Breathing problem.?

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
One of my birds has been having some issues since I got him. The previous owner had them for 3 months and they were kept in a cage (never out) and in a small, dusty shed. When I went to pick them up, their cage tray was overflowing with dirt and emptied out seed. They were only fed a wild bird seed mix and sometimes only sunflower seeds, never got veg and filthy water. He had a lump at his left nostril...started to go down within a week or 2 so ended up not taking him to the vet for that....not sure if it is related to the breathing problems. He has had watery eyes on and off, with both eyes and he will lose the hair around the eye (his left is is fine now). He was making sounds when he breathed, sometimes a wet snuffle sound and other times a dry sound (from 21 seconds - 38 seconds in the video) I ended up taking him to an avian vet. He was given 2 medications...metacam and a liquid antibiotic. Both syringed into his mouth twice a day for 4 weeks. I only ever heard him make the noise twice while on it but when he had 4 more days of meds left, he started doing it again more frequently. It has been a little time since and he still makes squeaking/snuffle sounds occasionally, definitely not as much as before. Times that he would be worse is after taking a bath, when eating and when sleeping. Sometimes there is swelling on his chest, like a lump moving up and down, which you can see in the video. Hoping someone might have an idea what is going on.? Is there a test kit you can buy to test for bacterial or fungal infection without having to take him into the vet.? He has already been tested for chlamydia through a 3 day stool sample. Only reason he has waited so long to go to the vet for more testing (vet mentioned x-ray and bloodwork) is because I have heard of birds dying from stress just going for claw trims and just so worried about that happening. He isn't tame. When he went in for a check up, he screamed the whole time the vet was holding him. How would he be tested for Aspergillosis.? I feel like it may be this due to the old seeds on the tray, they would probably have been down eating it all the time. Also, is it worth treating for Iodine deficiency incase it's this.? Would that be safe to do.? The other bird has no symptoms of anything and they are free flying 24/7 so doesn't seem to be anything that can spread through birds. The link below is for the video of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMgfUUXuhwI

DSCF1087.JPG

DSCF1266x.jpgDSCF1011.JPGDSCF1267x.jpgDSCF1272.JPG
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/aspergillosis-in-birds
The lump next to his nostrilP9257077x (2).jpgDSCF0072x.jpgDSCF0009.JPG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Can you take him back to the vet if he’s still sick? Or call them and ask for the meds to be continued?

there are no home test kits for bird diseases.

Thank you for taking this bird in from its sad previous home.

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Can you take him back to the vet if he’s still sick? Or call them and ask for the meds to be continued?

there are no home test kits for bird diseases.

Thank you for taking this bird in from its sad previous home.
Thank you. 1 of my worst fears when any of my pets have to be sedated is losing them through it and I thought, he has had the problem for quite some time so surely can't be life threatening, which is terrible that he has been left for that reason but he does finally have an appointment booked for Wednesday (only avian vet in my area so been busy) and hopefully get to the bottom of it

Catlady53

Nov 7, 2019
Pennsylvania
Parrots
White fronted amazon
Please get him to avian vet again..if he is having trouble breathing he must be seen by vet, the sooner the better. There are so many things that can be done if one thing or another doesn’t seem to be working. He may need some breathing treatments with a nebulizer. With everything I’ve just been through with upper respiratory and sinus issues for my own little guy, my advice would be to let the experts help you along. Poor little guy, I wish you both well, sinus issues can be an ongoing thing it seems. Please get well little guy!
Thank you. 1 of my worst fears when any of my pets have to be sedated is losing them through it and I thought, he has had the problem for quite some time so surely can't be life threatening, which is terrible that he has been left for that reason but he does finally have an appointment booked for Wednesday (only avian vet in my area so been busy) and hopefully get to the bottom of it

Most Reactions

Latest posts