Bringing parrot on plane (in cabin) during COVID?

robobird

Jun 25, 2020
Hi, this is my first post but I'm moving from the West Coast all the way to Connecticut for grad school in a few weeks. Due to the distance, my family decided for now to fly with Delta airlines to help me move in.

Has anyone taken a plane ever since coronavirus restrictions have begun? I know it's kind of an odd question when you hopefully had a mask on, but I was wondering if I should expect any bleachy smells in the cabin, if flight attendants or passengers are walking around with chemical sprays etc. I have a 17 y/o Meyer's parrot and I obviously would not want to be reckless to her, but I was really hoping bringing her as a carry-on would be a possibility.

Otherwise, she will be staying with my family for the first year of school, but the two entities are not fond of each other. As for asking the vet and the airline, I'm working on that rn but was so curious about this in the meantime. Thanks!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
If she is staying with your family then it sounds like she does not Have to travel with you, right? For her health I would strongly advise against traveling via airline with a bird right now if you can avoid it at all, for the very reasons you mentioned -- lots and lots of chemical sprays, "sanitized" surfaces with poorly-filtered and highly-recirculated cabin air. If she does not Have to come with you then why subject her to this risk?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'd check with Delta and learn of the various cabin sanitizing protocols during COVID. While parrots are more sensitive than humans, the type of chemicals are critical to all. Delta is not currently embargoing pets in cabin: https://www.delta.com/us/en/pet-travel/overview

A portion of airliner cabin air is recirculated but passes through HEPA filters. Pressurization and air conditioning is a continuous process, with complete air exchange every few minutes during flight. Personally, I'd be less worried about the enroute portion as opposed to lingering disinfectant sprays during the relatively quick turnaround process from previous to current flight.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'd check with Delta and learn of the various cabin sanitizing protocols during COVID. While parrots are more sensitive than humans, the type of chemicals are critical to all. Delta is not currently embargoing pets in cabin: https://www.delta.com/us/en/pet-travel/overview

A portion of airliner cabin air is recirculated but passes through HEPA filters. Pressurization and air conditioning is a continuous process, with complete air exchange every few minutes during flight. Personally, I'd be less worried about the enroute portion as opposed to lingering disinfectant sprays during the relatively quick turnaround process from previous to current flight.

Plus with State and National restrictions changing every week and if you have a "short time span." You will likely get a ton of hoops to jump though: Current Health Documents from a Certified Avian Vet (commonly takes up to six plus weeks) faster if your are a regular client with a recent visit in the last six to eight months, but even than it will likely be at less four plus weeks with in-home visits. You will need the Airlines requirement before even taking to your CAV and their documents in hand! Also, I would expect to hear a fair number of States shutting-down individuals coming in from specific areas of the West and Southwest.

It could be up to several months before even you will be allowed in to some Northeastern States.

FYI: Will your rental even allow you to have a Parrot, etc, etc, etc... You have a ton of work ahead of you... You may have to consider a Road Trip!!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions