Breakfast & Dinner portions

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
I'm still learning which foods Emmett likes and dislikes. It seems he throws a lot out of his bowl and some is left uneaten. I offer a combination of fresh fruits & vegetables mixed with something such as cooked oatmeal or wild rice.

What size portions do you feed your Eclectus?

OP
Fiwi

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
Sorry, i dont know yet... Just wanted to see how you and emmett are getting along. Did he enjoy his vacation?

Emmett is doing great! We had a fantastic vacation and he even seemed to enjoy the drive -- he was very chatty! I think the Florida sun agreed with him! He came sounding like an osprey!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I don't know about Eclectus's for sure, but I would say to let him eat until he's full!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I'm still learning which foods Emmett likes and dislikes. It seems he throws a lot out of his bowl and some is left uneaten. I offer a combination of fresh fruits & vegetables mixed with something such as cooked oatmeal or wild rice.

I find if i chop all fruit & veg in small cube size pieces, about the same size as the frozen carrot cubes. I also put my eccies food in a medium ceramic dog bowl on the floor of their cage. I also have to place a newspaper under the bowl so the food doesn't fall through the grate. It does take eccies awhile to learn how to hold their food in their foot to eat.

Try him with some sprouts in the mix as well. A good serving spoon about the size of a small soup ladle should be plenty each meal. There is some times a bit of wastage with these birds. They tend to leave a bowl of mush after they are finished chewing it all to a pulp. If you think there is to much wastage cut back on what you give him. As a rule of thumb give him enough food that he will consume in 1 hour. He will let you know when he's hungry. My lot call when the dish is empty. You get to know when they have run out of something.:D

OP
Fiwi

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus

I find if i chop all fruit & veg in small cube size pieces, about the same size as the frozen carrot cubes. I also put my eccies food in a medium ceramic dog bowl on the floor of their cage. I also have to place a newspaper under the bowl so the food doesn't fall through the grate. It does take eccies awhile to learn how to hold their food in their foot to eat.

Try him with some sprouts in the mix as well. A good serving spoon about the size of a small soup ladle should be plenty each meal. There is some times a bit of wastage with these birds. They tend to leave a bowl of mush after they are finished chewing it all to a pulp. If you think there is to much wastage cut back on what you give him. As a rule of thumb give him enough food that he will consume in 1 hour. He will let you know when he's hungry. My lot call when the dish is empty. You get to know when they have run out of something.:D

Thanks! Right now, Emmett doesn't get that excited to eat. Perhaps he will when he's been with us longer. I've cut back on his seed mix in hopes that it will encourage him to eat more fresh foods. Tonight he's having wild rice, edamame, butternut squash, broccoSprouts, and pommegranet arils and green beans.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I would advise you not to give more then 1 cup of food at a time. Like the other post above, cutting your Eclectus's food in smaller pieces seems to help with your eclectus eating better and less mess.
Give them fresh fruit and veggies everyday. I also have 1 cup of Zupreme pellets in my Guapo's cage at all times. I change his water 4 times daily due to Eclectus love to put everything in their water. Make sure you wash the water bowl between filling up the water due to food particles left on the bowl could make your Eclectus sick.
Try to limit seeds and nuts as they are pretty fatty and you need to watch your eclectus's weight. Buy a scale to monitor his weight.
Eclectus also love showers. I bath both my boys 2 times per week and 3 times per week when they molt. I have 2 wall perch inside my shower. I take a shower with my boys.
While my boys are wet to the bone, i use 100% pure aloe vera the size of a dime, rub my hands together, then rub my boys all over, this does 2 things, it's really great for their feathers and skin while molting and when I blow dry them, it does not dry out their skin. Best of luck to you with your new arrival. Thanks Joe

OP
Fiwi

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
Thanks for the advice, Joe! Emmett loves to shower! He showers at least 2x/week. I didn't know about the Aloe, so I will certainly do that with his next shower.

The bird farm gave me a seed mix when I bought him, but I've all but eliminated it from his daily diet. In additions to fresh fruits, veggies & whole grains He has Zupreem NutBlend pellets in his cage. Sometimes I worry he eats too much of the NutBlend. He really loves it.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
My wife says that I feed both Mac & Tiki way to much food. But I like to give them a variety and by the time I combine everything, I have a full bowl. So they aren't food deprived. I feed them morning and afternoon with a few treats thrown in the mix.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I'm like JJ, I take a shower with my babies too. They love it when I get my hair wet and shake my head and get water all over them and they will fluff their feathers and do the same to me.

My wife sometimes will come into the bathroom to tell me times up because we will spend more time in the shower than she would like and complains that the water bill will be high at the end of the month. That is when I offer her a shower as well with the old "No Thanks, catch you later". :(

Last edited:
OP
Fiwi

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
BTW, Joe, you advised not more than 1 cup of food. I give Emmet about 1/3 cup and he never finishes and there's even some on the bottom of his cage? How much is enough?

Would love to know how much other Ekkies consume per meal.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
BTW, Joe, you advised not more than 1 cup of food. I give Emmet about 1/3 cup and he never finishes and there's even some on the bottom of his cage? How much is enough?

Would love to know how much other Ekkies consume per meal.

Fiwi 1/3 of a cup is plenty for a meal for your eclectus. A weaned babies crop shrinks as they get older & their crop capacity is only 20 to 30 mls by the time they are an adult, so leaving more food than they can consume in 1 hour at the most is just wasting food. My eclectus will eat for about 1/2 hour twice a day, morning & afternoon.

I would give a breeding pair with 2 chicks in the nest a cup of chopped fruit, veg & sprouts 3 times a day. When they babies are taken i cut back to only what they need.

BellasMamma

Aug 18, 2012
Las Vegas NV USA
Parrots
Bella = RS Eclectus
Hi there...I am still learning Bella's too. We've had her just about a month and she is 17 months old. I do about 1/3 cup as well 2 x a day...she dont eat it all. I too am cutting back on her seed/nut mix...but she loves it. As I type I am giving her plain cooked oatmeal with green grapes, snap peas, and about 12 sunflower seeds...she is goin to town. I've never seen her eat like this. She likes the oatmeal...I didnt know she could have it. How often can they have cooked oatmeal or cooked rice?? Anyone?? Thanks.

Most Reactions