Brought Home a Grey on Saturday

Surfincr

Nov 13, 2013
CT
Parrots
Ziggy (African Grey) and Elvis B&G
Brought Home a Grey on Saturday -Updated with questions

After meeting a Grey at my aunts house and learning i really dont want to get a mccaw with the little experience i have i posted an ad on craigslist offering a good home to a grey in need. to detract for a moment i could have purchased a bird but i decided i would rather work with an animal in need rather than risk buying one from the wrong person or have worse problems. both of my german shepherds were rescues with issues and i've worked with horses and other dogs with abused and neglected pasts so it only made sense to me. i figured i probably wouldnt hear anything for a few months if at all. i received an email the same day from a woman looking to rehome her 2 year old grey. unfortunately he only trusted her husband who could handle him with no problem but he had bit her so she became scared to handle him so he was spending too much time in the cage since her husband didnt want to take him out after a long day at work. After observing him interact with her husband he seemed like a great bird so we made the logical choice from him to come home with us.

he was very quiet the first day but seems to be settling in nicely as he started talking on the second day. we're still working with him to get him to trust us and he's finally starting to be ok with the large dogs being around and we learned he does not like other birds as he walked up to the conure cage and fluffed himself up at them.

i'm hoping he will settle in fast but i'm ready to have as much patience as needed with this guy.

Attachments

• Ziggy.jpg
    Ziggy.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
I don't have much advice, I'm sorry, I just wanted to say that I'm very happy for you. Grey parrots are adorable, and I hope you and your bird create a very strong bond. :)

Last edited:
OP
S

Surfincr

Nov 13, 2013
CT
Parrots
Thank you both. something surprising happened yesterday, we let him out of his cage yesterday after a while he flew down to the floor and walked around. after exploring for a few minutes and glaring at the conures he actually walked up to me and put his head under my knee asking for a scratch. after a couple of scratches he picked his head up and lifted his leg up asking to be picked up which i did. he was actually quite fine with it.

after reading all the stories on here i really did not expect this to happen so quick i was fully ready to be waiting a couple months.

OP
S

Surfincr

Nov 13, 2013
CT
Parrots
As an update so far he is still doing very good, he talks up a storm when i or my girlfriend leaves the room. he loves to come out and sit on the couch with me and just get patted. there are a couple of things i am curious about. when he wants to be patted he will walk up and put his beak to the ground. if you stop he will walk up open his beak and put it on you. he doesnt bite or if he does there is no pressure behind it is this something that is ok or should i discourage it?

the other thing he will do is when he is in his cage he will put his body parallel to the ground stick his head way out and half open his wings. he doesnt seem mad or upset but is it something i should be concerned with?

Most Reactions

Latest posts