/product/detail/af4173ce19f24c6c9d0dd24b2e99ba31?jcmp=pla:ggl:hardware_a3:hardware_accessories_a3_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=c1ca6c84-4a61-4abe-b46e-6e13c30676ad&gclid=CjwKEAiA64uyBRCVmKyT2vuAjzgSJADfINB6lpycKbDKSMZbiWurbg6A57waJBzWZHhRJ-BgBXbdmRoCzF_w_wcB to secure the doors.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, Jess. :)

Here are some of the pictures in your album:
jessw931-albums-sami-picture15649-image.jpeg

jessw931-albums-sami-picture15648-image.jpeg

Here is a thread that explains how to post pictures directly: http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures.html

You've received some outstanding advice already! :D Best of luck with your new girl.

Yall are awesome! That's actually my daughter holding her ;) we have junky old Walmart pans. And yea the plastic is just a $1 tablecloth to keep her from pooping on carpet. My kids have hit up Pinterest to make all kinds of toys but she doesn't really play with them. One thing she does like is shower curtain rings, we hook them on her cage and she gets them off. House plants is something I didn't think about! I'll research those today! I knew about the candles air fresheners and such from having parakeets in past so I was good there! She really is an awesome bird to have not been socialized a lot, and she may have been more then my mom thought! Oh! Bath- she's needs one terribly! But isn't liking the idea, any suggestions? Again thank you thank you thank you

Try taking her into the shower with you. :) She may not have gotten a bath in way too long, so it may take her some time to learn to 'enjoy' them.

I'm not bashing, but that cage is way too small.

40x30 is the generally accepted minimum sized macaw cage.

My redfront is in a 40 by 30.

My greenwing is in a 48 x 36.

Too soon to say if the feather follicles are damaged. Wait until the next molt, see if she regrows feathers. Bathe a minimum of once a week. Interaction and outside time will help reduce plucking.

Last edited:
The largest cage per dollar spent is going to be one of these two cages

Silverado Macaw Bird Cage 3155S Prevue Pet Products

Empire Large Bird Cage 3157 Prevue Pet Products

Each one is about $450 on amazon. I own the Empire cage, and it is well worth it. You can also keep an eye out on craigslist, if you buy a craigslist cage, just make sure you bleach the heck out of it before moving your bird in.

Maggie is in a King's double macaw cage which is similar to the Silverado, only, obviously two front panels, and a little wider. That's the one I would go with of those two if I could swing it.

Well while doing dishes- she started saying water water, I have tried and tried to get her into a bathtub/shower anything, well she decided my super small kitchen sink was more her style! She took a great bath :) made a mess of my kitchen lol, but so happy she took a bath!

I looked on Amazon and found one we will buy this January it is the Silverado one. Her cage currently is 4ft tAll by 3ft5 wide and 1ft11 deep. So this is a little bigger than recommended for macaws, how and why would her feathers be damaged?

Last edited:
HAHAHAHA!! Oh that is awesome! I bet she's feeling better already. :) Is your kitchen under water now? :54:

Well while doing dishes- she started saying water water, I have tried and tried to get her into a bathtub/shower anything, well she decided my super small kitchen sink was more her style! She took a great bath :) made a mess of my kitchen lol, but so happy she took a bath!

I got inspired this morning, and this is Bonny's first shower (only had baths before this), she loved it. Before this I had tried to get her to take showers, but she would have nothing of it. The trick was to get in with her.

T13MBF4.jpg

Last edited:
I looked on Amazon and found one we will buy this January it is the Silverado one. Her cage currently is 4ft tAll by 3ft5 wide and 1ft11 deep. So this is a little bigger than recommended for macaws, how and why would her feathers be damaged?

She's plucking. Plucking CAN damage the feather follicles (i.e. the things new feathers grow from) Once the feather follicles are damaged, they don't regrow feathers in that spot. So this is a wait and see.

LACK OF REGULAR BATHING can cause plucking disorders, with Macaws it's usually isolation and lack of attention (i.e. depression). If her feathers are nasty, and she just can't stand it any more, she might just rip them out... it does happen. If that's all it was, then regular bathing and the next molt could find her regrowing feathers.

Last edited:
Ok gotcha!!! She doesn't seem to be plucking anymore, should i offer her a bath more than once a week? She's getting plenty of attention now maybe more than she wants ;) but it seemed stress and loneliness were her cause for plucking. She looks a lot better since bath! She had a lot of dandruff !! She is regrowing "fluffy feathers" now, not sure exactly what they are called.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back